Help please: My screen flickers randomly

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hi,

I have had my current PC since August of 2007 and it has had this problem where the screen flickers randomly. Sometimes it does not flicker for a week, othertimes it could flicker 3 times in one use. I had a friend build the PC and he said he did not have the flicker problem when he was setting it up for use. He has a chimei monitor and I have a dell monitor that has usb connectors.

My system specs are as follows:

Asus m2n sli AM2 socket mobo
2 gigs of corsair ram 2 x 1 gig
antec 900 cast
antec power supply
7900 GS with zerotherm cooler
am2 5600+ with artic colling cooler
seagate harddrive 300gb
creative soundblaster audigy
netgear wireless network card

We have reformated the PC and it still has the problem. Currently the november 2007 non beta nvidia graphics card drivers are installed and I am still experiencing the flicker problem. I have not reseated the ram and I am using a network card through the windows installer software (not the prepackaged netgear wireless card software because I chose not to).

Could soemoen please give me some pointers onw hat might be causing my screen to randomly flicker?

I have had it flicker when surfing the web and playing games so it does not matter what I am doing. We have thought about putting the stock cooler tback ont he evga 7900GS and returning it to EVGA for a replacement or repair, but we are not sure what the problem is.

Please help me in any way you can.

Thank you!

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Probably a bad cord or maybe even a bad onnection in the monitor or onthe motherboard. Another possibility is bad power from the wall. I really doubt it is a problem with your graphic card or your drivers.

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I have something to add:

We added a Zero therm cooler to my 7900GS. We beleive we did not damage the card because it scored the same amount of 3d marks with the zero therm cooler as it did with the evga stock cooler.

My friend who built the computer has put aftermarket coolers on 2 other graphics card, a 6800GS (EVGA) and a 7900 GT (EVGA). Both are working and he does not have a flicker problem.

Do you think that we could have done something when installing the zero therm cooler?

We tightened the screws in a criss cross motion and we were sure not to over tighten.