780i Northbridge Cooler

jcorqian

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
My EVGA 780i northbridge cooler sucks, it isn't very effective and is now the loudest and most annoying thing in my 6 fan Lian Li case. Any suggestions to replaces stock fan? Do I even need it mounted, does it help that much?

jcorqian

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Not talking about the heatsink... talking about the fan included with the mobo that goes on the heatsink...

Keep in mind the massive airflow in my case, which is very very large. I have four intake fans, two GPUs, a PSU, and a Scythe KuroKaze as exhaust fans. I am running Prime 95 right now and the temps I get are about the same.

Anyone, if anyone knows of a good northbridge cooling solution, please let me know.

dirtycaveman

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Here's the route I took and it seems to have been the solution, as I haven't had any problems...

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=213483&mpage=1&key=

You can also youtube "780i northbridge fan", and there are a couple vids of the same procedure for visual reference.

im_just_jokin

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
hey i also have 780i my nb heat sink gets to hot. almsot to hot to touch i think fan does help ( mines a little black one you have to slide down and click in) dont know if yours is same. dumb thing is it blows roght onto the back of 9800gtx chip. weird design.