nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Seriously... the answer is for the frame rates and abilities, to say the very least. Why bother w/dual core, quad core, or dual channel and raid? SLi and 3way SLi are equally as worthless right?

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Why you ask? Because the better/more the parts our, usually the better the performance they put out. It's pretty simple like buying a car. Want fuel efficient or a Ferrari or something in the middle like a Corvette?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Upping the amount of cores while changing to a more efficient architecture nets huge performance gains. I don't need to say more than: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=895&model2=872&chart=421

Also, by increasing the number of cores, paired with an OS that can optimize core usage (or even running multi-threaded apps.) will allow the CPU to balance a load that would normally be used only one one core, to two or more. Ex. Think of being a store where only one cashier has an open line. You start to get a build up of customers waiting to be checked... by adding another cashier with an open line, you increase the amount of customers that can be checked out in the same amount of time.

SLI is improving, and is great for those that want to run high resolutions while maintaining maximum fps plus eye candy. If you're a moron and go out and purchase SLI with two high-end cards @ 1024x768, you're not going to see any difference in performance.

I think the reason you're saying SLI is worthless is simply because the cost / frame is not the same as it is with one card. Ex. 2 cards may only net a 30-50% increase as opposed to the 100% increase that most would assume a second card would add. This also holds true for adding a third card. Granted, the third card offers up even less performance than the second card then, and you can only assume this trend will continue as more cards are added.

The fact that you are asking the question makes me think that you wouldn't understand the answer.

Ignorance it bliss until you start opening your mouth with subjects you do not understand. Then making ignorant statements is just foolish in a forum made for people to discuss, share, ask questions, or gain knowledge on this subject.

A person uneducated in PC hardware should have asked what the performance gains, advantages, and use of these technologies are. You would have been greeted with open arms and everyone would help you to understand and gain knowledge. But instead you came in to say it is all worthless. :pfff:

nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
I am responding to an article written by one Tom's fabulous staff members. The crossfire article. Read it then come and bitch at me. I'm not asking a question. I mean who would say "why bother with crossfire".
forgive me

nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Submit your responses to the writer of the article .... not ME!
Cant any of you read. I started the post with the answer that you all tried to provide. Did I rub a sore spot with some of you. Did none of you see what I'm runnin'????????????????????
Thank you.

nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Or can't you guys recognize sarcasm when you read it. OR did NONE of you actually read the article or even look at the headlines for that day?????????????????????
rgeist554, mousemonkey- thanx for being mean. It's great of you.

Ignorance it bliss until you start opening your mouth with subjects you do not understand. Then making ignorant statements is just foolish in a forum made for people to discuss, share, ask questions, or gain knowledge on this subject.

JAY2TALL, Thanx as well for being somewhat mean, while trying to be somewhat..... well mean actually.
I didn't come in to say that it's all worthless either. If you can't tell I run the stuff I "said was worthless" BTW...
When did I say that anyways??????????????????? It was the writer of the article that said that, not me.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Well, next time if you're going to post a topic concerning an article, post the link to said article next time. When I read the first post, I thought this was a joke or someone completely clueless was asking a question.

nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Sorry I assume that people read the articles on the Tom's site. I guess no-one has read that one yet, CUZ it ends with "why bother".
If you'd have read it you'd have gotten the whole "why bother" quote.
THEN I started with the answer, not a question.

No problem, Like runswindows95 said if you are referring to an article then the least you can do is provide a link to said article, and no I don't bother with the website any more since it was changed (for the worst IMHO) last year.