Sign in with
Your question

Do I really need two HDDs?

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2008 1:49:47 AM

Alright so the word on the interwebs is I have to have myself two HDDs. One for the OS and one for whatever else, or at the very least... 2 for Raid 0.

My problem is... I have never filled up an 80GB HDD let alone a 250... do I really need two? I erase things like an etch-a-sketch on a paint mixer. I never keep old programs or files I will never use again.

I guess my question is what are the advantages to having two HDDs, are they significant enough for me spend the extra $$ when I know I will not be using the space?

More about : hdds

February 8, 2008 2:26:49 AM

If you don't want to go through the trouble of a RAID setup, don't get one, I don't have one and I'm fine.

Although going for two reasonably sized HDDs in RAID 0 does boost performance a significant amount for the cost.
Related resources
February 8, 2008 3:31:17 AM

Boden said:
Alright so the word on the interwebs is I have to have myself two HDDs. One for the OS and one for whatever else, or at the very least... 2 for Raid 0.

My problem is... I have never filled up an 80GB HDD let alone a 250... do I really need two? I erase things like an etch-a-sketch on a paint mixer. I never keep old programs or files I will never use again.

I guess my question is what are the advantages to having two HDDs, are they significant enough for me spend the extra $$ when I know I will not be using the space?

It's a convenience factor. OS / running programs on one, data / program images on the other. Then re-installs of the OS won't be so painful. But if you have a good back-up strategy, its not really necessary.
February 8, 2008 3:35:01 AM

I bought two HDs (Seagate 350GB 7200rpm SATAs). I use one for the system HD and the second to store all my graphic design work on. I also have the second one set up as a scratch disc for Photoshop and I moved My Documents to that HD as well.

I find it very convenient an even if I don't use all the HD space it's better to have it just in case.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2008 4:09:06 AM

Boden said:

You only NEED one HD. Period.

Unless you are trying to address a specific issue :) 

You don't need more capacity. And it doesn't sound like you need the small increments of 'speed" a second disk might provide. So the only thing you might "want" is backup, and two HDs give you a couple of options on how to achieve it. For you, I'd guess the best approach would be to periodically copy your entire main HD - or just your data files - to your second HD. Of course, there are more complicated, more elegant solutions available. And you could use an external HD for backup. Or DVDs. But a second HD is workable.

So . . . do you need backup? If not, use the money elsewhere.
!