Where are these THINGS in my verson of WXP-Home? = Sharon

Here is another example why I cannot help myself with WXP-Home. My version
doesn't have so many thing the MS sites (or the techs here) talks about.
There is NO "Printers and Other Hardware" when I click on and open Control
Panel. What version of XP does the MS (and you techs) site talk about?
The Pro version or some brand new version of XP-Home I don't have? All I
have in Control Panel are "Printers and Faxes" and "scanners and cameras"...
No "Printers and Other Hardware."

I found no trouble shooting pages in the MS website for the camera and
scanner wizard.

Note
..To open Scanners and Cameras, click Start, click Control Panel, click
**Printers and Other Hardware**, and then click Scanners and Cameras.
..If you have a Plug and Play camera, Windows detects it and installs it
automatically.
..If your camera or scanner is not Plug and Play, follow the installation
instructions that came with the device
..If your camera or scanner is not listed in the Scanner and Camera
Installation Wizard, try to install it using Device Manager. For more
information, click Related Topics.
..After you install your scanner or camera, you can test it. For more
information, click Related Topics.

** It is installed but I can't test it because when I click on the camera
and properties it says "no information avalible."

Can you somehow find the "camera/scanner wizard" trouble shooting page/s at
the MS site? Maybe I'm not searching right..... :*(

FS.........
26
answers
Last reply
More about where things verson home sharon

    Control Panel has 2 different views. You have the Windows XP view and you
    have the Classic View. What you see is different between the 2 views.

    Example:

    On my main computer I have 38 items when using the classic view. If I use
    the Windows XP view, these 38 items are contained within 10 choices. The 10
    choices are named differently, in trying to indicate what may be within that
    particular choice. Each of the 10 choices is a repository for the various
    items (out of the 38) that are contained within.

    Experiment a bit and get to know your system. There are many choices and
    customizations available that allow you to make the system behave the way
    YOU would like it to behave. You don't have to live with the defaults,
    although I would expect that 75% of all users do just this.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Control Panel has 2 different views. You have the Windows XP view and you
    > have the Classic View. What you see is different between the 2 views.
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > On my main computer I have 38 items when using the classic view. If I use
    > the Windows XP view, these 38 items are contained within 10 choices. The
    > 10 choices are named differently, in trying to indicate what may be within
    > that particular choice. Each of the 10 choices is a repository for the
    > various items (out of the 38) that are contained within.

    $$ Yes, I just learned that. :-)

    > Experiment a bit and get to know your system. There are many choices and
    > customizations available that allow you to make the system behave the way
    > YOU would like it to behave. You don't have to live with the defaults,
    > although I would expect that 75% of all users do just this.

    $$ I prefer the classic view since that's what I'm familiar with. Any idea
    how I can get the wizard to work again?

    FS.........

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Here is another example why I cannot help myself with WXP-Home. My
    >> version doesn't have so many thing the MS sites (or the techs here) talks
    >> about. There is NO "Printers and Other Hardware" when I click on and open
    >> Control Panel. What version of XP does the MS (and you techs) site talk
    >> about? The Pro version or some brand new version of XP-Home I don't have?
    >> All I have in Control Panel are "Printers and Faxes" and "scanners and
    >> cameras"... No "Printers and Other Hardware."
    >>
    >> I found no trouble shooting pages in the MS website for the camera and
    >> scanner wizard.
    >>
    >> Note
    >> .To open Scanners and Cameras, click Start, click Control Panel, click
    >> **Printers and Other Hardware**, and then click Scanners and Cameras.
    >> .If you have a Plug and Play camera, Windows detects it and installs it
    >> automatically.
    >> .If your camera or scanner is not Plug and Play, follow the installation
    >> instructions that came with the device
    >> .If your camera or scanner is not listed in the Scanner and Camera
    >> Installation Wizard, try to install it using Device Manager. For more
    >> information, click Related Topics.
    >> .After you install your scanner or camera, you can test it. For more
    >> information, click Related Topics.
    >>
    >> ** It is installed but I can't test it because when I click on the camera
    >> and properties it says "no information avalible."
    >>
    >> Can you somehow find the "camera/scanner wizard" trouble shooting page/s
    >> at the MS site? Maybe I'm not searching right..... :*(
    >>
    >> FS.........

