schlange

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I have a QNAP 209 NAS and I am not really satisfied with it. I use it mainly as: a backup for my main computers, a Media server for music and videos and a storage drive for photos and videos ( I edit my photos off the NAS rather than the main PC hard drives).

The NAS has a weak CPU and has two 1TB HDDs running in Raid 1 (mirror). The problems I have are:

1. The network performance seems really weak when streaming videos from the NAS to my PS3 (often I get Media Server errors and long pauses in middle of the film).

2. Copying files from NAS to PC seems to perform slowly 2mb/sec even on a Gigabit network

3. The media Server (twonky) is an old version and cannot be upgraded

So I was wondering if I could use an older PC with a duo core processor and a 6800GT nvidia card as the main server/NAS? Would it perform better a my NAS and a network media server and as a bit torrent download station?

Could a home built NAS backup from a PC drive on a scheduled basis?

How many drives and how much space can a home built PC manage it it were to serve as a network server? I think I have 4 drive bays - but no RAID card so would SW raid work or should I buy a raid card?

What can I do to minimize Noise and Power Consumption (for example the graphics card consumes lots of power 6800GT, but powers no monitor.

Incorporat3d

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
1. Use parts that are green power, eg WD10EACS or GA-EP45-DS3P
2. Use a good silent power supply that is not Antec.
3. have air flow on all your drives, front in, back out.
4. Use a PCI video card, Virutally nill power but you only need it to install software
5. Use Mirror RAID or RAID5
6. Use a energy efficient processor such as Core2Duo

If you have dificulty cooling your drives, try this http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=detail&tbcate=65&id=2542

STB-3T4-E3-GP

For me, i run both..... NAS and storage server

NAS, Small, energy efficient, used for backup

Server, powerfull, fast and will soon have plenty of space.....14x TB drives just arnt enough.

schlange

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Sounds good.

Do you use a RAID card or the raid controller from the motherboard? How do you managed to control 14 drives from a single card or MB adaper? I think my MB can connect and control to 4 drives. Also the power supply would need more adapters to control 14 drives? Do you use e-sata for any of the drives?

Do you mind posting a list of the equip you use to make a silent nas/network server?

Incorporat3d

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

This is a photo of all the caddies.

This is the upper half of my PC

This is the lower half of my PC with the 80mm fan blowing on the RAID card

And this is the result of my battery change which i am in the middle of......

My current Server Specs,

CoolerMaster CM Stacker Case
Silverstone DA850W Industrial Power Supply - Single 12V Rail, 100% Modular Cables - http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=da850&area=usa
Core2Quad (Cheapest one, Q6600)
Gigabyte EP45-DS3P Energy Efficient Gamer Motherboard - http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2841
2x 2GB DDR2 800 Generic
ATi 2600 Graphics with 1080 HDMI Support
Highpoint RR2340 4x SAS to 16x SATA RAID Controller - http://www.highpoint-tech.com/
Boot Drive, 250GB Seagate SV35 SATA
RAID Set 1, 4x WD10EACS in RAID5 (6GB Free)
RAID Set 2, 4x WD10EACS in RAID5 (8GB Free)
RAID Set 3, 2x WD10EACS/1x WD10EADS in RAID5 (Due to go online in 2 days)
5x SNT-3121 SATA Caddys with Fan Fail/Overheat Alarms
32" LCD Monitor connected via HDMI (Current Res, 1680x1050)

RAID Card is cooled via Sunbeam PCI Rack with 80mm Case fan

All my equipment is protected via On-Line Double Conversion UPS, Powerware 9120-6000

As for your situation, you probably don't need something this big, I would still go for a RAID Card tho, but just smaller case, smaller RAID card, less drives, minimum of 650W PSU.

Maybe a RR2310? 4 port? or a RR2320? 8 port?...... 3x 1TB drives in RAID5, and boot your OS from it as well...... this way you have a redundant server in OS and storage. 8 port will allow 5 more drives later on. If your not worried about downtime, use a 4in3 module from Coolermaster, 4 HDD's in 3 CD bays with 120mm cooling fan, cant beat it....

yohan park

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007

1&2: This isn't normal behaviour for a 209. I've got one myself and writing from PC to NAS is around 12MB/s while reading is over 20MB/s. That sounds like over 10x the speed you're talking about...

3: The new 3.0 firmware is available soon. It's got the latest Twonky so then you're up to date again. You can try the beta from the QNAP website and see if it's any better than what you have now.

schlange

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
thanks yohan park for the feedback

I wonder what could be causing the horrible bottleneck in the network traffic.

I have the newest router DIR-835 (i think is the number). I did notice when a bit torrent client is running the network traffic everywhere slows - even with the ports forwarded. I guess that I just need to accept.

I guess it is time to try to update the firmware on the NAS.