Sign in with
Your question

What do you think? Price/ Performance ?

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2008 6:09:52 AM

So here it is, this is the one i'm thinking of for myself:
I do some gaming, mostly WoW, run some office software and manage my music, photos and videos

I'm trying to stay under 1k - as I will also be getting a 24" - 32" Monitor

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
with Rosewill RCX-Z4 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler combo $210

MoBo- GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard $89

RAM - Patriot Viper 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $109 aftr rebates

Video - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
$199 aftr rebates

Case & PSU - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power
(I was just gonna stick with this PSU for now, until i want to OC) $53 aftr rebate

OS HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive $149
(do i need 74GB just for VISTA ULTIMATE, plus a partiton for "swap" files) ??
Should I keep games on this HDD also??

Storage HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $120
( planned for partitions #1 - games & programs, #2 Media, #3 Business/work-docs, software everything)

DVD - Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA

TOTAL $959.91 -

Where can I save money - should I ixnay the WD drive??? waste of money??
I already have a copy of VISTA ULTIMATE -so thats what I will be using.

What would you change? and WHy?

More about : price performance

February 8, 2008 6:36:54 AM

GRAPHICS:
The 8800GTS 320Mb is the old GTS board which you do not want.
What you want is the 8800GTS 512Mb G92 card (or the 8800GT).
The G92 is more expensive than the 8800GT but has a better (card is double wide) cooler that exhausts the hot air out the back slot and not into the case, and slightly better performance than the 8800GT.
The 8800GT's fan has been reported by some to have problems especially in the whining noise area, but it is cheaper than the G92.

CPU:
If it were me I think I would go with the new 45nm E8400 CPU. Less heat, more efficient, newer. Also, the speed of your gaming (WOW) is affected a lot by the graphics card you pick and very very little by the CPU you choose. (The E8400 is a very good CPU though anyway.)

Cooler:
Rosewill? Really? It is a POS. Everything Rosewill is a POS. If price is no object, get a thermalright ultra-120 extreme - if price is a factor, get a Zalman. dont forget the artic silver TIM.

PSU:
PSUs that come with cases are almost always unreliable, with wavy or spiky power delivery on the rails. There are several lists of decent PSUs grouped into tiers, and the links are somewhere if you search for them. Two good choices are the corsair 550 which is 80ish at buy.com, and the pc power and cooling silencer 610, which you may find is now called the OCZ silencer 610 since OCZ bought pc p&c. the silencer is tier 1, and the corsair is either tier 1 or tier 2 i cant remember off the top of my head.

RAM:

the patriot memory is not on the GA-P35-DS3L's list of approved RAMs. if you go to the mobos web site there is a list of RAMs, it is a pdf file.

many would argue that most RAM will work with most motherboards. this is probably very true.

I once suggested Patriot RAM to someone else as it was a pretty good price, and one of the forum gurus suggested one avoid Patriot RAM as it seems to have problems more often than other RAMs.

there are two listings for 2gb sticks of RAM, a kingston and a samsung (i didn't even know they made RAM), but both of those sticks are 667 MHz not 800 MHz. There are lots of listings for 1gb sticks of 800 MHz RAM but none for 2gb sticks.

if you do wind up with the patriot RAM and if it works (or if anyone else has 2GB sticks of anthing in their GA-P35-DS3L board) please post a followup reply - having 8gb of ram would be sweet.

Questions for you:
Are you going to Overclock? That would affect recommendations. For example, the Antec Nine Hundred Case is a favorite for overclocking as it has great cooling with several fans including a monster 20cm fan on the top.

I am only a journeyman and am still pretty wet behind the ears.. you may wish to see what the veteran system building gurus have to say before you go with my suggestions.. good luck!
February 8, 2008 6:57:00 AM

You should get the 8800gt instead.

I have a raptor. I think it's pretty good. I don't know if it is really worth the extra performance, but I have been using it for maybe two years now, and I think it was a good investment. I recently also got a slower, bigger hard drive, as I wanted to start storing movies and more pictures and stuff.

On the raptor, I have a 25gb partition for the OS(Vista) and program files, a 5gb partition for the page file, and then about a 40 gb partition for the games. And then I just put everything else on the other drive. I think it works out pretty good.

So... Really you need to decide for yourself wether the Raptor is worth the money or not. I guess I'd say I'd reccomend it. It does make things seem snappy, and gives a more enjoyable day to day experience. But still, if you want to keep the cost down, you probably aren't missing too much.
Related resources
February 8, 2008 9:03:03 AM

8800GT, for sure. Or, I would lean towards one of the ATI 3850's, or maybe even the 3870. Do not get the 8800gts 320 meg card.

Go with an e8400 CPU.

Nothing wrong with Patriot Memory. It usually has pretty tight timings. It's not good for overclocking though, it's already running at near it's max right out of the package.

