Reinstalling activated Windows 7 copy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hMikeS

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hello,

I've been having immense problems with Windows 7, and, after following every suggestion I could find on the internet to no avail, I've decided that the best thing to do now would be to reinstall it.

The problem is, Windows doesn't boot any more. Because of that, I can't deactivate it. If I reinstall the same copy of Windows on to the same hard drive it's on now, will that mean that I can't activate it because Microsoft thinks there's still an activated copy roaming around somewhere?

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium OEM (it's legal to use it here in Germany).

I'd appreciate any help!!

Solution
Don't worry about it at all! Most likely it will just activate online with no trouble. Worst case scenario - you will have to activate it over the phone with a customer service rep. If it's on the same computer / same hardware you shouldn't have any problems.

jasonw223

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Don't worry about it at all! Most likely it will just activate online with no trouble. Worst case scenario - you will have to activate it over the phone with a customer service rep. If it's on the same computer / same hardware you shouldn't have any problems.

Solution
As long as you have not changed the MB you should have no problem.

A suggestion. Before reinstalling Windows. Boot to a Bootable CD with memtest86. This will verify that you do not have a problem with memory. Memory errers can corrupt a windows installation and mess up windows once it is installed.

After windows installation Also it is always a good idea to verify your voltages. Normally most MBs frovide a utility. Myself I normally use HWMonitor. Voltages should be checked under load. So what I do is download Prime95. Open HWMonitor and run prime95. Only need to run for say 5 minutes and monitor +5V and +12V. The +12 V should not go below 11.6V (Spec is 11.4) and the 5 V should not go below 4.75V

hMikeS

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Thanks guys! I didn't call Microsoft (mostly because I couldn't find a support number anywhere on their website and, inserting the product ID of my operating system, their website told me no free support would be available and sending a lowly email would've cost me >70 euros). I had already run a memory test before I flashed the BIOS, and reinstalled Windows. You're absolutely right, it's working fine now.
Thanks a lot for the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.