    There is'nt a 'Printers and other Hardware' option in the control panel

    If your camera isnt recognised, did you install the software supplied with
    your camera and follow *explicitly* the instructions for installing,
    supplied by Camera bumph?
    Have you checked the Camera manu.web site for any updated software/drivers
    for winxp?

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > Here is another example why I cannot help myself with WXP-Home. My
    version
    > doesn't have so many thing the MS sites (or the techs here) talks about.
    > There is NO "Printers and Other Hardware" when I click on and open Control
    > Panel. What version of XP does the MS (and you techs) site talk about?
    > The Pro version or some brand new version of XP-Home I don't have? All I
    > have in Control Panel are "Printers and Faxes" and "scanners and
    cameras"...
    > No "Printers and Other Hardware."
    >
    > I found no trouble shooting pages in the MS website for the camera and
    > scanner wizard.
    >
    > Note
    > .To open Scanners and Cameras, click Start, click Control Panel, click
    > **Printers and Other Hardware**, and then click Scanners and Cameras.
    > .If you have a Plug and Play camera, Windows detects it and installs it
    > automatically.
    > .If your camera or scanner is not Plug and Play, follow the installation
    > instructions that came with the device
    > .If your camera or scanner is not listed in the Scanner and Camera
    > Installation Wizard, try to install it using Device Manager. For more
    > information, click Related Topics.
    > .After you install your scanner or camera, you can test it. For more
    > information, click Related Topics.
    >
    > ** It is installed but I can't test it because when I click on the camera
    > and properties it says "no information avalible."
    >
    > Can you somehow find the "camera/scanner wizard" trouble shooting page/s
    at
    > the MS site? Maybe I'm not searching right..... :*(
    >
    > FS.........

    Strange, DL, I have always had it in my control panel.

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > There is'nt a 'Printers and other Hardware' option in the control panel
    >
    > If your camera isnt recognised, did you install the software supplied with
    > your camera and follow *explicitly* the instructions for installing,
    > supplied by Camera bumph?
    > Have you checked the Camera manu.web site for any updated software/drivers
    > for winxp?
    >
    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Here is another example why I cannot help myself with WXP-Home. My
    > version
    >> doesn't have so many thing the MS sites (or the techs here) talks about.
    >> There is NO "Printers and Other Hardware" when I click on and open
    >> Control
    >> Panel. What version of XP does the MS (and you techs) site talk about?
    >> The Pro version or some brand new version of XP-Home I don't have? All I
    >> have in Control Panel are "Printers and Faxes" and "scanners and
    > cameras"...
    >> No "Printers and Other Hardware."
    >>
    >> I found no trouble shooting pages in the MS website for the camera and
    >> scanner wizard.
    >>
    >> Note
    >> .To open Scanners and Cameras, click Start, click Control Panel, click
    >> **Printers and Other Hardware**, and then click Scanners and Cameras.
    >> .If you have a Plug and Play camera, Windows detects it and installs it
    >> automatically.
    >> .If your camera or scanner is not Plug and Play, follow the installation
    >> instructions that came with the device
    >> .If your camera or scanner is not listed in the Scanner and Camera
    >> Installation Wizard, try to install it using Device Manager. For more
    >> information, click Related Topics.
    >> .After you install your scanner or camera, you can test it. For more
    >> information, click Related Topics.
    >>
    >> ** It is installed but I can't test it because when I click on the camera
    >> and properties it says "no information avalible."
    >>
    >> Can you somehow find the "camera/scanner wizard" trouble shooting page/s
    > at
    >> the MS site? Maybe I'm not searching right..... :*(
    >>
    >> FS.........