You don't need a Raptor, too much money-no benefit to anything you are doing.
February 8, 2008 9:23:07 AM

apparently the 500gb Samsung Spinpoint has seek times pretty close to the Raptor, actually.
February 8, 2008 9:53:09 AM

Dump the Raidmax PSU it is a tier 5 not recommended. It's junk.
February 8, 2008 7:23:24 PM

OOO Kay - so I'm a bit off - I need to make some changes -
First I think i am going to change MoBo to something newerl

I changed Graphics to
EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do plan to OC but not right away, well b/c at this point i don't know how?? But thats for another day, just the build for now.

IF I go with the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Processor For $245 , would it be worth speding the extra $30 and getting Q6600 ??

I will drop the roswell for sure - so if i stuck with the e6750 its only $190 - how much performnace does the extra $60 offer.

You say that the patriot memeory is already fairly maxed out - do you have suggestions - I definitely am planning to go 8G - so 2x2gb for now is essential.

Thanks agian

February 8, 2008 10:16:09 PM

the Q6600, a 65nm (older, larger, hotter) chip, is currently better for things like video encoding, where the software is written to use all 4 cores. for games, most use only 1 or 2 cores at present. so if you are using it for games, go with the E8400, a 45nm (newest, smallest, coolest) chip. also, if you really want to get your moneys worth from the Q6600, you really should overclock it.

if you are going to overclock eventually, which is only changing numbers in bios (see the FAQ), make sure you pick overclock friendly things and install them when you build. you dont want to have to pull out your motherboard to attach a CPU cooler later (some require access to the underside of the motherboard to mount a bracket there) and you don't want to have crappy RAM that won't OC well. for OCing, you can't go wrong with Crucial Ballistix. Or check the RAM list and pick something that uses micron chips.
February 8, 2008 10:35:25 PM

Your rig is far too powerful if play WOW and run office software. Go with a cheap AMD brisbane if you don't plan on OCing or an E2160 if you are. Also the raptor is a waste. Any regular SATA hard drive will be more than fast enough. Get a 3850 for your graphics card. It runs about $150 on the lowest and can play WOW just fine. You can add additional cards if you end up needing more power. Honestly my friend plays WOW on a 4200 TI. I know someone that plays it on a Macbook pro. No idea how powerful it is, but it's a laptop.
February 9, 2008 12:22:43 AM

Thats really all that I play now, b/c i'm running an GeForce4 MX440
with an old P4 2.66ghz

ALso, has anyone seen wow with the graphics maxed out _
How does it look???

February 9, 2008 12:33:22 AM

I see you have ignored the warning about that POS Raidmax PSU. I hope it doesn't fry your system.

Good Luck.
February 9, 2008 1:30:37 AM

I would have to agree with Zorg.

Lose your current choice of case and PSU. from your note it sounds like someone told you that a piece of sh*t PSU only mattered if you planned on OCing, and I assure you that is not the case. An unreliable PSU will fry non-OCed systems just as fast as OCed ones.

Do yourself a favor and get an Antec Nine Hundred Case (looks cool but I am recommending it because for the price it is hands down the best case at keeping things cool with all those fans including a 20cm monster fan on the top), and a PC Power and Cooling 610W Silencer (tier 1), or a Corsair 520 or 550 W (tier 1 or 2, the 520 is a modular power supply, but if you go for the 550 or the PCP&C610 you can hide the extra cables behind the motherboard/unused drive bays in the Antec case).
February 9, 2008 4:12:48 AM

Yeah, I pretty much dropped the case as soon as I heard some bad reviews on it. However, I do have to point out where I got the idea from
"We've spent a little time with the Smilodon since our last budget marathon, and we like it even more now."

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/17/sbm_low_cost_sys...

However, they did change out the power supply. Trust me I know about having good clean power. with home audio system, esecially high qualty 2 channel. the qualtiy of amplifier can make dramatically change the dynamics, clarity and quality of sound.

I will invest any one of the suggestions - I'm still torn on the case. just b/c of the pricee fo teh 900, but it definitely seems like the way to go.

As for the memory Crucial Balistix then??

and how about the motherboards - ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte?? I have an ASUS now that has done me well, but I haven't never pushed it either.

February 9, 2008 5:31:41 AM

The Corsair VX 550 is a great PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . JUst installed one in my bros pc. Newegg has it for $80 after mail-in and free shipping. I just got an EVGA 8800gt for my pc and is just insane http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . From what I've read here's a good budget O/C intel board from gigabyte http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
As far as you case goes. You do not have to spend $100 or more on a good case. My case cost me $30 after rebate and for temps i get high 20s idle and mid to high 30s load on my cpu, about the same for my system temp, and for my video card after adjust the fan speed up to 56% it gets 47*c idle and it may have nudged 70*c load. I think the E8400 is a great deal for $230 and the crucial ram is good too. Hope I helped you out. Have fun building
February 9, 2008 5:59:34 AM

OKAY OKAY - More research, more input, REVAMPED PLAN/IDEA, please review:

