System Specs.
Intel E6850 @ 3.0 With CoolIT liquid Cooling
EVGA 680i SLI with EVGA Nforce 8800-gts 320mb Version
Aerocool 620W modular Power Supply.
2GB Corsair XMS2
Twin 200GB Maxtor SATA Hard-Drives
- Windows XP Home Edition

---- Problem

Last week I noticed when I played music , after about half way into the song , it would start cutting out and would go to "slow-motion" for around 5 seconds. SO then I played a game. Every 3-4 minutes it would slow down and you can hear everything slow down Aswell as mouse lag and other stuff. This never did this before. So I reloaded my system figuring okay just needed to reformat. Nope still does the same thing. I have even tried Using older video card drivers and things. Its very odd. Also my Tempetures are more than fine. CPU 11-20C , GPU 40-60C which is average. Anyways Its really stumped me , so hopefully one of you guys can help me ^^. - Thanks for your time
Llama052

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Also and I just noticed in CPU-Z It shows my Multiplyers set to 6 instead of 9 , which means my CPU is running at 2ghz instead of 3 , but it keeps going from 6 to 9 :eek: , Even with PC wizard it shows the same. What could cause something like this, and how would you fix it?

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I used to have it set to 4ghz with temps at 35C stable. but that was about a month ago. but no everything is stock now... and multiplyers and supposed to be locked?

Loser777

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Do you have some kind of "Cool & Quiet" feature enabled? Sounds like you need to turn off a setting in BIOS.
The multiplier is fluctuating because the BIOS is throttling your Computer to keep temps down. Change the setting in BIOS.

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Everything was default, just checked it , SpeedStep is disabled btw. Its very weird. CPU is at like 17c at the moment.

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Weird, in PC Wizard it shows "SpeedStep" As enabled. when in the bios its disabled for sure... Software bug?
untitled-8.jpg

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Wait just read something that says you cant disable the CPU's speedstep itself that the newer cpus have it built in... Well okay that rules out the CPU then I guess... :S Back to the point.... Need servere help.

Frankly, Speedstep should have nothing to do with your problem. If BIOS says its enabled, its enabled - and that accounts for the step down you have seen.

But not the "slow play". And geez, you're only playing a song and you get it. Then in games too, presumably with sound.

So, bring up Task manager, and watch what it says when your machine slows down. is something else running - what and why?

If nothing shows high cpu utilization there there, the only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is that some kind of error recovery is taking over. HD issue? Or a sound issue. Dont see your mobo spec, or sound card. Sound card issue?

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Okay, First off Speedstep shows disabled in Bios, and in task manager its only The Drivers , AVG and well , drivers. Video , Network drivers. Just came from a fresh reload aswell. Also I have no soundcard its Builtin HD audio. Everything is detected and all the drivers are loaded for everything. and the cpu is only running at 4% most of the time. ITS Very weird

happy_fanboy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Do you have:
your full 24-pin atx connector connected with all 24 pins
your 8-pin CPU power connector plugged in with all 8 pins
your 4-pin molex additional power connector plugged in with a molex
your modular connectors securely plugged into the PSU

if you have any of these partly connected you may be having power brownouts, you need them all for stability.

Also, have you used the N-tune utiltiy during any of your windows instalations? If so make sure it is not on your system, then clear your cmos. That utility will fight with manual bios settings and screw things up.

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I thought that was the problem before... so I switched power supplys from my ANTEC 650W Power supply to a AeroCool 620W Modular Power supply, and yes everything is connected properly... I guess my last hope is CMOS. and Yes that drivers auto-load Ntune, but I havent touched it.

happy_fanboy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
When you say you can hear everything slow down, are you talking about the audio through the speakers or can you actually hear the fans change speeds?

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
The music , its like someone is putting it in slow motion , the same thing with the video, Like when I play a game, randomly it will start to chop up and get laggy for like 15 seconds... then just go back to normal for 4 minutes, it also comes with mouse lag at the desktop every 1-3 minutes I get lag. So very odd.

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
took apart, TESTED Power Supply with Power Supply tester, everything is fine with the PSU.everything is connected properly.

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
This explains my problem almost 100%
Problems started about a week ago. Getting sound anomalies very short glitches pops,repeats,digitizing sounds and now when it glitches the computer also is starting to get lags for the duration of the glitch. Anyone had this problem? Is my motherboard going. I havent changed anything on the system and im at a loss.

dcinmich

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hi Llama. I did a Google search on your problem and below are some suggestions I found.....

=====================
Can you hear the HDD or the CD drive spinning up when this happens? You may try to play with your system virtual memory (Control Panel > System, advanced tab, Virtual memory and pagefile). Maybe setting a larger amount of disk cache may minimize the problem... you can also change some system priorities from there.

If the system is loading files from a CD, increasing your pagefile will reduce the time that the game needs to reload some files. The more of the CD files are stored on the HD (which is faster than the optical drive), the less the CD will be read.
=====================
Also download, install and run the following programs (all are free):

1) CCLeaner - will cleaner your hd and system registry of junk you don't need.

2) AUSLogics registry defrag - more indepth registry cleaner

3) AUSLogics disk defragger - works better than the defrag program included with XP.

After running the above programs, open a command prompt and run the following: chkdsk c: /r and press the return key. Press the y key (to run chkdsk at next boot up). Then reboot your pc. The above should help you get some performance back.
=====================
Try disconnecting it from the internet. If it speeds up shortly after the disconnect, you've got a nasty like a keylogger or trojan on your system.
=====================
Run Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

You can see what is loading and running in the explorer.exe

Lots of programs run in the explorer.exe mode and just seeing explorer.exe in the task manager is not good enough to figure out the actual process that is running. You could have a legitimate program running or you could have some spyware/adware running. Process Explorer will tell you what is running within the explorer.exe and even give an option to shut down temporally the program with in explorer.exe

Its worth a shot.
=====================

Just some suggestions for you. :)