need advice on amd phenom 9600 black edition, is the gaming performance there?

Myzery

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
i been eying this processer 4 about a month now, i know its sucks when pitted against intel but i dont do anything but games,can this processer keep above 60 fps on most games coupled with 2 8800 ultras? i also heard the 6400+ smokes this quad chip if it does then i dont want it,

psymanproductions

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
for now your better with the high end dual core athlons... or even better core 2s...

most games wont go much faster on 4 cores than 2 at the ame clockspeed and with the 9600 black edition not even garunteed to reach 2.4ghz, a 3.2 ghz dual core athlon will give better performance for games.

with phenom youve got the huge heat output and TLB issiue to contend with and you wont see great performance for games.

my advice is wait 'till theres TLB error free phenoms running at ~3ghz, thus providing as much single and dual threaded performance as the athlons and/or wait 'till most games can make good use of 4 cores... even better, switch to intel, the simple fact is that they offer far superior performance right now and im not a fanby, im running amd right now

Myzery

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
yea im just really stomped on cpu choice, more and more games are taking advantage of these quads like ut3 and crysis, but if i cant max my game settings on phenom cause of processer bottlenecks then i need to hop the intel bandwagon soon, i just perfer amd, e8400 looks like a champ but i dont know how well it would scale with games that are threaded 4 quads

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
actually, in my opinion, its the worst moment to buy a CPU.
If you wait for AMD, 2 things can happen one after the other:
-AMD release is good enough to make it a viable option
-Intel cuts CPU prices, making other interesting options more affordable.

I would just sit and wait. Those "new games" won't fly away.

psymanproductions

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
yea i would say wait or go for an intel quad or dual...

what cpu r u running now? if its something like a p4 or pentium d then its prolly worth buying a new cpu now because you wont be getting all the power of ur lovely graphics cards wile theyre in their prime. otherwise wait 6months to see what amd does with phenom and what game devs do with multicore

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

The Current Phenoms could not even beat it if they the games were fully quad-core optimized.

The Phenom Might hit about 2.8 Ghz
The E8400 About 4.2Ghz
The E8400 is also about 20% faster Clock for Clock which would equate to the Phenom running @5.0Ghz.
In general CPU scaling is not 100% over cores so at best it could match fully quad optmized tasks.
In other tasks, it would be trounced.

The x2-6400 is the better AMD option at the moment.

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
The Phenom is only worth it on an AM2+ system. I have built a good few and that chip runs great. For max gaming performance if you are already on an AM2 or AM2+ I would go with the 6400 for now. Unless you are realy hurting on an old system this is about the worste time to invest. If you have any kind of gaming power now then just wait a few monthes. The 6400 games better now and probably will next year then quad cores.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
If you prefer AMD, an X2 6400+ would be the better choice for games. Hardly any games are quad optimised at this point, and many of those that claim they are (like Crysis and UT3) still run faster on higher clocked dual cores anyway. ;)

To be brutally honest, with a pair of 8800 Ultras you'd be best off with an overclocked E8400 to avoid bottlenecking.

TRENDING THREADS