Dual Gateway/DNS/Proxy

mckeder

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Ok, So i have been working on this project for quite some time now and I am a little lost. I currently have two different ISP's. I also have two different Proxy servers. This is for redundant backup reasons. I have them both set-up correctly and they both work correctly. I am trying to set up a Windows XP Pro machine to have information from BOTH of the Proxy machines (Gateway and DNS) so that if one goes down, it will switch to the other one. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help,
McKeder

SizroSpunkmire

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
As far as I know, the only thing you can have in regards to redundancy in XP is just DNS which can be set by manually assigning an IP address, subnet mask ad then default and alternate DNS servers.

I would suggest trying to setup a server side redundancy check; not a client side. In theory, the servers should be able to communicate with eachother and then hand off connections in the event one goes down.

If that doesn't work I'm assuming you could find a routing device of some sort that would sit between the XP box and the servers that would detect when one has gone down and route all incomming packets to the other server...

All theory mind you.