Raid 0 Setup, first timer

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I will begin building my new system soon, and I am wondering about Raid 0 setup. I have 2 WD Raptors(80gb each), currently setup on my dell in Raid 0, and I am planning on just installing them into the new system. I am still deciding on what mobo to buy, but being a novice at this, I am wondering if I can just install both hdd in the new pc, and off I will go, or will the new build require a new RAID 0 setup, seeing how I am using a new mobo and installing the new Bios on the new mobo? Sorry if I have some of the lingo wrong, but as I stated earlier, I am VERY novie at this and just recently got intrested to try and build a new pc on my own(before I would have just ordered a new Dell, the way I wanted), but I really enjoy tinkering with my pc, and being a diesel mechanic I like building and taking things aprt, I just don't wanna screw them up. So if you guys have ANY advice even advice other than what I am asking about PLEASE feel free to lay it on me. Again I am VERY novice, so try and make your comments easy to understand, remember I am a noob at this. Thanks.

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Also I am wondering on PC cases, I am intrested in either a
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830-KKN3-GP
or a
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP ,
I want a really good case for highend gaming and in the future I wanna OC, when I learn how safely, and I wanna use air cooling. Using maybe the zalman 9700 or something, any suggestions?

mlovel2828

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
You’ll have to configure the Raid 0 on your new build. Specifics will depend on the MB (more specifically the chip set on your MB) you select. Be prepared to have an old floppy disk around to load the drivers for the raid or to go through some arcane process to load them over the internet or flash drive. It’s easier with the floppy. Also, you’ll most likely have to reload the operating system, so I hope you have the disks.

I have the Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE and a Zalman 9700 LED and I’m very happy with them.

Q6600 oc'ed 3.2Ghz
Striker extreme MB (i love mine)
8800GTX x 2 in SLI
Zalman 9700 LED CPU Cooler
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
2 WD 150 mb Raptors in Raid 0
Hitacthi 1 TB Deskstar storage drive
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 MCE Dual TV Recorder Tuner Card
LG BluRay HD DVD Burner
Collermaster Stacker 830 SE Case w/1000w PSU
some LED fans and case lights (looks great)
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech G9 mouse

I already had a Dell 24" monitor (present from the wife)

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
ok thanks mlovel2828, I appreciate your response to my question. I just saw the zalman 9700 in person for the first time today, THAT THING IS FREAKING HUGE!!!! At least 3 times larger than I imagined, but I hear it's an awesome cpu cooler. You have basically the exact set setup that I would like to build. I figured as much when I get a new mobo and flash the bios. Thanks.