RAID 0 vs. VelociRaptor Options

src1425

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I'm currently running 2 x 250GB Hitachi Deskstars in RAID 0 with a third drive for backup, and since I'll probably transfer one over to a new system for my son, I'd like to take the opportunity to upgrade my drives.

I use my PC for typical office apps and moderate gaming. In a nutshell, what will give me better performance:

1. My current HDs in RAID 0
2. A 300GB VelociRaptor for both system/programs and data storage (backup would still be on one of my existing drives)
3. A 150GB VelociRaptor for system/programs only and one of my current drives for data storage (backup as above)

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

Siggy19

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
In theory 7,200rpm RAID 0 will give you better performance than 10,000rpm single disk for most purposes (not seek time, but most everything else).

However, RAID 0 has the potential to fail and all data is then lost.

For me, I would probably go with the 300GB Velociraptor for everything at the moment, with a view to adding a Terabyte drive and splitting the data from the applications when needed. The 150GB velociraptor is not enough cheaper to be worthwhile, in my opinion.

src1425

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Thanks! I'm leaning towards dropping RAID 0 and adding NAS to backup both systems. For an extra $50 the 300GB Velociraptor will give me plenty of room (I only have about 50GB of data). Any thoughts on whether it's better to have everything on the Velociraptor or to leave it just for OS and apps?

ShadowFlash

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Always better to split OS, Programs, and Files ( 3 drives if you can ) than everything on 1 drive. I'm a RAID freak, but I would split it all up on seperate drives long before I'de RAID 0. OS/programs on one, and Files on another is OK too.

Siggy19

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
It should be easy enough to split your apps and data at a later date if you can. I would generally keep the OS and programs together... functionally they are the same...

The OS and programs benefit from fast access times while data usually benefit more from fast streaming and any decent harddrive will do for that purpose. If you are running a database, this is different, but for media files, any 7,200rpm disk can serve up video faster than you can watch it.

I would also keep the virtual memory on the OS disk. This is not perfect for efficiency, but the same benefit of access speed affects the virtual memory, so the faster disk should balance the minor contension that may occur. Just remember to have a fixed size for your virtual memory (or get 12GB and run with zero Virtual !)

TRENDING THREADS