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > There is'nt a 'Printers and other Hardware' option in the control panel
    >
    > If your camera isnt recognised, did you install the software supplied with
    > your camera and follow *explicitly* the instructions for installing,
    > supplied by Camera bumph?

    ## Yes, even though I've been using this camera for 2 years now without a
    problem. I even reinstalled it but the WIZARD still doesn't come up. Add &
    Remove Programs wont allow me to *uninstall* it to reinstall it which is
    what I would have preferred to do.

    > Have you checked the Camera manu.web site for any updated software/drivers
    > for winxp?

    ## Yes. How do I get the wizard to come up when I install anything into
    the flash drive? The camera drivers don't do that, it's not their job.

    FS.................

    "nor" <wnor@comcast.irc> wrote in message
    > Strange, DL, I have always had it in my control panel.

    So do I if I do as she said. I have my PC set to Classic view because I
    don't like the new XP interface. When you read instructions they don't give
    them for Classic-View evidently.

    FS...........

    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> There is'nt a 'Printers and other Hardware' option in the control panel
    >>
    >> If your camera isnt recognised, did you install the software supplied
    >> with
    >> your camera and follow *explicitly* the instructions for installing,
    >> supplied by Camera bumph?
    >> Have you checked the Camera manu.web site for any updated
    >> software/drivers
    >> for winxp?
    >>
    >> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Here is another example why I cannot help myself with WXP-Home. My
    >> version
    >>> doesn't have so many thing the MS sites (or the techs here) talks about.
    >>> There is NO "Printers and Other Hardware" when I click on and open
    >>> Control
    >>> Panel. What version of XP does the MS (and you techs) site talk about?
    >>> The Pro version or some brand new version of XP-Home I don't have? All
    >>> have in Control Panel are "Printers and Faxes" and "scanners and
    >> cameras"...
    >>> No "Printers and Other Hardware."
    >>>
    >>> I found no trouble shooting pages in the MS website for the camera and
    >>> scanner wizard.
    >>>
    >>> Note
    >>> .To open Scanners and Cameras, click Start, click Control Panel, click
    >>> **Printers and Other Hardware**, and then click Scanners and Cameras.
    >>> .If you have a Plug and Play camera, Windows detects it and installs it
    >>> automatically.
    >>> .If your camera or scanner is not Plug and Play, follow the installation
    >>> instructions that came with the device
    >>> .If your camera or scanner is not listed in the Scanner and Camera
    >>> Installation Wizard, try to install it using Device Manager. For more
    >>> information, click Related Topics.
    >>> .After you install your scanner or camera, you can test it. For more
    >>> information, click Related Topics.
    >>>
    >>> ** It is installed but I can't test it because when I click on the
    >>> camera
    >>> and properties it says "no information avalible."
    >>>
    >>> Can you somehow find the "camera/scanner wizard" trouble shooting page/s
    >> at
    >>> the MS site? Maybe I'm not searching right..... :*(
    >>>
    >>> FS.........

    It depends on if you have the "View" of the Control Panel window set either
    as "Category" (the new XP GUI view) or "Classic" (Windows 9x) view.

    In Control Panel, on the left hand side near the top it has those drop-down
    box/menu things the first one has
    "Switch to....View". Just swap between the views until you see the icon
    you're asking about.

    If this doesn't solve the problem, it may be something else that needs to be
    done, but I'm all out of suggestions other than the above.

    I don't know how else you've customised your system....eg using "Classic"
    theme or "XP" theme etc - this completely changes the way the GUI looks and
    feels, and the theme you use also determines what shows in windows such as
    the Control Panel.

    It sounds like the tech guys you're speaking with have their machines on
    "Classic" theme/view.

    "Andrew Murray" <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > It depends on if you have the "View" of the Control Panel window set
    > either as "Category" (the new XP GUI view) or "Classic" (Windows 9x) view.

