Sign in with
Your question

monitor says "no signal" after new system built

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2008 10:41:59 PM

I've built a system with Q6600, GForce 8800 GT, 2 GB Ram, and 2 sata HDDs,
Antec trio 650 W Power source and antec 900 case.
The lights and fan go on, but the monitor says "no signal". what could be the cause??
I have inserted the VGA into a proper slot, but still the monitor gives this error. what could be the cause??
this is tht first time I've installled SATA disks - might it be that there is a problem there??
February 7, 2008 11:07:41 PM

omermaras check dvi cables @ both ends for bent pins,also how is video hooked up to video card from power supply?
February 7, 2008 11:22:34 PM

Did you connect the 4pin CPU power connection as well as the 24pin atx power connection? Also, is your 8800GT's 6pin PCI-express power connector plugged in? Your hard drives should not interfere with the initial boot up process, but make sure both the sata cable and sata power cables are secured in properly.

If that does not fix it, take the board out of the case and set it on the anti-static wrap it came in. Then try to power up with just the CPU, 1 stick of memory, and your 8800GT installed. If it works and powers up then, you know that you have a short somewhere happening in the case. Make sure your risers are properly installed in the case.

Post back and tell us what happened.
Related resources
February 8, 2008 4:55:19 AM

I connected the 4 pin and the 24 pin atx power connections, but I don't know (or read anything about) a power connection of the VGA.
8800gt's 6pin power connector?? I think that must be it then
there came many cables with the Antec trio 650 power source, and many are not connected. I have connected both hard disks the thin sata cables to the sata sockets of the mobo, and the broad sata cables to a "fork" cable with 2 ends sata to the HDDS and one end a power plug, to the power cables from the PSU unit. AND I have plugged the cable from both the front fans to the other end of the same power cable. shouldn't I do that?? it seems to be possible to plug them to one another, and I didn't want to have many individual power cables criscrossing inside the case..??
February 8, 2008 5:07:54 AM

Here is where the 6 pin connector goes:

February 8, 2008 5:17:48 AM

I see. I'll try this evening when I'm back home..
February 8, 2008 1:50:07 PM

omermaras you will have to use power connector from video card,useing two seperate 12 volt 19 amp rails.

February 8, 2008 1:57:33 PM

major53, I am using gf8800gt VGA card, and a samsung syncmaster 22" digital LCD monitor, and have connected the digital cable from the PC-VGA to the monitor... I do not understand what you mean.. do I have to find the cables in your picture, and plug them where??
February 8, 2008 2:21:53 PM

You say your case wires arent hooked up? You need to hook up your tower cables for your power button a reset buttons. You definately got to hook up the 6 pin power plug to the video card as well. If your PSU has a 6 pin plug you dont need to use the adapter in the above picture.

It couldn't be any simpler if you take the time and read your manuals.
February 8, 2008 2:30:52 PM

omermaras the power cable for your video card was with the parts that came with your video card,sense you have 3 12 volt 19 amp rails on your power supply.the power connector that came with your card is a Y cable 2 12 volt molex connectors and 1- 6 pin video connector on it.plug 2 seperate 12 volt molex cable from power supply to the power connector that came with video card.
February 8, 2008 2:41:29 PM

omermaras said:
I've built a system with Q6600, GForce 8800 GT, 2 GB Ram, and 2 sata HDDs,
Antec trio 650 W Power source and antec 900 case.
The lights and fan go on, but the monitor says "no signal". what could be the cause??
I have inserted the VGA into a proper slot, but still the monitor gives this error. what could be the cause??
this is tht first time I've installled SATA disks - might it be that there is a problem there??

I've had this same proble with my Asus P5W DH Deluxe mobo... it ended up being related to the RAM... if i popped out the memory and tried both sticks of ram one at a time in the first dimm slot, i got it to turn on and work normally...
!