COSMOS upgrade, PSU upgrade too? is it worth it?

iamtakeo

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Hey everyone,

I have a Corsair 520W modular PSU

2x 8800GT's
Q6600@2.9Ghz
Striker Extreme mobo

I'm thinking of buying a new Coolermaster COSMOS case, my system is quite noisy atm
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-144-CM
I have watercooling.

I was wondering if it would be worth it upgrading my PSU at the same time as the Case.
the GPUs arent complaining about power, I'm having some issues getting stable over 3Ghz but I think thats more my inexperience in overclocking and nForce mobo's FSB holes.

Corsair Modular 520W > 850W+ ????
on the basis of future GPU upgrades in mind and higher overclocks.

Or am I a bit too power hungry and wanting to throw money at something.

---------------
On a side note.

my watercooling pump/CPU block (combined) is causing the case to make a constant drone. ive tried tightening everything, then having it loose as safely possible, having rubber under the motherboard screws to dampen the vibrations. plastic bubblewrap too (abandoned that)

I'm thinking of buying that COSMOS case to hopefully shut my PC up (along with more soundproofing) and keeping an eye on temperatures. Does anyone have tips of getting a quiet computer with watercooling. is it worth it going for a Big sound conscious case like the COSMOS? (link below)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-144-CM

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
You should take a good look at the new Cosmos S. If you have the cash,go with the new Lian Li PC-P80 case. I own this case,and its very well made.Its also setup to be able to run two water cooling systems. The new Freezone Elite does a really great job cooling an overclocked processor,and would also be not as loud as what your running. I tested and reviewed the Elite.The review can be found at nordichardware. Take a look at both cases. The P80 has so much room and also holds 6 HDDs.Even with all 4 / 140mm fans on high you can just about hear it.Plus it has a built in fan controller.