    ** I would think most average users wouldn't even know about that.

    > In Control Panel, on the left hand side near the top it has those
    > drop-down box/menu things the first one has
    > "Switch to....View". Just swap between the views until you see the icon
    > you're asking about.

    ** OK. I found it there.

    > If this doesn't solve the problem, it may be something else that needs to
    > be done, but I'm all out of suggestions other than the above.

    ** I can assume then that the techs and MS site is using the new GUI and
    thinks people would know.

    > I don't know how else you've customised your system....eg using "Classic"
    > theme or "XP" theme etc - this completely changes the way the GUI looks
    > and feels, and the theme you use also determines what shows in windows
    > such as the Control Panel.

    ** OK. I understand that. Thanks.

    > It sounds like the tech guys you're speaking with have their machines on
    > "Classic" theme/view.

    ** That's what mine is set to - they're using the new view evidently.

    FS..........

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:28:03 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > ## Yes. How do I get the wizard to come up when I install anything into
    > the flash drive? The camera drivers don't do that, it's not their job.

    Just to clarify: The drivers and camera have to identify themselves to the
    WIA services (the underpinnings for the scanner/camera wizard). If camera
    is compatible with the wizard and if the camera's WIA drivers have been
    installed then the wizard is available to use. So the drivers don't run the
    wizard but without them the wizard won't ever show up.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:28:03 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >
    >> ## Yes. How do I get the wizard to come up when I install anything
    >> into
    >> the flash drive? The camera drivers don't do that, it's not their job.
    >
    > Just to clarify: The drivers and camera have to identify themselves to the
    > WIA services (the underpinnings for the scanner/camera wizard). If camera
    > is compatible with the wizard and if the camera's WIA drivers have been
    > installed then the wizard is available to use.

    ## What does WIA mean? It's been working for 2 years as I said. The
    camera's drivers are there! Why isn't the Wizard coming up?

    So the drivers don't run the
    > wizard but without them the wizard won't ever show up.

    ## I installed all the camera's software several times, and the wizard
    still doesn't come up.

    FS~

    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    FS,

    Simply put - your profile setup is still messed up - how about this:

    Create yourself a new administrative level user and start using it - I think
    a lot of things that are "wrong" for you will fade away.
    Yes - I know you are the only user - you still will be, you will just have
    two different logons available in Windows XP - there's still only one you -
    nothing confusing about that. You could even name the user "FREESPIRIT" if
    you like.

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

    I think this may solve so many of your problems...

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:11:41 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > ## What does WIA mean? It's been working for 2 years as I said. The
    > camera's drivers are there! Why isn't the Wizard coming up?

    WIA was introduced... I think in Win98. It stands for "Windows Image
    Acquisition." Until WIA appeared, image devices supplied their own TWAIN
    drivers (joke: technology without an interesting name).

    SP2 is a major update/upgrade to the operating system. Service Packs are
    usually notable but SP2 for XP was especially so. While some hardware might
    stop working after a minor change, the chances for something to "break"
    with a major update are larger.

    When hardware suddenly doesn't work after a system change, it's common
    practice to reinstall the hardware (and possibly drivers and related
    software) so that the device can be "reintroduced" to the rest of the
    now-changed-due-to-large-update infrastructure. It's also not unusual to
    find new "updated" (or fixed) drivers from the device manufacturers after a
    major operating system change is distributed.

    There's one fact that is constant about technology - it's always changing.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > FS,
    >
    > Simply put - your profile setup is still messed up - how about this:
    >
    > Create yourself a new administrative level user and start using it - I
    > think a lot of things that are "wrong" for you will fade away.
    > Yes - I know you are the only user - you still will be, you will just have
    > two different logons available in Windows XP - there's still only one
    > you - nothing confusing about that. You could even name the user
    > "FREESPIRIT" if you like.
    >
    > HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783
    >
    > I think this may solve so many of your problems...
    ====================
    OK I created it - now how do I find it? It's not showing under WE. Where
    did it go????

