RAM help

cowboi123

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
I bought 8gb worth of ram (2gbx4) for my new computer, but when i place all the rams into the slots, a beep sound is kept on playing and the computer is not booting. I took all of them off and tried placing each stick one by one, and finally i found that one stick was causing the computer not to boot. What is wrong with that paticular stick and how can i fix it???

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
If all the other sticks booted under the same settings and one did not, you have a bad stick of ram there buddy. Again, this is assuming they were all placed in the same dimm, and same bios settings.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
the only way is to RMA a defective ram.

but you can try put in 2 sticks first then go into the BIOS and increase the voltage to 2.1V then turn system off.put the other 2 sticks in then try turn on.because sometime 4 sticks of ram the mobo doesnt supply enough voltage to them making them fail to boot.

Mondoman

Splendid
Before you go cranking up your RAM voltage and possibly frying your other DIMMs, figure out what exactly their spec voltage is. If it's not printed on the module, the manufacturer should be able to tell you. Then, set the DIMM voltage to that value in the BIOS and save your settings.

G

Don't risk your RMA (don't violate the warranty) ......
Set Default or the Recommended settings...-CALL Manufacturer or check the web-site

cowboi123

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
ok, i found out that all the rams work, just to clarify every ram sticks work. But still, when i place all the four rams into the slots, the computer wont boot (fans works, screen displays nothing), but with three sticks, it boots. I am kind of a newbie to this so could you guys explain how can i fix this? Thanks!

cowboi123

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
iluvgillgi ll, i tried the 2.1v, but still the same problems. Thanks anyway.
My motherboard; asus p5n-d motherboard
My ram: Kingston (value ram) KVR800D2N5/2G (four of them)

Mondoman

Splendid

Sorry, but you're wrong here. Among others, there are plenty of DIMMs out there now that use RAM chips with built-in voltage regulation circuitry. For those, boosting the voltage just fries the voltage regulators (and thus the DIMMs).

Mondoman

Splendid

This is a well-known issue. Filling all 4 DIMM slots at once is pushing the limits of current DDR2 memory technology, since the control signals get split among all the DIMMs installed. Thus, the more DIMMs installed, the more diluted the signals. Go back to the recommended voltage for your DIMMs; the setting to fiddle with here is the memory controller voltage (often listed as "MCH"). Try increasing it by 0.05V or 0.1V if that doesn't work. If that doesn't work, you may have to switch to a different brand/model of DIMMs.

cowboi123

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
yo guys....all the rams work....i tried inserting them separately in one slot, and they all work. It seems this motherboard can handle 8gb worth of ram.