Sign in with
Your question

BFG 8800GT OC x2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2008 2:52:53 AM

Hi all,
today i bought my second BFG 8800GT OC and of course i wanted to test the new power. I have to say that i don't see such an improvement and i'm a little confused because i'm new to SLI.

Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4L
Q6600 quadcore overclocked to 2700/900 without voltage changes
4GB Corsair RAM
2xBGF 8800GT OC in SLI
620W Corsair PSU
Nvidia 169.25 graphic drivers
Windows Vista Home Premium 64

Crysis is running 1440x900 without AA with peaks of 40fps all medium, it's not strange? Should not be more?
Unreal Tournament 3 is running 62fps with one card and something like 18fps with SLI.
3DMark06 is running 30fps peak in SLI, with one card it was 71.
FSX Service Pack 2 is running like before, maybe a little better but nothing special.

One question, why i don't have SLI Antialiasing??? There is not in my AA setup...
Another question, which is the main difference between Single-GPU, force split, force alternate 1 and force alternate 2?
Nvidia SLI is so crap? Unreal is not supporting it??? Crysis is using such a small amount of power from SLI?

I'm a little confused you know, i was expecting 40fps stable in complex scenes in crysis and the truth is that Crysis goes from 25fps to 40 constantly ON MEDIUM!!!

Maybe i did something wrong? There are special setups?

More about : bfg 8800gt

February 17, 2008 3:24:05 AM

Could be the 650i board it has only 8x lanes.
February 17, 2008 3:55:07 AM

Hi,
if it's like that can you suggest me a good motherboard?

I get the same result in 3dmark06 with single gpu and alternate frame rendering!!! It's like if it's not using the second card!

If i setup frame splitting 3dmark06 is giving a bad error: the first half is rendering good and the second half is rendering really badly and i have 2FPS!!!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 3:55:20 AM

There is basically no performance difference between 8x/8x and 16x/16x though. I had researched this before deciding on a SLI mobo and went 650i also. edit: You would be wasting your money to change mobos.

OP - make sure you install Crysis patch 1.1 and try the latest beta drivers. I'm not sure which they are for Vista 64-bit. Also, you will not a see a difference at 14x9 medium details. With SLI, you should be able to play 14x9 2x or even 4x aa and 16xaf at all high details. Either that or 14x9 and very high. At those settings you should see a big difference between SLI enabled and SLI disabled. Test it and run the crysis bench both ways to see. Have you messed with the SLI settings in the crysis profile? If so you may try setting them back to the way thery were at default. Not sure what is going on with UT3 for you.

I've been very happy with basically the same setup you have, except I avoided Vista 64-bit for now and went with XP Pro 32-bit. I had discussed this with a bud here and we both felt a couple months ago Vista 64-bit and SLI together may be too much hassle for the time being. If all was working well I'd think you could run 14x9 very high in crysis on your setup.
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 4:04:55 AM

Oh, and if you leave the game specific sli profile as it was and it says single card for sli mode, that doesn't mean it's running only one card. You can test it by disabling sli altogether and see the performance drop. BTW, You will not get a huge increase in 3dmarks at deafult demo settings with SLI.

If you have been messing with your game profiles, I'd suggest uninstalling the drivers and deleting profiles when you do it. Then reinstall the drivers (newest betas) and don't mess with in game profiles until after you get your problems worked out. For fun and testing, I messed around alot with my game profiles and lost alot of performance that I was unable to gain back for some reason. There is no way to revert to original driver defaults both globaly and profile wise in one shot, so I did the steps above (driver reinstall).
February 17, 2008 4:09:21 AM

I have the patch 1.1, and i'm happy that i have not to change motherboard. I checked and the mobo is 16 lanes and 8 lanes on first and second pci exp.

I tried every resolution and setting with Crysis, if i use 14x9 very high without AA i get 15fps :( 

Tomorrow i'm going to try to install the beta drivers, in the meanwhile every help could be useful. Thanks in advance!
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 4:40:44 AM

Make sure you set up your jumper pins correctly for sli. On my mobo it's a simple switch of direction of a SLi card to go between 16x/1x and the 8x/8x that is used for SLI. Unfortunatly, yours has jumpers instead which is a bit trickier. You don't want to run SLI in 16x/1x mode for instance (not sure if it would allow it even). But to make it 8x/8x for SLI use will require changing those jumpers, which your manual should explain. AFAIK there is no 16x/8x possibility with the 650i mobos. I'ts 16x/1x, (or 16x/disabled on some), and 8x/8x for SLI.
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 9:12:25 AM

