Sign in with
Your question

CPU bottlenecking Video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2008 8:12:41 PM

I was wondering if my cpu is bottlenecking my videocard. I've seen scores higher then mine and am curious.

Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz)
1.5Gb Crucial DDR 400 @ 3-3-3-8 timing
maxtor 160Gb SATA-2 HD on SATA-1 controller
ECS P4M800Pro-V.1A AGP8x
BFG 6800GT OC 256Mb DDR3 @ 370/1000 AGP8x
Soundblaster live digital 5.1

3dmark03 score = 11998

Is this normal? Is my CPU bottlenecking, I assumed I would get higher score due to the Dualcore CPU, or is this average? No OC'ing the PC or video.

THX, just wondering!
February 17, 2008 8:15:04 PM

It's fine. The other scores that are higher are probably due to the fact that they have their pc OCed.
February 17, 2008 10:07:59 PM

You're Pentium D 820 might be holding back your 3DMark score some, but I don't think it is hurting your actual game performance much with the graphics card you are using.

-mcg
Related resources
February 17, 2008 11:33:33 PM

What the other guy said, your video card is bottlenecking your video card, although i dont' know what good card you could get for xgp unless it's like a ati 1950 xt, but via chipsets and ati don't always play nice together.
February 18, 2008 12:44:10 PM

No, video games run nice on my PC, and even Radeon cards work good. (I swapped out my ATI 9600pro 256 Mb 8x AGP which still ran games fine). I just was checking performance. I can get my score higher then what I posted by OC'ing the VC or the CPU but I don't play to many games. I think HL2 and the other Steam games are what I play on occasions, I mainly play NFS most wanted and card games. So THX guys, my next little upgrade was CPU and PSU that's it.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2008 1:12:31 PM

Ah, the old "I don't care that my PC will do anything I want to do perfectly fine, I just want to throw more money at it so I can have a gigantic e-penis, er, uh benchmark score."

Yes, for benchmarking, the Pentium D is going to leave you a little short, as well the AGP interface, as well the 6800GT. There is a lot of room for gaming improvement system-wide for you, but then again, if it does what you need to do just fine, why throw money at it?
February 18, 2008 8:25:27 PM

Yeah, exactly. My system does more then enough. My upgrades that I want to do are really just changing my case for an ANTEC 900, a OCZ Stealthextreme 600 Watt PSU and maybe changing to quad core. The CPU is not important, I will go with PCI-E within the year but I don't really need it. Only reason for change is to update my wifes PC which is a p3 933. She gets this system and I get all new or just certain changes. I am not big on upgrades, I just don't throw money around but I like to change certain things to keep it going well. Like I said, THX, just ensuring my CPU is not holding anything back.
!