dsgreen30

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
All,

I am not at all happy with the temps on my new system, and wanted to get some feedback.
Here are my temps (per SpeedFan) at idle:
CPU: 48C
Core1: 59C
Core2: 59C
Core3: 51C
Core4: 51C

At load these all go up about 10C, but never breach the 70C mark.

I am concerned at the idle temps most of all. Could it be airflow in my case (Cosmos 1000)? I am running a Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler with ArticSilver 5 thermal paste (which I re-did once already because I wanted to be sure of the application).

I do see a 7C+ drop in temps when I take off the side of the case, and am considering ordering some better fans (I am using the Coolermaster fans that came with the case now. 2 on top, 1 back, 1 bottom - 120mm).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Have you checked the how hot the Heatsink is, when the CPU is under load.
It should be warm when you touch it, indicating that is acting as the heat dissipater it should be.
I would imagine the temps should be a bit lower than that with an aftermarket HSF.
I would imagine the stock HSF would have lower temps than that!

That's a pretty good indication that you are not getting enough air thru the case.

You will note that many "custom build" sites rate their case choices by PSU size. Looking at these you will rarely see a case choice rated for more than a 450 W PSU. I wondered why the case manufacturers themselves didn't do this but the answer is obvious. Whomever started would lose a lot of sales.

My youngest son's box hits 70 under load in the summer time. It's in a Antec Lanboy case w/ all fan mounts having fans and a Zalman copper cooler and we take the cover off in the summer and turn on a Vornado sitting next to it ....problem solved :)

http://www.vornado.com/products/circulators/500.htm

sailer

Splendid
The Zalman 9700 was designed with dual core CPUs in mind, not quad core. By their very nature, quad cores run hotter and need better heatsinks. One of the tower types would be a better choice for the QX9650, be it from Thermaltake, Thermalright, Tuniq or other. Quad core CPUs will run hotter at idle and load than a dual core, so they have to be cooled better as well. This becomes especially true when overclocking, and since you bought a QX9650 CPU, I would guess that you're interested in overclocking it.

Checkout some of the heatsink reviews from Anandtech, paying attention to the rankings of heatsinks in performance and noise. You'll find the Zalman 9700 ranks in the middle to lower half. Its not a bad heatsink, it just isn't as good as the tower types.

dsgreen30

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Thanks for all the help so far.

I can't really buy a new case, I just bought and build this new rig 2 days ago. However, I can get (and have ordered) better case fans. Sounds like I need to replace the Zalman as well. Anyone have any good quad core cpu cooler recommendations? In the meantime I'll go peek at AnandTech.com.

Thats strange considering I use a Zalman CPNS9700 on my Q6600 and I have it OC'ed to 3GHz and it still runs at idle temps of about 30c-34c and Prime95 load temps of about 50c-53c.

I would check the voltages and make sure they are not too high and if needed reseat the HSF. It seems weird that they are that high to me.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
That Zalman is a fine cooler that doesn't need to be replaced. And idle temps are nothing to worry about since your CPU won't die idling. It's the load temps that you'll want to be more sure of.

Touch the heatsink to see if the thermal sensors are properly calibrated. They may just be reporting incorrectly; Penryns should have very low idle power consumption. When in doubt, just touch the heatsink. :)

eltoro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you try monitoring the temperature with another tool besides SpeedFan, like CoreTemp?
In any case, make sure you use CoreTemp's latest version (v0.96.1).

sailer

Splendid

Lest there be misunderstanding, I should say that the Zalman 9700 is a good cooler, but its just not up to the task for high overclocks. You have your Q6600 clocked to 3 ghz, which is a fair overclock, yet I was thinking of higher overclocks, in the 3.4-3.7 ghz range. A QX9650 should be well capabile of such overclocks. At higher overclocks, a Zalman 9700 will run about 5 to 8 degrees hotter than a Tuniq Tower or Thermalrite Ultra 120 or Thermalrite Ultima 90. Some fairly decent comparitive charts are found at Anandtech under the review for a Thermalrite Ultima 90.

I've used the Zalman myself, at speeds topping about 3.1ghz, but after that, the temps started to climb rapidly. I guess part of the answer as to whether or not a Zalman 9700 is a good cooler depends on how high an overclock is desired. A further consideration, if a person is shopping for a cooler is that there are better coolers which cost less. In the case of the OP, as he already has a 9700, then it would be an added cost to buy a better one.

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
The Qx9650 is a 45nm cpu, so it should generate less heat than 65nm Q6600. I agree with JackNaylorpe. you need good air flow, and you can try reinstall cpu heatsink.

dsgreen30

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Ok, I've been busy since my last post. I headed out an got myself the highly rated Coolermaster Hyper 212 CPU Cooler, which is designed for Quad Core Extreme chips. I've got that bad boy all hooked up, and the results are promising....yet strange at the same time. The first two cores are about 8C higher than the others.

Idle:
CPU: 39C
Core1: 51C
Core2: 52C
Core3: 43C
Core4: 44C

100% Load all 4 cores (doesnt go up too far and they stay stable at these temps, never going any higher):
CPU: 57C
Core1: 64C
Core2: 64C
Core3: 56C
Core4: 59C

Of course, ArcticSilver 5 supposedly takes 200 hours to "set", and supposedly temps will drop 2C - 5C.

I still plan to replace 3 of the fans with higher flow fans, to get more cool air in and hot air out.

Thoughts?

sailer

Splendid
That Coolermaster 212 is supposed to be good. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen a reference to the clockspeed you are presently running. You are running hotter than what Anandtech recorded, but your case may be the cause for the difference. Perhaps a larger part of your problem does relate to insufficient fans and air movement in the case. Can't say for sure at this point. At the same time, your post CPU temp dropped from 48c to 39c at idle, so that is good progress. With the CPU temp at 39c and the core temps reading from a high of 51c to a low of 44c, I'm wondering if the core 1-4 temps are recording something other than the individual CPU cores, as it is not logical for CPU core temps to be so high while the CPU itself is so much lower.

Looking back to your original post, your CPU temps dropped 7c with the case side off, which does present an air circulation problem. Is it possible for you to install a fan in the case side? That might be the best solution at this point. As an aside, your loaded temp of 57c is not too hot, though I myself would prefer it closer to 50c, which seems to be possible with the case side off or having a fan in it for better ventilation.

dsgreen30

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I am running the stock clock speed right now (3.0GHz). No plans to overclock at this point.

And yes the temps still drop off a good 7c+ when I take the case side off. No I can't install a fan in the side of the case, but I have 3 new Scythe S-Flex - Medium Speed (SFF21E) 120mm Fans on order, and those should really help improve airflow through the case (I hope). I just don't think the stock Coolermaster fans that came with the case are cutting it. I just don't feel them putting out much air flow.