    FS ~

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >> HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783
    >>
    >> I think this may solve so many of your problems...
    > ====================
    > OK I created it - now how do I find it? It's not showing under WE. Where
    > did it go????

    Did you log in as the new user?
    Nothing is really created until you do this.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Did you log in as the new user?
    > Nothing is really created until you do this.

    More Details:

    First - create your new user:
    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

    Make it an "Administrative User".
    Log in as the user at least ONCE to allow the creation of the files/folders
    for the user - before you log in - you have only created the "idea" of the
    user - the building of the profile in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME
    does not happen until you log in.

    Now - reboot.

    Log in as the new user.

    Take ownership of all of the files/folders under c:\documents and
    settings\OLDUSERNAME:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
    on a shared folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

    Once you have taken ownership of the files/folders, you should be able to
    browse them. I would copy files from the OLDUSERNAME user to the new user
    folders.. But not from any of these directories or their sub directories:

    Application Data
    Cookies
    Desktop
    Favorites
    Local Settings
    NetHood
    PrintHood
    Recent
    SendTo
    Templates
    UserData
    WINDOWS

    And not ANY NTUSER.* file(s).

    Reboot again - log in as the "new" user.

    Now you should have much of your old desktop (albeit laid-out differently)
    and start menu (also possibly laid-out differently) and your favorites in
    Internet Explorer, etc.. Many settings you may have had set in
    Word/Excel/Etc may have to be redone - but this user should be setup
    correctly unless your machine is really toasted and the Default User profile
    was corrupted at some time.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    <Snip>
    > Once you have taken ownership of the files/folders, you should be
    > able to browse them. I would copy files from the OLDUSERNAME user to
    > the new user folders.. But not from any of these directories or
    > their sub directories:
    > Application Data
    > Cookies
    > Desktop
    > Favorites
    > Local Settings
    > NetHood
    > PrintHood
    > Recent
    > SendTo
    > Templates
    > UserData
    > WINDOWS
    >
    > And not ANY NTUSER.* file(s).

    Whoops..
    It's okay to copy from "Favorites".
    Sorry. =)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >>> HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783
    >>>
    >>> I think this may solve so many of your problems...
    >> ====================
    >> OK I created it - now how do I find it? It's not showing under WE. Where
    >> did it go????
    >
    > Did you log in as the new user?
    > Nothing is really created until you do this.
    =======================
    How do I log in as the new user when there is no log-in on this PC? It
    boots and is ready to go, no log-in windows.

    FS~

    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >> HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783
    >>
    >> I think this may solve so many of your problems...
    >> ====================
    >> OK I created it - now how do I find it? It's not showing under WE.
    >> Where did it go????
    >
    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >> Did you log in as the new user?
    >> Nothing is really created until you do this.
    >
    > More Details:
    >
    > First - create your new user:
    > HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

    ## OK I did that. I made another Administrator account called FreeSpirit
    Administrator.

    > Make it an "Administrative User".

    ## I think I did. I picked Administrator.

    > Log in as the user at least ONCE to allow the creation of the files/folder
    > for the user - before you log in - you have only created the "idea" of the
    > user - the building of the profile in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME
    > does not happen until you log in.

    ## How do I "log in" to it?

    > Now - reboot.

    > Log in as the new user.

    ## I will when I find out how to log-in to this PC. No log-in window ever
    comes up. Where is the log-in window or how do I make it come up?

