PDA with built-in GPS + cell phone?

May 20, 2004 9:05:16 AM

Does anyone know if there are any PDAs with a built-in GPS receiver?
It would be useful because it could be integrated with the address
book - you could jump from there to the map with the person's address
marked on the map. Better yet would be if there was one with both GPS
and which can act as a cell phone.

I am already aware of the Handspring springboard modules - you can get
a GPS springboard module and also there's one called a VisorPhone to
turn it into a cell phone. But you can only have one of them plugged
in at a time, right? I imagine that would get annoying because you
might be looking at your GPS maps and someone calls you and you'd miss
the call.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 7:34:13 PM

In article <6f1027e6.0405200405.5425480f@posting.google.com>,
adams_forum@yahoo.ca (Adam) wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are any PDAs with a built-in GPS receiver?
> It would be useful because it could be integrated with the address
> book - you could jump from there to the map with the person's address
> marked on the map. Better yet would be if there was one with both GPS
> and which can act as a cell phone.
>
> I am already aware of the Handspring springboard modules - you can get
> a GPS springboard module and also there's one called a VisorPhone to
> turn it into a cell phone. But you can only have one of them plugged
> in at a time, right? I imagine that would get annoying because you
> might be looking at your GPS maps and someone calls you and you'd miss
> the call.

There's the Garmin iQue, but it isn't a cellphone:
http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/

--
-Take out Ron to reply-
Votre mère était un hamster et votre père a senti des baies de sureau

On 20 May 2004 05:05:16 -0700, adams_forum@yahoo.ca (Adam) wrote:

>Does anyone know if there are any PDAs with a built-in GPS receiver?
<snip>
$2,300 and up for one you can use as GPS. Tres spendy.

The AGPS receiver in modern North American celfons does not have the
intleligence to decode and process the signals, it just passes them on to a
processor at the phone switch which derives the location. Having an app
which sends that back to you would seem to be non-trivial, and NEXTTEL has
already done it.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

On 20 May 2004 05:05:16 -0700, adams_forum@yahoo.ca (Adam) wrote:

>Does anyone know if there are any PDAs with a built-in GPS receiver?
>It would be useful because it could be integrated with the address
>book - you could jump from there to the map with the person's address
>marked on the map. Better yet would be if there was one with both GPS
>and which can act as a cell phone.
>
>I am already aware of the Handspring springboard modules - you can get
>a GPS springboard module and also there's one called a VisorPhone to
>turn it into a cell phone. But you can only have one of them plugged
>in at a time, right? I imagine that would get annoying because you
>might be looking at your GPS maps and someone calls you and you'd miss
>the call.

Pocket PC with built-in GPS, but no phone:
http://www.pdalive.com/showarticle.php?threadid=6189

How about a Pocket PC Phone Edition plus a GPS add-in?

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
May 24, 2004 10:30:58 AM

> >Does anyone know if there are any PDAs with a built-in GPS receiver?
> >It would be useful because it could be integrated with the address
> >book - you could jump from there to the map with the person's address
> >marked on the map. Better yet would be if there was one with both GPS
> >and which can act as a cell phone.
> >
> >I am already aware of the Handspring springboard modules - you can get
> >a GPS springboard module and also there's one called a VisorPhone to
> >turn it into a cell phone. But you can only have one of them plugged
> >in at a time, right? I imagine that would get annoying because you
> >might be looking at your GPS maps and someone calls you and you'd miss
> >the call.
>
> Pocket PC with built-in GPS, but no phone:
> http://www.pdalive.com/showarticle.php?threadid=6189
>
> How about a Pocket PC Phone Edition plus a GPS add-in?

Thanks. I use Linux, and I suspect it's much more difficult to
sychronize it since Windows CE probably doesn't use a standardized
synchronizing method, so that's why I'd prefer the Palm OS.
!