Step by step instruccions on OCing a P35 DS3P & E2160

luscus

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
After I read the article “An $89 Pentium Dual Core that Runs at 3.2 GHz” I bought the MOBO featured and the E2160.
The article was not that clear to me, I have never OC a CPU, so a lot of the talk was mumbo jumbo to me. The instructions (read wording) that the article uses and the commands that the bios has are 2 different things!

I spent a couple of hours trying different things and reading the post on this forum, but each and every time the machine would not boot up and then reboot with all original specs. (and I'm glad this MOBO does that, it saved me from having to reset the jumpers every time)

An that is why I am asking anyone that has this MOBO if they can give me line by line instructions for me to OC this CPU

I am happy with OCing to 3 GHz and that way (supposedly) I don't have to change the voltage (KISS principle).

Thanks in advance

Manuel

partyman973

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Here is another good one. I followed this almost to a tee and got 3ghz on stock air and never get over 54 degree c
e2160
Gigabyte P35 DS3L

Orion1024

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I thought I read that going beyond 2.66GHz or so requires a core voltage increase of roughly .05V per 100MHz. I've got the DS3L and E2160 running at 2.66GHz at stock voltage by using a multiplier of x8 and bus of 333MHz (it's good enough for me). Some things to keep in mind...

- you can manually specify the maximum CPU multiplier to be used
- unless you set the voltages manually the DS3L will automatically increase them
- set the memory multiplier to match the speed of your RAM

I also recommend turning off the automatic CPU fan throttling. I had one boot where the fan started briefly at power on, stopped and didn't even start again and Windows was completely loaded up! Not sure if the CPU was really that cold or if it was a BIOS glitch. Anyway, try the 333 x 8 setup @ 1.35V core and see if that works (and go from there). That seems to be the minimum gauranteed overclock. Got two systems with the same config and both were a breeze to OC. Also worth mentioning for those close to a Microcenter...they have the E2160 for $59.99

alpine18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008

I am having the SAME problem with my EX38-DS4. I have encountered 3 other people that are experiencing the EXACT same problem with their Gigabyte motherboards (so far I have heard this happening on EX38-DS4 & P35-S3G motherboards).

Follow the O/C guide EXACTLY, but as soon as you change the CPU clock control to MANUAL, and change the FSB speed at all (even by 1MHZ), the system will reboot and fail POST at the memory check step. It then reboots with the settings set back to AUTO. I've been wrestling with this issue for the past month and found no solution.
I've tried different ddr and cpu voltages, leaving everything to AUTO, trying different memory multipliers, underclocking, updating the BIOS, clearing the CMOS... nothing helps.

I'm not new to overclocking and I have my E6400 running very nicely at 2.8GHz in my GA-965P-DS3.

I've RMA'd the motherboard, changed out the memory to 3 different brands, tried different video cards, video cards in different slots, different CPUs, upgraded to a 700W PSU, I have even tried different HSF and hard drives.

I'm going around with Gigabyte support on this issue now. I really think this is a motherboard issue, as that is the only common item I have had in my computer other than the ATX case. Open a case with Gigabyte support. Maybe if enough people report the issue they will look into it.

I've had 4 different Gigabyte motherboards over the past 3 years, but with this issue I'm about ready to switch to ASUS.

^ What RAM are you using? If its above DDR2 800, that's probably the problem. I have been doing some research in to this problem for a while now. It looks like the P35-DS3x/DS4x boards seems to have some unknown issues with RAM that is natively higher than DDR2 800 (problems reported by quite a bit people actually)., but now when DDR2 800 is OCed to the same level( ie DDR2 800 OCed to DDR2 1021).

aldi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I used E2160 too,with a worth mobo's abit IP35Pro, and now it runs at 3,4 GHz and stacks at 33' C (idle), max 48'C (full load). i change the voltage into 1,48v, and same as above, it isn't too much producing heat.

The max freq i ever reach is 400MHz, when processor run at 3,6 GHz. First time i tried reach 3,6 GHz, i change the volt into 1,5volt (detected 1,47volt in abit uGuru), and it ran without any problem. Oh, there was one problem--I can't validate it! Because by the time i reached 3,6 GHz, i didn't have an internet connection, and didn't know about .cvf (cpu-z validator file).

There is the picture...
e216036ghzyc2.jpg
[/URL]
[/img]

Now, i can't reach 3,6 GHz anymore, and when reach fsb 355 MHz it can't boot into windows. fsb 360, it can't boot into bios, so i must clear cmos first. Why? Anyone knows?

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=331657

alpine18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008

I'm using DDR2-800. I have tried various brands of 1GB modules: Corsair XMS2, OCZ Platinum Rev2, Crucial Ballistix, and A-Data. Maybe I should try some DDR2-667?

alpine18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
I am sure this is a motherboard problem also. I've read of some people upgrading their bios and this issue has gone away. I've tried flashing my bios twice (to the latest F3). I was using the Windows @bios util, maybe I should use the old DOS boot floppy method.

I don't think ram is the problem. I can boot with my ram settings fine as long as CPU clock control is set to AUTO.
I've ran my crucial ballistix from spec (4-4-4-12) up to 5-5-5-18, to auto settings. I set the voltages both auto and manually (spec 2.1v for my OCZ Plat, and spec 2.2v for the ballistix, 1.8v for the A-data). I have tried single sticks of all the ram. I can boot as long as I leave clock control to AUTO.

When I set clock control to MANUAL is when the problems start. Most of the time I use a 2.0 multiplier when I'm trying to overclock, so I'm running the ram slower than the spec 800. Even if I leave my FSB at 333 and clock control to MANUAL, the system won't boot. This is my 2nd EX38-DS4 motherboard, I RMA'd the first one when I encountered this issue - they gave me a completely new motherboard, I compared the serials to make sure.

CPU is E8400 - I also tried an E1200 and an E6400. I've left CPU voltages at the standard.

In summary, the problem for me is that the system won't boot when CPU clock-control is set to MANUAL, even when the FSB speed is set to the default for my CPU.

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

never never never never never never flash in windows!!! use DOS!!! :fou:

its not worth the risk..

make sure that another setting in BIOS isn't prohibiting you from POSTing..i know i've done that more than once "back in the day.." lol.

good luck.

alpine18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
If it is unreliable then the mfg shouldn't offer it as an officially supported option.

I'm sure this is a mobo problem. I've read multiple issues of others recently encountering a similar probelm with Gigabyte motherboards, even on the P35 chipset.
The system runs fine as long as the CPU clock control is set to AUTO. I can even o/c my ram to 1066MHz as long as I leave CPU to AUTO.
I'm thinking Gigabyte is not a good choice if you want to O/C. Unless they fix this with a bios, my next motherboard most definitely won't be a Gigabyte - and Gigabyte has been my fav brand for the past 2-3 years and last 3 motherboards. But my recent experiences over the past 3 month (with 2 EX38-DS4, and a P35-S3G), have left me completely unable to O/C multiple CPUs and after trying multiple brands of mem.
My old 965P-DS3 is still running great O/C at 2.8GHz with a E6400, so I think this is a recent problem with GB motherboards.