    FS~

    > Take ownership of all of the files/folders under c:\documents and
    > settings\OLDUSERNAME:
    > HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
    >
    > How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
    > on a shared folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874
    >
    > Once you have taken ownership of the files/folders, you should be able to
    > browse them. I would copy files from the OLDUSERNAME user to the new user
    > folders.. But not from any of these directories or their sub directories:
    >
    > Application Data
    > Cookies
    > Desktop
    > Favorites
    > Local Settings
    > NetHood
    > PrintHood
    > Recent
    > SendTo
    > Templates
    > UserData
    > WINDOWS
    >
    > And not ANY NTUSER.* file(s).
    >
    > Reboot again - log in as the "new" user.
    >
    > Now you should have much of your old desktop (albeit laid-out differently)
    > and start menu (also possibly laid-out differently) and your favorites in
    > Internet Explorer, etc.. Many settings you may have had set in
    > Word/Excel/Etc may have to be redone - but this user should be setup
    > correctly unless your machine is really toasted and the Default User
    > profile was corrupted at some time.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > ## I will when I find out how to log-in to this PC. No log-in window
    > ever comes up. Where is the log-in window or how do I make it come up?

    If you cannot figure out how to log off wither through the CTRL+ALT+DEL
    method, the "Log Off" button that may be on your start menu.. And the
    Control Panel --> User Accounts --> Change the way users log on/off fix
    doesn't work for you...

    Then you can try this:

    Start button --> RUN

    control userpasswords2

    OK.
    Check the box next to "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer".

    Reboot.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > If you cannot figure out how to log off wither through the
    > CTRL+ALT+DEL method, the "Log Off" button that may be on your start
    > menu.. And the Control Panel --> User Accounts --> Change the way
    > users log on/off fix doesn't work for you...
    >
    > Then you can try this:
    >
    > Start button --> RUN
    >
    > control userpasswords2
    >
    > OK.
    > Check the box next to "Users must enter a user name and password to
    > use this computer".
    >
    > Reboot.

    One other method..

    START button --> RUN

    shutdown -l -f

    OK.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    When I clicked *LOG OFF* my computer hesitated, gave me an error: "The
    System has recovered from a SERIOUS error. Please tell MS...... and sent me
    to their website but no help or information was available there for this
    error.

    Also, the new account I created that was suppose to become reality after a
    reboot - never did. No FreeSpirit Admin choice was available and it still
    doesn't show in WE. So I cannot safely log off as "Owner Admin" using
    Log-Off.... any other ideas?

    FS~

    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >>> ## I will when I find out how to log-in to this PC. No log-in window
    >>> ever comes up. Where is the log-in window or how do I make it come
    >>> up?
    >
    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >> If you cannot figure out how to log off wither through the
    >> CTRL+ALT+DEL method, the "Log Off" button that may be on your start
    >> menu.. And the Control Panel --> User Accounts --> Change the way
    >> users log on/off fix doesn't work for you...
    >>
    >> Then you can try this:
    >>
    >> Start button --> RUN
    >>
    >> control userpasswords2
    >>
    >> OK.
    >> Check the box next to "Users must enter a user name and password to
    >> use this computer".
    >>
    >> Reboot.
    >
    > One other method..
    >
    > START button --> RUN
    >
    > shutdown -l -f
    >
    > OK.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > When I clicked *LOG OFF* my computer hesitated, gave me an error: "The
    > System has recovered from a SERIOUS error. Please tell MS...... and
    > sent me to their website but no help or information was available
    > there for this error.
    >
    > Also, the new account I created that was suppose to become reality
    > after a reboot - never did. No FreeSpirit Admin choice was available
    > and it still doesn't show in WE. So I cannot safely log off as
    > "Owner Admin" using Log-Off.... any other ideas?

    The account does not become "reality" until you actually log into it - not
    reboot the computer.
    As for more ideas - no - your computer seems pretty FUBAR to me. heh
    Camera issues.. SendTo not existing.. Inability to create/use a secondary
    account..
    Yeah - pretty fubar.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:11:41 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > ## What does WIA mean? It's been working for 2 years as I said. The
    > camera's drivers are there! Why isn't the Wizard coming up?

    I came across some info that may be useful to you. If you have real player
    installed, try disabling the real player update scheduler in MSCONFIG.
    Restart and try the camera again.

