Windows xp av help I have a bug from windows AV and i cant even open the files o

unicornfreak2006

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I have a bug on my windows xp from the windows AV when i tryed to update it said i had to pay for it. but i cant.. and now it wont hook up on line wont let me open a thing at all keeps saying stuff like windows need to go online to find out how to open what evey it is iam trying to open hek my photos wont even open Please can you help me.. Iam on a friends pc now trying to get help.... Thank you for your time

Sounds like you've been infected with a fake anti-virus programme. In your own PC, go Start then Run and type in msconfig then hit Enter. Click the StartUp tab and untick everything in that list then click Apply and OK then let the system restart. When it has, click "Don't show this message again" and hit Enter. You might now be able to work normally to clean out the infection but if not, download to your friend's PC a utility called MalwareBytes from http://www.malwarebytes.com.

Transfer it to a flash drive and when you have, change the name of the main executable to Fred.exe or something similar. This is to fool the fake AV to let MBAM install - otherwise it may not. Install and update the programme and run the Quick Scan. Let it fix anything it finds then restart the computer and run the Full Scan. Restart again and post back iof you still have problems.