MoBo - $149 - ASUS P5K-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

OR

Mobo - $149 - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU - $189 - E8400 Core 2 Duo - 3.0GHz - 1333MHz FSB - 6MB L2 - 775-pin LGA Socket T

Graphics - $310 -EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

RAM - $89 - CORSAIR XMS2 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

HDD - $149 - Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3500320NS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
BUT I really don't know if I need 500GB and after reading reviews of Seagate service & warranty - I may stick with

-$169 - Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150

Either this Case & PSU combo:
CASES - $45 - NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
PSU - $79 - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply - Retail

OR OR OR
the previously suggested combo -
- $120 - Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

plues added Intercooler :

EITHER - $31 -ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO CPU Cooler
or

- $27 - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm

Since Im not going to OC right away, i think just a cheap cooler will be good for now, I'd rather spend money on a good one when the time is right......i think???

I was trying to stay under 1k - but it seems as though these adjustment fit very nicely together and offer good long lasting performance, with some elboe room

And i'm at $1057 after rebates, but before shipping.

So what do you think? what would u suggest on the split items, or would u put something else it comparable in price.

Also how are MSI & EVGA Motherboards - I may be able to get those at cost, how do they compare? this is really a side note - I think the listed system is pretty close to what I want.

I will be running VISTA ULTIMATE - I plan to upgrade to 8 gig ram later -
Plus comes with free game of Crysis - never played but hear its awesome -

THanks agian
February 9, 2008 8:06:40 AM

if you are not going to do RAID or SLI, the GA-P35-DS3L is a very stable, easily overclockable, and inexpensive way to go.
February 9, 2008 8:18:47 AM

i'll throw a wrench in too. if your spending $150 on a mb, check out the 750i based p5n-d by asus. just built a computer with it and so far so good. full 16x 2.0 sli with support for the new 45nm cores. as for the hdd, you can get 500gb drives for $100, $150 seems too expensive. I don't think its 50% more performance for that 50% higher price tag, how about you? ac freezer 7 pro is nice, used it in the new build too. quiet and keeps a stock q6600 at 24c idle (room is 23c...)
February 9, 2008 5:25:16 PM

Quote:
check out the 750i based p5n-d by asus. just built a computer with it and so far so good. full 16x 2.0 sli with support for the new 45nm cores

Good point, I guess I didn't even realieze that some Mobo's don't support the 45nm (which the e8400 uses)

Is this an issue??

As for the HDD - I have been back and forth back and forth on the Raptor VS seagate 7200.11 -
I keep hearing (reading) "you'd be lucky to see a performance difference"
However, I have also read very consistently that the failure rate of Seagate/WD = 10/1

I'd rather get reliability when it all comes down to it - even if it was a WD 7200 drive, thoughts??
February 9, 2008 6:31:09 PM

It's only an issue with the 6xx chipsets from nvidia and probably old 945 chipsets. The 965/975 should be fine, and the new Pxx are obviously compatible, as they were created for this die shrink.

For the HDD, the $100 is for a WD. Reliability is roughly the same for all HDDs now a days. Rarely does someone come out with a consistently high failure drive like the old Hitachi DEATHstars. I'm sure there are an equal number of people here who would SWEAR that WD drives never fail them to people who would also swear that WD is junk. It's all a crap shoot. If you really want reliability, go with a couple 320 drives in RAID 1. Should be about $160-$180. Otherwise, backup often.
February 9, 2008 6:42:02 PM

coryburgess said:
Thats really all that I play now, b/c i'm running an GeForce4 MX440
with an old P4 2.66ghz

ALso, has anyone seen wow with the graphics maxed out _
How does it look???

How about upgrading the graphic card and sticking with the old PC? If you don't have an enourmous screen all that graphic power only calculates frames you cannot see anyway.
February 9, 2008 11:41:58 PM

I actually went to upgrade my grpahics card and had issues - I think that my mother board now is still AGP - is that right??

Plus I am setting this PC up as a mini-mini server --kind -a - sorta

Really I own a business with my brother and I need to set up a VPN router so that we can access our quickbooks file from his home - I have my network up as a gigabit network - I may end up just keeping this current PC for work, that way if he's "logged into it" , (sorry this is new to me) then it wont' impair my
February 9, 2008 11:46:14 PM

sorry, wasn't finished -

won't impair my PC expereince.

Also - I want badly to upgrade to Windows VISTA ULTIMATE - w/ media center - I run a home theather company and many automation and DVD server system are starting to utilize Media Center, along with Home Theater PC's.

Microsft gave us two free copies of vista Ultimate & Media Center.

I NEED to get into it and start learning as much as possible.

Also I am currently using a 40" Samung 1900x1280 LCD /TV with 10bit processing and 120MHz - this thing looks amazing on BluRay and PC games, but I may switch out to something smaller - its a bit overwhelming for daily use. Sit back far enough and its fine, but still kinda big.

Thanks again for the help
!