Think I could get $300 for a AMD 4000+ PC?

Xpyrofuryx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Okay, I am building a new computer. I bought a lot of the smaller parts (CD Drive, Case, RAM, Cooler, Hard Drive, ect.). I need 4 more parts now, the big ones (CPU, Mobo, GPU, PSU).

I get $100 every week from my part-time job, so in three weeks I will have $300, which will cover a Motherboard ($140) and a PSU ($120) and then gas money lol.

I am selling something to someone for $200 so that will cover my GPU (Radeon HD 3870).

So now, I need to get the CPU, I want either a Q6600 or a Phenom 9600 BE. (I found a nice DFI 790FX board), so thats either $240 or $260, my question is I have my computer that I'm replacing that I am hoping will cover the cost of the CPU, so my question is do you think I could get enough to get one of these CPUs, Here is the specs of the system:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
1GB DDR 400mhz
DFI Lanparty NF4
250GB Western Digital SATA HD
nVidia GeForce 7300GT 256mb
DVD Drive
CD Drive
Black ATX Case w/ see-through side

Xpyrofuryx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Dell computers are garbage though. And I live in Reading, pennsylvania. I guess even if I sold it for $250 and then what like at max $40 shipping

Xpyrofuryx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I beg to differ lol. Im a technician at a computer repair shop and 90% of the computers we get in are Dell, they break and fail all of the time.

But anyway It has a quality PSU in it, its in a nice black ATX mid tower case with plexyglass side window and has nice LED fans, it also has a 3x fan controller. Its a pretty damn nice computer, and performs quite well in games, better than youd expect, It can play Supreme Commander and new games like that without any etchyness. Only games I could see it having problems with is like Crysis (never tried it) but I have played a lot of recent games on it and it plays them suprisingly well

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
But that one also has bout the same specs as the usual Dell PCs mentioned.
And if people can buy his rig on a yard sale or whatever, I guess they wont say no.

kuniskos

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
To step aside from the Dell issue for a moment, I think the value of the PC partly depends on the OS situation. Are you selling it with a legitimate copy of XP Pro OEM? XP Home OEM? XP Pro Full Retail? Linux? Windows ME?

If the machine has a legal copy of XP, $300 may be reasonable.

kuniskos

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Check this out:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/579950034.html

Craigslist is probably your best best. You may have to meet someone halfway or something, but I'm sure you can work out the details.

Good luck.

One final thing. Craigslist can be dicey (in case you haven't used it before). If you're selling a computer and somebody asks for Spring Break pics of you in a Speedo, just delete the email. In other words, try to get a sense of the person who claims he wants to do business with you.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Craigslist is not a bad option.
You may get somebody to bite.

But you can get new Dell's for actually quite a bit less than $300 if you consier that $379 might include a 19" or 20" monitor which could be sold and drop the price to $250-$275.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Well, considering the fact that I just got $150 for an old Athlon XP 2100+ based system with 1gb DDR400, a 40gb Quantum fireball IDE HDD, a TDK CD Burner, and a BFG geforce FX 5600Ultra I think you should be able to pull $275 easy. I work at Walmart, and most PCs that sell for less than $300 don't come with anything but the tower and keyboard+mouse. That includes the retail Dells, and when you consider the fact that those all usually come with nothing more than onboard video, and not a lot of ram or HD space, then you got a lot to think about. Not to mentions the ones that are that cheap are either Celerons, Semprons, or low end Pentium Dual's, not meant for OCing.

I'd like to say go with one or the other on the processors, but ultimately it's up to you on that, you can find the 9600be for about 219 now I think, on newegg. Not to mention even though the processors aren't the best, they have a damn nice platform with the 790fx boards. But, the q6600 will perform faster clock for clock, and OC much better.

If you get the phenom, get a 790fx board, can find some for as low as $180, or if you wanna try hybrid Xfire, get a 780g. If you go intel I'd go with an x38/x48 board for crossfire, but if you like nvidia more, there is always the 780i boards.

Either way, even at stock speeds, you'll see a good performance boost over your x2 4000+.

paranoidmage

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
No way dude. Dell sells "new" computers for $300. Good luck.

You probably can't beat Dell, but there are other rip-off companies out there. A local company sold pentium 4 computers for between 1 and 2 thousand as their BOXING DAY sale. you just have to sell it to someone who doesn't know anything about computers.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, That Ship Pisses me off.

I try and monitor my local CraigsList board for obvious scammers, and post warnings but I can't watch all the time.

I don't mind selling for more than something is worth, but sometimes I see $200-$300 PCs being touted as great systems and folks listing for $1000+ more than they are worth. It's then when I step in.

Pyros777

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
eBay!

I hate that this is true, but there is a sucker born every minute. Just list at $300 and see what happens. If it doesn't sell you don't get charged so you don't have much to lose.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006

OK - can't resist and gotta ask about the speedo issue, Is that a Philadelphia thing or your personal fantasy or what ???????

Mondoman

Splendid
ebay will charge a listing fee even if it doesn't sell, but that should only be a few dollars.

xpyro: take a look on ebay for systems with similar specs, then look at what they actually sold for (check "completed listing" in the search properties); that will give you an idea of the value.

For another comparison point, I just sold my old Ubuntu system for $160 (although I probably could have gotten $200 if I didn't just go with the first person who contacted me). Specs were:
ECS MB (Core2Duo ready)
Pentium D 805 clocked at 3GHz
2 GB DDR2-533 RAM
8x DL DVD writer
160GB WD PATA hard drive
fancy Microsoft wireless keyboard and Intellimouse Explorer V2
Smartpower 380w PS
Ultra wizard case
XFX GeForce 6200 AGP card
GB ethernet card

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Just in case you have not bought your memory yet, I recommend you do not get memory with heatspreaders, just had to throw away a gig that had a heatspreader on it. Trust me, for cooling, it's more definitely adequate, Idle temp for my Athlon x2 5200+ is higher 20 degree celcius range. But started getting lockups and errors all the time, tested memory, one stick was bad, pulled that stick out, and it was fairly warm, smelled somewhat like burnt electronics, had another stick that had no heatspreader and bought another one without heatspreader, installed them, no more problems. I'm guessing the other with a heatspreader just fried itself which kinda stunk....

tlmck

Distinguished

Many folks have recommended Craig's List which I have had good luck with. You have a local one. http://reading.craigslist.org/

You might put $325 OBO and see what happens. You never know. Be sure and post a pic also if possible.

kuniskos

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

Neither (as far as I know). Whenever I recommend craigslist, especially to somebody who may be a little less jaded than I am, I try to warn 'em. I've used craigslist a lot over the years and it's a great way to buy and sell computer stuff, but there's no shortage of head cases.

But I will admit to the occasional fantasy about a Philly cheesesteak.