I want to keep my hard drive and upgraded operating system but upgrade

jlaavenger

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I want to keep my hard drive and upgraded operating system but upgrade my cpu, mobo, vga and memory. How do I do this when my operating system is identified with my mobo and etc. Will it just sence it or do I need to reinstall windows xp pro and then reinstall the vista ultimate upgrade?

I am not sure about Vista, with XP you could do a repair install. All new hardware it is best to start fresh though. Even though the repair install works pretty well, there always seems to be a few bugs that are left over.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Agreed best to start fresh, I would back up my stuff to a cd/dvd/flash drive if I were you. It might pick it all up, but from what I've heard, when your OS does that, it tends to be a lot slower.

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Repair install. Boot from the CD, select Install, then Repair. Windoze will overwrite itself and install proper drivers. There may be one or two that you have to twiddle with, or an application to reinstall, but it sure beats a fresh install of all your apps and rebuilding your settings.

jlaavenger

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
So I could buy this:XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor 2.40GHz OEM, with OCZ 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 Memory (2 x 2048MB) for $399 at Tiger Direct and this:XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX Video Card - FREE Company of Heroes PC Game, 256MB DDR3, SLI Ready, PCI Express, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card for $79.00 at Tiger Direct, put them together plug in my current hard drive and optical drives and boot from my Window Vista Ultimate Upgrade Disk, then select repair? Is this right?

dcinmich

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

Personally, I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to Vista anytime soon. Maybe after SP2 comes out...circa 2009? What's the rush, people? Anyway, if you're going to take the plunge you'd be better off just to buy the full version.

jlaavenger

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I've been running Vista Ultimate for a while now and it's been 1000 times better for me than XP Pro. I had several bsod's with XP. Mostly due to .netframework updates that ATI requires.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Plus if all us evil people who use vista over xp didnt, in a year or two when you upgrade you would have alot more to complain about, so thank us.