    To do this:
    Click Start, Click Run
    Type
    MSCONFIG
    in the text box and click OK.
    Microsoft System Configuration tool will open. Look for the real player
    scheduler on the Startup page. Uncheck its box if found. Click OK and
    restart the computer as prompted.

    You'll get a message about selective startup when you first log on. This is
    expected so check the "do not tell me again" box at the bottom of the
    notice and click OK.

    Try camera to test if wizard appears or not.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 00:17:23 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > ## It's not showing in msconfig. :-) Only in the registry. Can something
    > be turned off in SystemConfig/Services? I wouldn't know which was the
    > scanner & camera wizard there.

    No, remants in the registry would not cause this problem. It's the actual
    presence of the Real's updater in Windows startup that has caused this
    problem for some folks.

    > ## I updated all kinds of things last night from the HP website. Now when
    > I install the flash-card the wizard comes up and asks what I want it to do -
    > I click on what I want (copy pictures to folder on my PC using MS scanner
    > and camera wizard)and then the wizard closes - NOTHING!!!! :*( If I
    > select anything else it works, such as showing the pics in a Window. Print
    > the pics. But the camera and scanner wizard doesn't work.

    Sounds like something changed in a positive direction with those updates.
    The results are close but still not right. You could try re-registering the
    shimgvw.dll file:

    Click Start, then click Run. Type
    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    and click OK. May need to restart before you see any changes.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 00:17:23 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >
    >> ## It's not showing in msconfig. :-) Only in the registry. Can
    >> something
    >> be turned off in SystemConfig/Services? I wouldn't know which was the
    >> scanner & camera wizard there.
    >
    > No, remants in the registry would not cause this problem. It's the actual
    > presence of the Real's updater in Windows startup that has caused this
    > problem for some folks.
    >
    >> ## I updated all kinds of things last night from the HP website. Now
    >> when
    >> I install the flash-card the wizard comes up and asks what I want it to
    >> do -
    >> I click on what I want (copy pictures to folder on my PC using MS scanner
    >> and camera wizard)and then the wizard closes - NOTHING!!!! :*( If I
    >> select anything else it works, such as showing the pics in a Window.
    >> Print
    >> the pics. But the camera and scanner wizard doesn't work.
    >
    > Sounds like something changed in a positive direction with those updates.
    > The results are close but still not right. You could try re-registering
    > the
    > shimgvw.dll file:
    >
    > Click Start, then click Run. Type
    > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    > and click OK. May need to restart before you see any changes.

    ** OK, done. I'll reboot and see if that helped.

    FS~

    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 00:17:23 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> ## It's not showing in msconfig. :-) Only in the registry. Can
    >>> something
    >>> be turned off in SystemConfig/Services? I wouldn't know which was the
    >>> scanner & camera wizard there.
    >>
    >> No, remants in the registry would not cause this problem. It's the actual
    >> presence of the Real's updater in Windows startup that has caused this
    >> problem for some folks.
    >>
    >>> ## I updated all kinds of things last night from the HP website. Now
    >>> when
    >>> I install the flash-card the wizard comes up and asks what I want it to
    >>> do -
    >>> I click on what I want (copy pictures to folder on my PC using MS
    >>> scanner
    >>> and camera wizard)and then the wizard closes - NOTHING!!!! :*( If I
    >>> select anything else it works, such as showing the pics in a Window.
    >>> Print
    >>> the pics. But the camera and scanner wizard doesn't work.
    >>
    >> Sounds like something changed in a positive direction with those updates.
    >> The results are close but still not right. You could try re-registering
    >> the
    >> shimgvw.dll file:
    >>
    >> Click Start, then click Run. Type
    >> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    >> and click OK. May need to restart before you see any changes.
    >
    > ** OK, done. I'll reboot and see if that helped.

    ## It made no difference whatsoever. :*( Thanks for trying to help.

    FS~

    \>> --
    >> Sharon F
    >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User