Antec III - Will I need another 120mm?

pumpkinpie

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Hi, just wondering if I will need to use the optional 120mm fan in my Antec Sonata III for this setup:

e8400
GA-P35-DS3L
8800GT 512
OCZ 2x2gb ddr2 800
WD 500gb
SBlaster XtremeGamer

I will not be overclocking anything... so will I need to use another 120mm fan for this?

you should not need it, but it helps when you cram more hard drives in it...just keep an eye on the temps...

Also it would be extremely close to the video card if you added a fan....my X1900 card power touched that fan motor....but it worked.

If you find your hard drive is too hot(lets say 45 ish) then add it....same goes for your video card....it should help cool it a bit

you should also get some way to get more heat out of the case, since the 8800GT 512 dumps heat in the case. maybe the pci slot blower(with a slot between it and the card) or something similar is a good idea....

You could always add a fan later. They are about$15.
You could always add a sound card later also. Onboard sound is pretty good; try it first.

Your 8800GT card will cost about $200.
For about $250 you can get a 8800GTS-512-G92. Not only is it a stronger card, but it has a superior cooler that exhausts the vga heat out the back of the case.

I have a yate loon low speed in both my Sonata(both front and back) and Sonata II(back only from antec pro 120 @ auto....so slow.)

Best 99cent fan ever :)

I would have to second the gts 512....the cooling is FAR better for a low flow case(it will only be quiet with the fans on low....med and high get louder and super loud...)

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

And hence possibly reduce the need for another case fan. (Perhaps paifully obvious.)

pumpkinpie

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Those are great prices, but from where I order in Canada (NCIX), the 8800gt are about 250$ and the GTS's are at least 350$+tax/shipping, plus I was already on a budget

Thanks for the tips nukemaster

can you handle a rebate?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27246&vpn=88ZFF6HUFEXX&manufacture=Galaxy%20Technology&promoid=1055

I year warranty sucks, but its the cheapest one....

IMPORTANT....

Keep a copy of ALL the stuff you mail in.....trust me.....one place so far has denied 2 rebates with BS reasons and without my copied i would have been screwed...

that said...anything on rebatestatus.com(i have not had any from here WorldwideRebates.com) make sure you keep a copy....cause those bastards make **** up...like you did not include an address and it was before the rebate date when it was dead center of the promo...