Dual 8800GT's or Single 8800GTX

agentsmith957

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
The dual 8800GTs will perform better than the 8800GTX in most games that support SLI. For the ones that don't, the 8800GT still provides comparable performance to a single GTX, so I would say it is worth it, especially since it wont cost much more.

pauldh

Illustrious
Just depends on the Game, resolution, and settings. But overall as has been said, the SLI 8800GT setup has the potential for much higher performance.

To me, you would be better off deciding between dual 8800GT or saving money for a single 8800GTS 512MB. Look into the games you play and the res you play at to see if you need more power than that. It's pretty close to the 8800GTX most of the time, and alot cheaper. Shoot, you could always add a second one if you want more performance.

The biggest downside of dual 8800GT that I have found is the heat & noise when using the original reference cooler. I ended up installing aftermarket coolers in under 2 months. If noise bothers you forget dual 8800GT with reference coolers. The performance has been great though.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Ultimately it depends on the games you play, SLI supported or not? Also it depends on the size of your monitor and resolution you want to play games @.

I for one like the single GTX better then dual GT. You could always get a second GTX and destroy the SLI GT’s.

***Yes I can hear everyone now ‘’the GT is ALMOST as fast as GTX’’… At the end of the day GT isn’t as fast as GTX 1 vs. 1

I agree, but at the end of the day your power meter has spun less with a GT.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Perhaps just get one 8800GT now, and see what you think of the performance level. You may find that you do not need to invest in a second one. Then the money can be spent elsewhere on your system or for one of your other hobbies.

I have a 8800GTS 512 and I really dont have any need for more power on the GPU side of things.

Somethin to consider at least. :)

KJThaDon

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
I basically play Cod4, Crysis, BioShock, GRAW, and a couple other but I would like to play them on high - 1440x900 resolution. I have a single 7600gt right now and would like to increase my performance by a lot.

Thanks for the replies

Nah, tits, testicles and graphic cards are all better in pairs [:mousemonkey].