Windows xp no video after post boot

G

so i have this problem.
when i start up my windows xp pc everything goes fine...until after the the windows xp logo..there is no video signal.it starts up fine under safe mode(command).i'm not sure what brand the videocard is as its somebody else's pc.does anyone know the problem?i already did a re-format.
i even reset-ed the bios settings.

Are there 2 video cards in the computer? I have seen issues where the PC would show POST on one video card, then pass control to the second one after Windows loads. If you have no cable on the second card, the screen dissapears. This usually happens with a built-in video card that had an external added. You need to set the BIOS to it sees the built-in one as the main card if this is the case, and move the cable to it.

G

no it doesn't have a built-in video card.it's just an external.
yes i already formatted the hdd.
but it's so weird cuz when i go into safe mode everything works.
i mean even when i was formatting everything was going fine.
it's jsut after the xp logo there is no video signal.
so now i'm thinking about to try a different videocard.

no it doesn't have a built-in video card.it's just an external.
yes i already formatted the hdd.
but it's so weird cuz when i go into safe mode everything works.
i mean even when i was formatting everything was going fine.
it's jsut after the xp logo there is no video signal.
so now i'm thinking about to try a different videocard.

Is this happening before you loaded any special drivers for the card? Right after a new build of XP?

You may have set your video settings to be such that the monitor can't display them. Some monitors show an
"out of range" message when that happens, some don't. Go into safe mode and remove the driver setup for the card. Then reboot and have it start the video in normal VGA mode, re-do the driver setup.

Since this happens only after XP starts to load, looks like the issue is with the drivers or settings of the video card.

It's probably not the video card.
Set the bios back to the default settings.
If you have an XP CD, do a repair install, that will load the stock drivers for the video.
See Tom's XP forum, right here on this page, fifth post from the top, repair install.
Once you get the video driver loaded with the repair install, try loading the video card driver next, when you have some video running.

Something else that could be happening. I have seen rare cases where the circutry on the card was damaged and could not diplay any type of higher-end video settings. Can you try this card in another computer, or on another monitor that maybe has a higher resolution capability? If the card ALWAYS fails when Windows starts no matter where you try it, you may have a failed or failing chip on it.