Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Looking for a motherboard for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition or possibly the regular version of this processor with a stock heatsink. Not really a smoking fast processor but quik enough for what I need it for. I dont need SLI/Crossfire support, only using a single card. I plan on using either a ATI or Nvidia videocard in it. Phenom and next gen AMD (AM2+) chip support is a must. I am looking at either a 790X or a 790FX board. Or is there a better solution?

I am looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128075 - Gigabyte 790X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128074 - Gigabyte 790FX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131224 - ASUS 790FX

Asus is pricey and I dont need the extra wireless crap.
Gigabyte seems to be a good value, but what exactly is the difference between the 790X vs 790FX?
There are a couple others, A DFI, which is more than I want to spend @ $250. There are also a coupla MSI's, which Ive had a couple of MSI boards go boom over the years, so Im a little gun shy.

Any thoughts?

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
I have the DS5 and love it, using the X2 6400BE on it. Just remember the 790X and 790FX chipsets only support Crossfire if you later choose to do so.

I love the DS5 for the three seperate SATA controllers that it has.

HardOCP blew up the MSI 790FX in testing and I saw a bunch of people having problems with the DFI versions as well. This is my first Gigabyte board and I haven't had any problems with it.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Thought hard about a 780G, but I need something that will give me more ability to upgrade. I do plan on building a HTPC this summer, and I will be using it for that setup. Need something simple, quiet, and dependable for that. Im kind of on a wait on see with those too. I would like to see more support for this chipset before I make a decision on that, namely, I hate mini ATX boards.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Im definitely leaning toward crossfire and the coupla bucks Ill save by not having it isnt worth taking away that upgrade path in the future IMO.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006

I like the idea of the 780G. However see my above statement in regards. Current 780G setups do NOT support dual video cards other than the on-board Crossfired with a slow card to give a decent 2 card solution with one on board. I dont care about HDMI on a gaming machine. This solution doesnt offer the ability to run 2 3870x2's in Crossfire. This is what Im getting at when I say future proof.

Ill be ordering parts for a HTPC in a month or so, and you can bet that Ill be using a 780G in that though. It will be a straight HTPC, not used for gaming at all. I would like to see a few more choices out there though. I think Newegg has 3 780G boards atm. This isnt enough IMO. Id also prefer to use a full ATX board instead of a mini, regardless of the build and what its for.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Thought about it. But my goal was to have a working machine for under 800 shipped. This setup should give me alot of wiggle room down the road. I really want to see where AMD/ATI goes in the next 6-9 months. The new Phenoms are not too bad, and I really want to see what they can do with their next gen video cards.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Wiggle room is why I picked the DS5 as well. I had Crossfire in my old system and it worked great and I'm just waiting on the new 4000 series of cards to come out before I return to it. Plus with the board if they ever get the phenom cpu up to 3Ghz I'll try one. I'm really into FSX and it needs as fast a cpu as you can get. But I see no hurry in moving to a quad core cpu since the majority of software I use doesn't take advantage of the two cores I currenty have.