• Cool the cpu more

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Both

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Sharft6

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
My mate bought a new computer last year and ever since has been having problems where his computer crashes when gaming without vsync.

he has a HYENA ATX500IR VER 2.2 (500w PSU for $67NZD/$53USD) because it is so cheap brings me to believe that maybe the psu isn't good enough.

the cpu also runs very hot (about 74 degrees load and about 59idle). He is using the stock cooler and running stock settings(no oc) with no side on the case.

multi threaded games need to be pushed to 1 core to avoid crash although it sometimes still happens.

The main question here is does he need a new psu or some how make the cpu run colder?

It might be that the heatsink is not seated properly.

He can try to fix it himself, or at least inspect it, but that can void the Hyena warranty. If the heatsink is not seated properly, then call tech support about the problem. They may say send it back or give instructions to fix the problem.

crashing without vsync is extremely odd....

Make sure there is no fan control on the board turned on so the fan goes full speed all the time....check to see that all 4 pins pushed clean through the motherboard...this happens and causes high temps

the 6750 runs cooler then the E6600 since the core is a newer revision.... they do not compare.... i know as i have set both up and the 6750 ran a good bit cooler...

but it should never be going much over 60(in most cases @ full load)

756TB

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I have an E6600 OC at 3.0 which idles at 22 C and works under a moderate load at 30 C. Usually it is 3 to 4 C above room temperature.

Sharft6

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
hmm if his fan is idling at 1700rpm and load @ 2000rpm would that mean smart fan is disabled? he says it is disabled but 2krpm for a stock cooler sounds slow to me.

also you say something about making sure 4 pins are pushed right through the mobo. i've never had a s775 before so maybe you could explain this.

randomizer

Champion
It could also just be a bad chip like mine. I idle at 45-50C with C1E enabled, and 55-59C with C1E disabled. I load around 70C, but I have gone higher. This is with an aftermarket cooler and running at 3GHz and stock vcore. 74C is quite warm but not at all dangerously high.

If the speed is changing(1700 to 2000) there is fan speed control ON....it never hurts to turn it off in this case. It will normally be in the bios under hardware monitor.

For the 4 pins....the 775 heatsinks are held by 4 pins that go through the board....there are smaller pins inside that force the outer section to expand on the other side of the board. This is what holds the heatsink on....some times the pin end gets expanded before it goes all the way through the board. this would cause uneven contact and hotter temps....The best way to look for this is to remove the board and look on the back....it will be easy to see if they are in right or not....

pictures are good
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=19&id=1215&pg=6

Sharft6

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006

heh and i thought me 5600+ runs hot.

are you suggesting that it is more likely the cheap power supply causing the crashes? or something else? or a combination of things?

btw this C1E thing... i thought you were talking about enhanced speed stepping at first but then i noticed your C1E load temprature doesn't match your non C1E load temperature. maybe this feature could help?

randomizer

Champion
EIST (speedstep) is a different power-saving feature to C1E, but both have the same purpose - to throttle the CPU (both speed and voltage) to save power and reduce heat output when not under load. This throttling is entirely different to the throttling that occurs when overheating. I have found that EIST doesn't work properly for me, as it doesn't adjust the speed properly as I pu a load on the CPU, so I get stuck at a much lower speed. C1E works fine though, and has no performance drop that you would notice except maybe in a benchmark where times are measured in milliseconds (it does take an incredibly small amount of time for the CPU to ramp up it's speed as a response to increased load). It may also help control high temps as any time the load drops significantly on the CPU even for a short time it will slow down. As long as you don't change the CPU multiplier C1E can function properly even when overclocked, but not quite as effectively.

Sharft6

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
he came around and i checked the heat sink which was just sort of dangling there not even in contact with the cpu when the case is up right. so i plugged it in properly but he still had the crashing problems (temps are WAY down now).

he said something about a noise that sounds like his computer is going to blow up and i just assumed it was the sound of fans speeding up. turns out it was a static/surging/sparking/short circuiting noise coming from the psu when its under load. when its idle it just makes an uncomfortable high pitch scream.

so anyway he bought a cool master 460w EXTREME POWER PLUS V2.3 and now his pc is as stable as an octo-legged-horse