One thing I noticed going from 2x 7900GT's to 2x 8800GT's was that the threshold for SLI seemed to have moved up with the newer cards, by that I mean with the 7900's SLI made a difference @1280 x 1024 and above but with the 8800's SLI only seems to kick in @1680 x 1050. I avoided all the Pci-e lane confusion by only looking at mobo's that did 32x (16x/16x) with SLI enabled.
February 17, 2008 11:00:49 AM

I istalled 169.28 beta today and it's the same thing. Crysis in high settings goes to 30-37fps maximum. If i use single gpu or force frame rendering 1 it's the same result. WTF it's going on?????????????????????????
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 11:07:30 AM

Carlovfx said:
I istalled 169.28 beta today and it's the same thing. Crysis in high settings goes to 30-37fps maximum. If i use single gpu or force frame rendering 1 it's the same result. WTF it's going on?????????????????????????

Try XP 32bit.
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 12:18:38 PM

Carlovfx said:

I get 50-60% more performance running default crysis profile sli mode (single gpu) compared to disabling SLI, so SLI is not off by default in the Crysis NV game profile despite it saying single gpu. This seems to be a reporting bug or something where the correct mode isn't displayed. I've tried all the SLI modes in that game profile and found you won't do better than leaving it as it was in the driver defaults. Have you tried disabling SLI altogether to see what one GPU gives? Try this and force 4xaa for fun and you should see a large difference between sli enabled and sli disabled. If you just change the game profile from single gpu to afr1 or afr2 or viseversa, you have not enabled/disabled sli. If you have not disabled SLI you are just comparing sli modes not one card vs dual cards. (edit I should say that manually changing the profile to single gpu may do just that. But, default driver profile reporting single GPU doesn't mean SLI is disabled in that game.

Anyway, disable SLI here for your one gpu vs 2 gpu testing, not in the crysis game profile. Leave that at it's default setting. If ou messed with the game profile, you have to set it back and I'm not sure if AF1 or AF2 is default (probably af1), that's why I suggested reinsalling the drivers and not messing with the sli mode in the game profiles (unless you have a bug).

Also, are you sure you set up those jumpers correctly? Not sure if you saw that up above.
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 12:42:21 PM

You can use nhancer to correctly see the sli modes used.
http://www.nhancer.com/

taken from the SLi forums:
"Here is a list of all the games and application that genuinely use Single GPU mode in the 169.28 drivers: (taken from the NvApps.xml File)

Games with Single GPU SLI Specific Profile:
Sims 2 – all versions
Hitman Contracts
Thief 3
Clear Sailing
Fire Truck
City of Hero’s
FIFA Soccer - All Versions
NASCAR SimRacing
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Boiling point – Road to Hell
Dungeon Lords
Tiger Woods – all versions
NHL – all versions
Neuro
Heroes of might & magic 5
Blitzkrieg II
Draken: Order of the Flame
Cossacks II
Heroes of the Annihilated Empires
Medievil : Total War
Arx Fatalis
Juiced
Priston Tale
Maelstrom
Instinct
Myth War
Voyage Century Online
HuangE Online
Infernal
Dragon Throne & Expansion
Chinese Paladin 4"
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 1:39:45 PM

pauldh said:

Sims 2 %u2013 all versions
Hitman Contracts
Thief 3
Clear Sailing
Fire Truck
City of Hero%u2019s
FIFA Soccer - All Versions
NASCAR SimRacing
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Boiling point %u2013 Road to Hell
Dungeon Lords
Tiger Woods %u2013 all versions
NHL %u2013 all versions
Neuro
Heroes of might & magic 5
Blitzkrieg II
Draken: Order of the Flame
Cossacks II
Heroes of the Annihilated Empires
Medievil : Total War
Arx Fatalis
Juiced
Priston Tale
Maelstrom
Instinct
Myth War
Voyage Century Online
HuangE Online
Infernal
Dragon Throne & Expansion
Chinese Paladin 4"

Hmmm, all of which were already listed under 'poop' in my mental catalogue. :lol: 
February 17, 2008 1:51:53 PM

All the jumpers are setupped correctly on the Mobo, i'm going to cry :( 
February 17, 2008 1:57:42 PM

Crysis 1440x900
High Settings
Single GPU
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 2:03:24 PM

Carlovfx said:
Crysis 1440x900
High Settings
Single GPU

Yes, and?
February 17, 2008 2:04:51 PM

I was writing and i had problems with the login...

