zerotm

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
So I've tried upgrading an older PC of mine that I no longer use, but it's still for the rest of the family.

Basically I've had it since 2003, it's a Sony VAIO, the motherboard is a P4S533-VX.

I've had no problems with it. Recently I put in 1 PC2700 333MHz 512MB Stick, and 2 Other 512MB Sticks at PC3200 400MHz. (There's only 3 slots. Total 1.5GB)

I ran a 3DMark03 benchmark and wanted to see the results for possibly dual channel so I turned off the PC, removed the 333MHz 512MB Stick from the middle slot and booted up the PC.

After that I can't even get past the BIOS, I tried putting it back in, or running a single 333MHz stick and no luck. No matter what I do the PC just shuts off just before the Windows Loading screen, even with safe mode.

The hard drive is being detected along with its capacity so I don't think that died? The CPU seems to be working fine and I even downclocked it from 2.59 to the original 2.4 and still the PC wouldn't boot up. Videocard is still functioning, motherboard is responding.

I can't figure this out. Help?

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

Unhook hte original hd. hook up another hd. Keep your ram either 333 or 400. Do not mismatch it at this time. then try to install windows.see if you can install the windows with the new drive. then, let me know the result.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

make a second patition on the same drive if you have extra space from boot disk ( use your floppy drive). Then , try to install windows. Use only same type of memory.

If you do not care of data in your hd, forget the partition step and install the windows.

Let me know your status after that.