mrmez

Splendid
109 transactions and 100% positive rating.
Seems to be legit.
Sometimes u just get a legit bargain.
I recently (ie yesterday) got a Cressi mc7 1st stage, and Ti reg a complete set, brand new, tested, stamped etc (its scuba equipment) for $350USD. :D
This stuff would retail for ~$1,000.
No wonder he only sold a few.

Pay with paypal if u can. They way u SHOULD be protected if the deal turns sour.

Sofakingbroke

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
ahhh yes, but with all that stuff about the sites that sell hacked ebay accounts. Just seems weird if you check out what he is selling in the last day or so. The fact that the ebayer lives in PA and the o/cer lives in texas. I emailed the O/C guy that has this rig, so hopefully he will get back to me and say it's legit. Would paypal actually give my 2k back or would they "try" to recover it from his account and when he doesn't have it, stiff me? Maybe he'll do cod, if I cover the fees =\

Would be nice if it is real, cuz i want it! Gut says it's not though.

:eek:p

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I just scanned it, but it looks like the parts cost a lot lot lot more than that. If a deal is too good to be true it usually is. It has the feel of the Nigerian that needs your bank info so he can send you money. I could be wrong.

I looked closer and I call SCAM

CNeufeld

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
They might have 109 feedback items with 100% positive, but look at the items sold. A bunch of German WW2 memorabilia, and a couple tech items. Nothing like the computer itself.

You could always message them, and see why they can sell so cheap. I'd probably avoid it, though, unless I had 2K to throw away (which I don't).

Clint

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That's like emailing the Nigerian to get the details of his uncle's death.

neocortex

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
first of all there is no Dominator 8500 2x2gig...only 4x1gig...i own one.
2nd of all the stock speed of 8500 is 1066mhz...so what he OC'ed it 33mhz? lol
but still i dont think its a scam..GTX dropped in price lately...and he is using nvidia mobo which is kinda cheaper than x38. ofcourse im assuming he bought the products NEW...but he might have bought the items off ebay half price.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
The feed back looks a but iffy to me. Look at all the usernames something just doesn't look right (they seem similar even though there not), all of his items he has previously sold are in the $40-$60 range now all of the sudden he is selling PC%u2019s that are too good to be true worth $2000.

deadwolf

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Email the seller, and ask a stupid question, one that some one that really built the rig would only know, or ask for a picture of something specific on the rig that the photo's don't show

mlaporta

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Well the feedback is from a variety of users and a lot of them have high amounts of feedback\transactions ruling out he created sub accounts.

If your unsure maybe 2 things contact ebay see what they say and also look into and contact seller about a C.O.D. (cash on deliver) transaction with money order, so when it is delivered you then give the postal carrier the money order (after inspection of goods so you don't get a "hollow" case or something like that) and also email\discuss your concerns with the seller see how they act you may get a better gauge of their personality and willingness to establish trust.

I know it may seem like I'm being naive and I am not just saying "buy it" and it's like asking a bank-robber "are you going to rob me" but if you have your heart set on it look at it from many angles, there must be a way to ensure your $$$ ir protected on the purchase.

Also look at the dollar amount $2,000 and really see if you yourself could in fact build a comparable system within that amount.

Sofakingbroke

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Email from the guy that I posted on the overclocker forums (2nd link posted):

"WTF!

yes thats a pic of my rig.... gotten from one of the forums!

thanks!

I'll email ebay!"

lol guess it is a con.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Scam:

Max OC on this CPU for bench only was 4.1 at 1.45v
GPU's 655/1055 (16,280 3dmark 06)

24/7 OC, 3.8 @ 1.38v (avg 15,100 3dmark06)

SLI'd GTXs with that CPU would be well over that. Not to mention the other evidence everyone else unearthed.

sailer

Splendid
Something smells here and its not roses. I took a look at the other items that are listed and found the same listing for another computer that he has, only its $1299:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-CORE-2-EXTREME-YORKFIELD-3-8GHZ-OC-2-8800GTX-SLI_W0QQitemZ300197326522QQihZ020QQcatagoryZ140075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The difference seems to be in that this second listing is for his personal computer, not a copy of his personal computer. He also build this computer a year ago, 1-22-07. Not sure all those parts were available a year ago, but even if they were, how could he have predicted what would or would not run Crysis a year ago? This does not look right.

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
OK, Ebay can't stop nigerians from hacking accts with weak passwords and posting bogus items.

BUT, after 10 ATTEMPTS at talking to ebay using their "LIVE CHAT" feature, nothing was accomplished.

each live chat "operator" gave me a different link to "report" it - these links wound up on a page that accepted only the fraudulent ebay item listing number - there was NO place on the page to explain WHY the auction was fake and no place to link them to this thread so they could see for themself why this auction is a fraud. Without this information I don't see how they can determine the auction is fake.

Paypal claims to protect buyers up to $2000, so the hacker setting his price at $1999 at least maybe means that the victim won't be out the money, paypal will. Well, maybe.. there are likely a dozen requirements that need to be met for paypal to do this, and I would not be surprised if one of these requirements were not met.

My personal experience with ebay has not been great. half the stuff i get is not as offered, and hardly anyone ever uses negative feedback out of fear of retaliatory negative feedback. whoever posted above about the 109 positive feedback making this auction safe was wrong not only because in this case the acct was hacked but also because even if an auction's seller has great feedback, people have found ways to rapidly get lots of positive feedback by selling nonsense back and forth to other people and because even when people get ripped off they don't use negative feedback for the reasons explained above.

F*** YOU, eBAY, for making it so difficult for users (such as us) to help you police your own site. :)

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Scam, fo' sure

Surprised he is willing to go to all this trouble to make $2K. He'll only get 1 shot at one of these auctions before his PayPal account is canceled.

Usually these guys are cash/money order only, a sure sign of a scam.

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
HamRadio:
Never ran into a hacked eBay item, but I think you are right. I agree that Ebay's feedback rating isn't great. Supposedly it is changing soon, so the seller can't do retaliatory negative feedback. That is one of my biggest peeves, you can'y really give an honest opinion for fear of reprisal.