12FPS btw... umbelievable!!!
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 2:05:54 PM

Carlovfx said:
I was writing and i had problems with the login...

12FPS btw... umbelievable!!!

Vista or XP?
February 17, 2008 2:09:28 PM

Vista 64 Home Premium
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 2:35:54 PM

Carlovfx said:
All the jumpers are setupped correctly on the Mobo, i'm going to cry :( 

Alright, thx.

12 fps, ouch!

a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 2:38:07 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Hmmm, all of which were already listed under 'poop' in my mental catalogue. :lol: 

yeah, I noticed I'm not really playing anything from that list myself. I do wonder why the forceware 169's don't report the sli mode correctly for other games though.
February 17, 2008 2:44:25 PM

Dont support forced AA properly either. Quite a few bugs.

Use the 17*.**'s
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 2:51:31 PM

Carlovfx said:
Vista 64 Home Premium

Then get hold of a copy of XP, by whatever means necessary and see if that cures your ills.
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 2:52:48 PM

Hatman said:
Dont support forced AA properly either. Quite a few bugs.

Use the 17*.**'s

:heink:  I hope that means something to someone.
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 2:54:13 PM

Yeah, what's up with that. It took me a few tries to get forced aa setup in the game profile. For example, It worked for me in Oblivion, but not on my first attempt. Makes benching the game a pain in the neck as you have to verify fsaa is working when you change settings. I go straight to a savegame where it's obvious and then proceed to the savegame. Once it works it seems to everytime. But getting the profile to accept it first time is buggy.

It seems there is a trick to getting it to work first time that has worked for me ever since. After making a fsaa change in the game profile, I force 16xaf in the global settings, apply it, and then set it back to application controlled defaults again right away. For some reason that step seems to make the profile now work in forcing fsaa on the first try.
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 2:54:50 PM

pauldh said:
yeah, I noticed I'm not really playing anything from that list myself. I do wonder why the forceware 169's don't report the sli mode correctly for other games though.

One of life's unknowns I'm afraid.
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 2:57:31 PM

Mousemonkey said:
:heink:  I hope that means something to someone.

Not on NV's site yet so I haven't tried them. But beta 171.16's are available here:
http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=6420

Hmm, in their forum they mention the 171.23 is now whql. Why is NV so slow to get them up on their site. let other sites/partners host it first to save bandwidth hits? I might have to grab the beta:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-171.23-XP-(32-bit)-download-1852.html
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 4:15:04 PM

pauldh said:
Not on NV's site yet so I haven't tried them. But beta 171.16's are available here:
http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=6420

Hmm, in their forum they mention the 171.23 is now whql. Why is NV so slow to get them up on their site. let other sites/partners host it first to save bandwidth hits? I might have to grab the beta:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-171.23-XP-(32-bit)-download-1852.html

Aaaah, I'm not a fan of beta's and as I don't have any problems with the 169.21's I'll let others play at being guinea pig's.
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2008 6:14:17 PM

I like running betas when they specifically address SLI like the 169.28 did.

I have been running the 171.23 drivers for a couple hours now. Crysis benchmarking gained 0.5 fps about at most settings but dropped .5 fps at 4x/16x. Tried 4x/16x again in a demanding level and it was still pretty choppy, probably out of vram at those settings. Overall seems the same to me.

I then moved onto Oblivion and the forced aa/af in game profiles seems to be working like a charm now with these drivers. Played about 45 minutes of Oblivion and had no problems. So unless I find any issues, they are keepers for me.
February 17, 2008 6:47:39 PM

In the end which is the only solutiuon to my problem? Installing XP??? XP32? I need a 64bit since i will need 8gb of ram minimum for my job.
February 17, 2008 10:25:40 PM

Ok,
I installed 171.16 from guru3d.com and now everything is working ok. On 3DMark06 i get 81fps average with 1920x1200 and 4x AA, it never goes under 29fps, that's what i mean when i say SLI. The Nvidia Adrianne demo is working really smoothly with 1920x1200. Only crysis is the same as before, impossible to activate AA or i'll get 20fps maximum with everything on high. Maybe some setting???
February 17, 2008 11:36:19 PM

FSX is running pretty good with the SLI setting, i have to understand if is better single-gpu or frame step rendering...
!