Dan_P

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Ok as time is comming near to finish the build, i find the part i am having the most trouble with is the vid card. What makes one 8800gts or 8800gt or 8800gtx. What should i look for is it higher core speed? it it the size of the memory? Then with some of the GTS you get the ( g92 ) some have it, some dont. any help would be great.

this is what my system is so far, so people have a better idea

780i mobo
q6600
4 gig ram corsair
i will be buying a 24" lcd soon after i choose the vid cards
Os will be vista ultimate 64 bit
psu is a ocz 700 watt gamextream

Well as far as i have seen this is one hell of a card for the money myself and mousemonkey were on a thread earlier this week and agreed that at price performance this was one hell of a card (at least thats the impresion i got i will let mousemonkey nay or yay that PM him if he dosent answer this thread) but it has a better than standard cooler and that has been the biggest complaint amoungst users (that the card got very hot) also its a pre Overclocked model and MSI are very good at this kind of thing in fact if it makes sence to you i consider them to be the HIS of Nvidia cards (If you dont understand that put HIS into google and see what they do wiyh ATI cards.) any ways this card will perform as near as danm it to a 512 GTS at about $80 less at last weeks prices + trebate so its a no brainer as far as im concerned.
That covers Nvidia as far as ATI goes i would recomend a 3870 512 but you need to decide on price/ performance also if you dont need it asap you could consider waiting to see what the 700/770 from ati delevers.
Mactronix

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Is GTS that much more worth it than 8800gt with price difference of 25%?

8800gt is about 90% of the performance of 8800gts. I wouldn't waste money on a gts unless you can't live without that extra 5-10% performance.

^^Agreed. The 8800 GTS G92 is faster (14% more stream processors) and it has a quieter cooler and it throws the heat right out of the case instead of just spreading it to the RAM and CPU and so on.

Here's a good price:
EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB $260 after rebate + $6 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130325

The only good reason to get an 8800GTX rather than an 8800GTS G92 is if you intend to have 3 video cards eventually. That's because the GTX supports Triple-SLI but the GTS doesn't. You rmotherboard supports that already. If you're interested in that I think you should get a different PSU (say, PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 1000W or Enermax Galaxy).

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I think that's good advice, and the ATI equivalent would be 1920 x 1200, get 3870x2, for lower res get 3870. Forget 2900XT at any price point above free gift.

The way card naming's been going with, I keep thinking of Spinal Tap and Nigel's amplifier that's better because it goes up to 11. While ATI can be criticized for the 3xxx convention on architecture that's what the 2xxx cards should have been to begin with; it's Nvidia that's really mucked things up for their fans with several flavors of 8800gts.

Considering the rather alarming amount of posts from people who appear to be having problems with a heat/noise issue that is a direct result of the single slot cooler on the GT's then I reckon that an extra 25% for a better cooler and a bit more performance without the added hassle of replacing the stock HSF is going to be more than worth it for quite a few people.

mactronix if you were referring to that MSI card with the '7900GTO like' cooler then yes I thought that was a stunning deal. [:mousemonkey]

Edit: I see that you were. :)

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

I wouldn't call it problems. People are just antsy about heat and noise. But you are right 8800gts has the better cooler.

Dan_P

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008

i was to belive that all ATI cards happened to be Crossfire and not SLI. I mite be wrong.

So, core speed or memory size dsont matter? i just see some GeForce cards have 550 mhz up to 570mhz dose this matter much?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

2 x ATI card = Crossfire

2 x Nvidia card = SLI

You are right. Are you planning to SLI?

And 550MHz vs 570MHz isn't much of a difference. You can manually do this by overclocking.

Dan_P

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
the 780i Mobo i have is for SLI. I am going to end up running SLI but i mite not do so untell i see what the new 9800 will be like. the whole vid cards make me feel like i am running aorund in a circle.

Is one card better to OC then others? i have read that the xfx is a better OC. i dont know if this is true

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

OCing from company to company? I'm not sure, they're all more or less the same because they all are manufactured from the same place.

pauldh

Illustrious
Galaxy and MSI both have cheap 8800GT cards out there now with better dual slot cooling than the reference single slot 8800gt SHoot, they have both been about $200 shipped AR.

Dan_P

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008

have you used thease cards befor or know someone that has? i know they havnt been out for awhile like other brands. i think i will be aimming tp the gts-g92 seems they are the best all around for the price range. plus to oc it alittle wouldnt hurt anything.

Don't know about Galaxy but MSI did a passively cooled 6600GT that I abused for a while, and that was more than a few weeks ago.

pauldh

Illustrious

I have not used either of those two speicific cards, but would not hesitate to try (buy) either one. matter of fact I would go with one of those over any reference cooled 8800GT including evga (which I look toward first).

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

It has a picture, therefore it isn't a reference model. :pt1cable:

Sorry, I read it incorrectly. Thought they said it was the new cooler.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

I like how they placed the fan in the middle, it improves efficiency compared to putting the fan on one side.

The draw back is some of the hot air goes back into the case.