Sign in with
Your question

How do I clone my UltraATA133 drive to SATA 3.0 drive w/o winxp reinst

Last response: in Storage
February 27, 2009 9:13:06 PM

I would like to upgrade my current Hitachi Deskstar Ultra ATA133 250 GB hard drive to a WD Caviar Black Sata 3.0 Hard drive.

Is it possible to hook it up to my motherboard(asrock dual-vsta) do I perfect clone, unhook the IDE hard drive, reconfigure the HDD in the boot menu and load windows xp?I was also told that I need the SATA drivers before loading windows. Where are the SATA drivers(can't find them on Asrock website) and how do I install them before I load windows?

My only concern is attempting to reload windows without dealing with licensing issues. I bought XPSP3 two years ago and still have the disk, etc, but don't know if it will let me re-install without a hassle. I also would like to make the change as quick and painless as possible of course. Example, I don't know how to transfer Panda anti-virus subscription from old to new individually, etc....

Id really appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Josh

February 27, 2009 11:56:37 PM

This is the response I got from Asrock, but I am not using RAID and I don't have a floppy drive, so what do I do?:

The SATA driver is list from the following link http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=775Dual-vst...

It said SATA Raid Driver 7/26/2006, If you are using the same hardware components I don’t think you need to buy another copy unless you change some hardware that is different after you register to Microsoft.

Asrock Tech Support

SATA RAID Driver is for users who plan to install Windows OS on SATA / SATAII HDDs with RAID functions. To use RAID functions, you need to make a SATA RAID Driver floppy diskette before you install the operation system, such as Windows XP. If you do not plan to use RAID functions, it is not necessary to make a SATA RAID Driver floppy diskette. Please follow below steps for the usage of SATA RAID Driver:

Copy the SATA RAID Driver from our website to your SATA HDDs. Unzip it, and copy all the files and folders to an empty diskette.
Make sure that the “SATA Operation Mode” option in BIOS setup is set to RAID mode.
Install Windows OS to your system. At the beginning of Windows setup, please press F6 and insert the SATA RAID Driver floppy diskette you just made. Then you are allowed to select the required driver to install after your system reading the SATA RAID Driver floppy diskette.
After Windows OS installation, use the RAID tool in our support CD to configure RAID arrays under BIOS or Windows environment.
For the details of RAID operation procedures, please refer to our user manual in the support CD or quick installation guide for further information.

Related resources
February 27, 2009 11:59:15 PM

So all I need to do is figure out how to get the motherboard to recognize the SATA drive as the primary drive without drivers and I can re-install windows, and then move all of the stuff over from the old drive.

Can anyone please help me?
a c 361 G Storage
March 5, 2009 2:35:34 PM

On most modern mobo's the SATA drivers are already part of the BIOS. In many cases, what they can do (you may have to actually choose this option in BIOS Setup) is make the SATA drives appear to the rest of the world to be simple older EIDE (aka ATA) drives. That way any Windows can handle them, because Windows always knows how to deal with EIDE drives. With a mobo like that, you need to load special SATA drivers ONLY if you want to use them in a RAID array. That is why the Asrock site says not to worry if you are not using RAID.

I have never done this, so maybe someone else can point out few more details here. But what I've read say the basic process is this sequence:
1. Install the new SATA drive, check in BIOS Setup that its port is enabled and the drive is detected.
2. Boot into Windows and just check. Click Start, then RIGHT-click My Computer, choose Manage, and in the new left window choose Storage ... Disk Management. In the bottom right scrolling window check to see that the new disk exists. It will be marked as Unallocated or some such, and it will NOT show up in the top right panel because it has not been Partitioned and Formatted yet. But if Windows can recognize here that it exists, you're OK to proceed.
3. Use a utility like Acronis, as knotknut suggested above, or a free utility from WD, to completely clone your old drive to your new one, with one important note. The first step of the process is Partitioning the new drive - that is, deciding whether you will use it as all one huge drive, or partition it into two or more logical volumes. If you want it to use ALL of the new drive in one volume that is BOOTABLE, tell it so. The software will create the partition, format it, and clone everything from old drive to new.
4. Shut down. To keep it simple, unplug the old drive, and swap the data cable from the new drive to plug into the mobo connector that the old drive had used. Now when you boot the mobo will look at that same port (now occupied by the new drive) to boot from.
5. When you boot, it may not work! The trouble is that the copy cloned from the old drive included many drivers, including the one for the old drive, and you are trying to use a different one. If Windows throws up any trouble, you need to do what is called a Repair Install using your original Windows Install Disk. This will analyze what is wrong and replace any incorrect drivers with proper ones. You'll probably have to reboot and then all should be well.
6. If Windows throws up any objections about licensing or authorization, you need to phone Microsoft Tech Support and simply explain to them the disk change you made. They can help you ensure your licensed rights are maintained cleanly.
7. After getting all these things sorted out, you can reconnect your old Hitachi drive on a new SATA port. If you are sure everything you had on it is now safely migrated to the new WD drive, I suggest you use Disk Manager to Partition it into one blank volume that is NOT a Boot Drive, then format it. You'll have a 200 GB second data drive to use.
8. Here's why you disconnected the Hitachi back in step 4. If anything really does not work after the disconnect, you can always simply disconnect the new drive and hook up the old one as it started out, and be right back at the beginning. A safe place to re-start from!
March 5, 2009 11:03:48 PM

Thank you very much for the information! I really appreciate it. Makes sense..I will give it a try and let you know. Hopefully all will work fine.

Thanks again paperdoc!

Josh
!