Multiple_Complete_IRP_Requests Blue Screen

Eddy14

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hi, just recently I was browsing Youtube on my computer via Firefox when Trend Micro came up with a notification that alg.exe was attempting to modify something on my computer, I'm not sure what because it didn't say, but nevertheless I decided to let Trend Micro keep blocking it and clicked the X in the upper righthand corner to close the window. Right after, my computer blue screened with the error mentioned in the title with STOP:0x00000044. I did a system restore and Last Known Good Configuration, but neither worked. If I try to start up the computer in anything but Safe Mode I get the same blue screen. I read other articles on other sites from people with the same problem, and it appears to be driver based. However, I did not delete/modify/install any new drivers recently, so I am not sure what the problem is.

I do know that alg.exe can be a virus, but I don't know whether it was the legit alg.exe or not. Also, I am not sure whether this problem could be stemming from a virus I had gotten a long time ago called AV Security Suite. I had thought that GeekSquad had gotten rid of it but they did not delete the Registry Keys, which I finally did. So I am at a loss, as you can probably see I am not particularly knowledgeable regarding computers and don't want to risk fiddling around without some advice. Thanks for putting up with my stunted explanation and I hope someone can help. O_O

If you need more info, ask and I'll try to get it.

Solution
I suspect what has happened is that the virus has successfully deleted files from the anti virus, disabling it's ability to neutralize the virus.
Your best bet is to back up the personal files and reinstall the operating system.
One more alternative method is to take out the bad drive, install it as a second drive on a functional XP computer, use the functional computer to recover the files and scan the recovered files, use the functional computer to scan the bad drive.
Use the functional computer to update the malware bytes and trend. This works many times, but I could not guarantee that it would work every time.
click my computer
click control panel
click system
click hardware
click device manager
click disk drives
click disk drive...
Update the anti virus and do a scan of the entire system, in safe mode, with networking, if you can.
If the scan finds nothing, you may try downloading malware bytes, then update it, in safe mode with networking, as aford has recommended, and do another scan.
If both scans find nothing, and you are unable to do system restore, the next try is to do a repair install of XP using the XP installation disk. Look at Tom's XP forum, fifth post from the top, directions are written there.
And here is another example of an un authorized connection to the computer, and the installation of something that damaged the computer. You will want to use security that blocks all unauthorized incoming connections.

Eddy14

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Can't do safemode with networking because it bluescreens, but thankfully I had all ready installed Malwarebytes, so I'll scan with both. Thanks.

I'll be back with the results soon.

Eddy14

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Trend is set on auto update...I scanned with it and it found one virus affecting the drivers and cleaned it, but that didn't fix my problem. I am scanning now with malwarebytes, although its the free version, and lets hope that turns something up.

Eddy14

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Both Malwarebytes and Trend Micro caught and deleted some viruses, but none looked like the cause of my problem. I restarted after both scans and still encounter the same problem. In the event viewer my computer tells me that certain startup driver failed to work, but I am not sure how to disable them because some are not in Control panel>Administrative Tools>Services. At the blue error screen it also said something about disabling caching and shadowing in the BIOS...how would I do these things?

I suspect what has happened is that the virus has successfully deleted files from the anti virus, disabling it's ability to neutralize the virus.
Your best bet is to back up the personal files and reinstall the operating system.
One more alternative method is to take out the bad drive, install it as a second drive on a functional XP computer, use the functional computer to recover the files and scan the recovered files, use the functional computer to scan the bad drive.
Use the functional computer to update the malware bytes and trend. This works many times, but I could not guarantee that it would work every time.
click my computer
click control panel
click system
click hardware
click device manager
click disk drives
click disk drive name
click policies
un-check the box: enable write caching to disk
click OK
close windows and restart in safe mode

Hold down F2 during computer powerup and see if you can find the settings to disable caching and shadowing.

Hold down F8 during startup and see if there are any other system restore or repair options (on some computers you will find these, on others you will not)

But I am afraid that the virus has screwed up the system and disabled the anti virus ability so through that the only thing left to do is reformat the drive.

using a second functional computer to rescue your personal files (install bad drive as second drive) has worked pretty much every time. It's a lot of time and trouble, but at least you don't loose your files forever.

Solution

n
nIn this case there was a situation where we saw the virus probably delete files from the anti virus, and most probably from the operating system. This prevented the system from functioning, even after the anti virus was able to find the virus. This is becoming more common with new viruses.
n
nOne strategy being developed is to block incoming connections that are not authorized to load files into the system, another is to use mail providers that include even more layers of protection, to prevent infected mail from entering the system, to prevent infected mail and attachments from being opened.
n
nI strongly urge XP users to install Norton 360 or Panda Internet Security, two security systems that block unauthorized incoming connections.
nI also recommend using yahoo mail or G mail, which include additional layers of mail protection.