Sign in with
Your question

How High is Too High for Northbridge Voltage?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 28, 2008 6:00:57 PM

As you can see from a couple of my recent posts, I am having some stability troubles with my e8400 OC. I have gotten some great advice, and narrowed down potential causes to just a few issues.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253115-28-instability...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253163-28-causing-sys...

One that I can't find out a specific answer to is Northbridge voltage. I know I need to bump it up due to RAM requirements/GPU requirements. But how much is too much of a good thing?

See my specs, below. And my settings in my posts.

Updated settings:

425 x 9 = 3.825 GHz
1.35 VCore (vdroop to ~1.325)
2.2 v Mem (vdroop to ~2.16)
1.8 v SB i/o
1.15 v SB core
1.5 v North Bridge

Also, my PCIe frequency is set to 100 MHz, and some sort "Enable" to separate PCI frequency from DRAM, blah blah blah. Is this correct/anything I need to worry about?

Thanks for your help!
August 28, 2008 8:06:52 PM

1.5v would be on the extreme end of voltage applied to the NB of a P35. So a setting between 1.4-1.45v would add enough voltage to make the difference to stablize an otherwise unstable system. I think you are asking should you lock your PCIE at 100 MHz? I think this allows a hold on the speed of the PCIE BUS from your overall system BUS OC, which is generally ideal. This is generally the rule. However, I have an Intel 945 MB running a 533MHz. FSB processor. On that system, I 'must and absolutely must' increase the PCIE frequency to 110-119 MHz. to achieve a system OC.
August 28, 2008 9:08:51 PM

well for a P35 you will need max NB and FSB voltage once pass 400FSB. because its only rated for 1333 max fsb, the x38/x48 is basically the same chipset will full function enabled that pass the speed bin process within a given circustances(voltage,temp).
Related resources
August 28, 2008 9:39:34 PM

That's odd though. Why would the PCIE need more freq to maintain FSB's stability? An issue with that particular Intel chipsets or all of them? My X48 goes 400 with 1.39v, after that my worthless OCZ ram holds me back.
August 28, 2008 9:51:40 PM

Hi Guys:

Badge and gillgill--I have seen you post some good info over the months. So I will implement your advice tonight when I get the time.

I have heard that messing with the PCIe bus speed is dangerous to your VGA, but a bump to 110 MHz isn't bad then is it?

My BIOS lists 1.5 NB voltage as being OC'd, as is 1.475. I believe that 1.4 v is not considered an "OC" voltage (ie., is colored in white, as opposed to red. Whatever that means...

Modtech, do you think my OCZ RAM is at fault? I am running 2x2 Reaper, which I understand is more difficult to OC generally than 2x1 GB. But does OCZ generally suck in your experience?

Thanks for your help!
August 28, 2008 10:04:41 PM

i think nowadays VGA card wont get damaged by rising the PCI-E frequency.BUT because its taking more bandwidth then normal you will have a high chance of making the data read from the HD to become corrupted since data is lost because the narrowing lane.

those colour actually means if its a safe-white or red-dangerous voltage. apply only neccessary voltage. just give what ever it needs.

OCZ ram is good for OC and value. but are you running it at 1:1 ratio?
August 29, 2008 12:49:34 AM

Give it up bro. Up the vcore to 1.4 and run it where it lets you. Its a P35, you need a P45 to get uch more. You hit your motherboards FSB wall. Making more threads wont help no matter how much you want it to.
August 29, 2008 12:58:19 AM

I still have the problem. But different thread, different question.

I have a p35, but I have no intention of ditching it until Nehalem forces me to. Until then, I will continue to find every means of squeezing all the performance out of it that I can. Is there anything wrong with that?

Roadrunner, you have gained my respect over time for your insight and advice. Now don't muck it up with dumbass glib comments.
August 29, 2008 3:03:00 AM

Yea OCZ plat PC2-6400 2x1GB, hates running 1:1 and has a sort of grudge against my rampage formula, I put a friend's super cheap kingstone value ram in and it actually OCed higher. OCZ power supplies aren't too good either, you're paying for the brand rather than the quality.
I'm upgrading to 2x2GB Gskill PC2-8000 as they are miles better.
!