The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
My second build went perfectly. I used a E6750 on a 680i Lt in an antec 900. installing the stock cpu cooler was difficult thanks to one of the screws/clamps being shorter than the others. After a little bit of reseating I got it on. Now I believed the temps for a stock E6750 were high at 47c idle 69-72c load in an Antec 900. I just replaced my Antec truepower 2.0 550w with a PC P&C Silencer 750w, but during the installation the cpu cooler poped out on one corner. Now my idle temps are 55c and overheating, over 110c, on load and this climps slowly to over 110c even at continuous 50% CPU load. Is this my CPU failing? Or is this my CPU cooler failing? The fan is running fine at the correct RPMs. Is it also true that stock Intel CPU cooler can not be reinstalled? Thank you for any help whatsoever.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
You need to reapply thermal paste. Go to Fry's, or go online @ Newegg.com, and get yourself an Artic Silver. In the meantime, don't stress your computer. 110C for CPU is like you in a 70C hot tub, and being at that temperature will significantly wear down its life span.

Get the thermal paste, reapply it, and reseat the stock heatsink.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Thats what I thought. Also im starting to wonder if the CPU cooler is broken. I do not think it should have been so loose and if it is broken then I do not want to reinstall it. What do you think?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
If it would make you feel better, then you may want to order another heatsink/fan. They can be found on newegg.com and tigerdirect.com for a reasonable price depending on how good you want it to be.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Update:
My CPU now idles at 47c again, but still overheats. I still think this is a thermal paste problem but, I am not an expert on CPU cooler malfunctions since I used to only buy AMD.