Looking at getting more memory. Not at home. Any rec on memory? Want t

crewxp

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Hey, I'm out of town right now, so I can't really research what's out for memory from my iPhone, but I really need some memory recommendations for my setup. If possible, some links so I can just click it from my phone. I was going to order it, and have it sent to my place so it'll be there when i get back.

P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard
2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module
Corsair HX620 PSU
E6600 Core2Duo
3x320gb raid setup
ATI X1900 XTX Graphics card
2x24" Gateway Monitors

Right now I have 2GB running Windows Vista 64-bit, and it's kinda sluggish with my setup. Ever since Service Pack 1, the computer seemed like it was starting programs and loading slower.

Purpose: I multi-task A LOT! I usually have about 200 tabs open in firefox (and yes, computer still seems sluggish even with firefox closed), Visual Studio, Photoshop, and occasionally games like Command Conquer, Cstrike, Spore (when comes out), Sims, etc.

And I've been outa the loop for a while. I want 4GB+, but I don't know whether to toss my current memory modules, or add them to my new memory. And I don't know whether to get 2x2gb or 2x4gb.

Hopefully you can help me out with this. I'ld like to order it before 2AM tonight. Thanks.

Some mobo's do not work well with mixed memory brands, speeds, and sizes. It is best if all the sticks are exactly the same. If sticks are different, they will work at the lowest common denominator of specs, if at all.

1) Add another 2gb with a kit exactly the same as your current. 4gb = +$40-50.
2) Add a similar 4gb kit of 2x2gb. 6gb = +$100.
3) Dump/sell the old and get two 4gb(2x2gb) kits 8gb = + $150.

With the level of multitasking you are talking about, I would get as much as possible; option 3.

As far as I know, there are no 2x4gb kits.

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Agree .. , also currently no desktop mobo that can support 4GB in one slot (afaik). So 4x2GB is the best you can get.

crewxp

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
1.) If I get 2x2gb Ballistics Tracer, can I still use my 1x2gb memory I have now?
2.) Would you recommend 2x4gb or 4x2gb (if i went 8gb route)

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008

Listen to antas. There is no desktop memory stick that has 4GB per stick. You need to buy 4 2GB sticks in order to get 8GB.

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
1) to be on the safe side you should use the exact mem modules. I don't know exactly the specs of those ballistics. So you should see carefully if those mems have the same timing, speed, voltage etc. Most likely it will work, but it will set to the lowest settings of those two mems. Which will be such a waste if you buy a higher memory specs.

2) 2x4GB > read at all the posts above: there are no single 4GB Mem and no desktop mobo support 4GB in one slot. Thus you can't go for 2x4GB. It should be 4x2GB.