what format are the stations using for thier hd material

Just curious what the stations are using to play thier HD content?
Tape? DVD? I doubt it would be the same D-VHS were using
at home, or would it be? The question is when a cable or network
broadcasts something in HD what sort of machine or format are they
using to play it?
2 answers Last reply
More about what format stations thier material

    Nightwing wrote:
    > Just curious what the stations are using to play thier HD content?
    > Tape? DVD? I doubt it would be the same D-VHS were using
    > at home, or would it be? The question is when a cable or network
    > broadcasts something in HD what sort of machine or format are they
    > using to play it?
    Most local stations get all their HD from network satellite feeds. Very
    few originate any HD yet...but those that do have access to HD videotape
    machines, HD cameras and/or hard drive units that are way beyond
    anything available in the consumer market.

    Just about anything going to air on a delayed basis comes off a server
    these days. Not much real-time tape playback anymore.
    Many of the network programs come out in mezzanine compression that
    permits the local stations to insert commercials. Mezzanine allows a
    DTV signal to fit into 45 MHZ bandwidth rather than 1.2 gig.
    The PBS stations are using a signal encoded as 19.4 MHZ ATSC format at
    the source. It looks a lot sharper than its mezzanine cousin.

HDTV HD Format Home Theatre