Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE or 5600+

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 28, 2008 11:22:52 AM

Currently I have an AMD 64 x2 5600+ @3.2. I was wondering if I should buy the 5000BE and overclock it at like 3.4 or 3.5. My only problem is that it has less chache than my 5600. mine has 2mb and the 5000 has 1. Should i still get the BE?

More about : amd athlon 5000 5600

February 28, 2008 11:45:35 AM

Not worth it in my opinion.
That is a really nice OC on your 5600+!!
:sol: 
February 28, 2008 8:01:47 PM

carman594 said:
Currently I have an AMD 64 x2 5600+ @3.2. I was wondering if I should buy the 5000BE and overclock it at like 3.4 or 3.5. My only problem is that it has less chache than my 5600. mine has 2mb and the 5000 has 1. Should i still get the BE?

Well, I have already a wish list. So far I have an upgraded case, 2gb more ram, and a better cpu cooler. I have $100 left to spend and this seems to be the best upgrade for $100. I don't want to save the money because I wouldn't make anymore because im only 14 and the next time id get money would be christmas. Should i revise my wish list since I wont be upgrading again til christmas? The current budget would be $300
Related resources
February 28, 2008 8:17:24 PM

IMO, it's a waste to spend that $100 on that processor considering what you already have. I think the (potentially, no guarantee) higher clock you might get from the 5000BE is possibly offset by its lower cache anyway. Save the $100 and get yourself a couple of nice games?
February 28, 2008 8:20:15 PM

mine runs at 3.2ghz too, when ii throw the 9600gt in there i will be all set cause its' a powerful chip, getting a 5000be would be bass ackwards imo
February 28, 2008 8:24:12 PM

I'd have to agree with the others. It would be a waste of money. Your OC should be pretty close to the 6400+ at 3.2ghz? I'd be happy with that.
February 28, 2008 11:58:00 PM

It's not worth the money. One long standing theory when all else being equal. You need to double the processors speed to recieve a 10% increase in throughput. That means if the cache, voltage, FSB, etc. that you would need to double your clock speed to notice the difference. So I would stick with what you have. If you could wait you would be much better off getting a 6400BE fo $150.
February 29, 2008 12:34:19 AM

Ur gonna pay money to down grade ur cpu?? I know its the black edition but...come on! I agree with netpc, save ur money. The phenoms may even be a better buy in a year or so. Until then ur current cpu wont be bottlenecked unless u want to play FSX or video edit. In which case the 5000 will still be a bad choice because its a dual core and has a laughable 1mb of cache. Please don't buy a 5000+ when u already have a 5600+. Save ur money and buy a helmet.
a b à CPUs
February 29, 2008 1:07:25 AM

Quote:
Please enter this one into the "Dumbest post of the year sweepstakes".



Come on, he's 14! Give the dude a break... :non: 

Yes, save your money and cherish the fact you got that CPU to clock at that speed. I seriously dont believe that it would be a good investment to purchase any other CPU for that setup. The next time you spend money on it needs to be for a new architecture (motherboard & CPU) that at least outperforms your current setup 20% - 30% or greater.

Sounds like you have a nice setup as it is. What are you trying to accomplish? Better gaming or just bragging rights? Just Curious...
!