Anyone have PDF of the manual for Samsung SIR-T165 STB?

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
June 27, 2005 8:44:40 PM

I got a Samsung SIR-T165 off of eBay and am having some trouble figuring
out some things.

I can't seem to tune into a digital channel directly. Typing any
channel number goes directly to the analog channel, then I have to use
channel up to get to the digital channel(s).

I have the channels preference set to "Air".

I also can't add digital channels manually. I can only get the digital
channels to work by scanning. This won't work for me because some
channels are in different directions, and if I rescan after rotating the
antenna, the original memorized channels are lost.

Is this thing that poorly designed? Did I get a bad unit from an eBay
seller?

I have a unit that was manufactured in November, 2002, and Samsung's web
site advises that I need a firmware upgrade. I filled out their form
online and should get the upgrade kit in a week or so. I just wonder if
they are still supporting this unit via this web page.

Anyway, again, with this eBay purchase I did not receive a manual. I am
pretty sure Samsung used to have one from reading various posts, but it
isn't on there web site now. I would appreciate it if someone could
email me one or post a link here. (email jeffb04@eaglesoft.com)

Thanks,
Jeff Burris
Salina, Kansas
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 28, 2005 2:17:14 AM

Jeff Burris wrote:
> I got a Samsung SIR-T165 off of eBay and am having some trouble figuring
> out some things.
>
> I can't seem to tune into a digital channel directly. Typing any
> channel number goes directly to the analog channel, then I have to use
> channel up to get to the digital channel(s).
>
> I have the channels preference set to "Air".
>
> I also can't add digital channels manually. I can only get the digital
> channels to work by scanning. This won't work for me because some
> channels are in different directions, and if I rescan after rotating the
> antenna, the original memorized channels are lost.
>
> Is this thing that poorly designed? Did I get a bad unit from an eBay
> seller?
>
> I have a unit that was manufactured in November, 2002, and Samsung's web
> site advises that I need a firmware upgrade. I filled out their form
> online and should get the upgrade kit in a week or so. I just wonder if
> they are still supporting this unit via this web page.
>
> Anyway, again, with this eBay purchase I did not receive a manual. I am
> pretty sure Samsung used to have one from reading various posts, but it
> isn't on there web site now. I would appreciate it if someone could
> email me one or post a link here. (email jeffb04@eaglesoft.com)
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff Burris
> Salina, Kansas
Go out to the Samsung site. You can download a manual as long as you
have a model number.
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/support/b2c_sup...
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 28, 2005 11:07:59 AM

Since you've already got a link to the manual, I'll address some of your
points...

"Jeff Burris" <jeffb04@eaglesoft.com> wrote in message

> I can't seem to tune into a digital channel directly. Typing any
> channel number goes directly to the analog channel, then I have to use
> channel up to get to the digital channel(s).

Since there's no "dash" or "dot" key on the Samsung's remote, the way to
tune a digital channel without having to "channel up" is by entering the
actual digital broadcast number. For instance, if you have an analog 7-0
channel, the 7-1 you're trying to get is a **virtual** channel. It's
actually being broadcast elsewhere - maybe 23-1 or 58-1. So, by punching in
the real channel number, such as "23", you'll be taken directly to 7-1.

Due to analog stations, numerous sub-channels and slow tuning, I don't find
channel up/down of too much use on this receiver, I always directly enter
numbers.

> I also can't add digital channels manually. I can only get the digital
> channels to work by scanning. This won't work for me because some
> channels are in different directions, and if I rescan after rotating the
> antenna, the original memorized channels are lost.

Don't scan. You don't need to on this receiver. Whenever you punch in a
channel number on the remote, the receiver will attempt to tune it. If it's
there, it'll be automatically added to the channel list. If it was there at
one point but not when you punch it in later... it doesn't do anything, it
just won't be able to tune it - it will NOT be removed from the list.
Running a scan will reset everything back to only what's available at that
particular point.

The key is you need to find out exactly what digital stations are being
broadcast in your area and what their real channel numbers are. Don't rely
on the scan. There's probably a website out there that has what you need - I
maintain a list for the Toronto and Buffalo areas.

> Is this thing that poorly designed? Did I get a bad unit from an eBay
> seller?

It's just different. :-)

> I have a unit that was manufactured in November, 2002, and Samsung's web
> site advises that I need a firmware upgrade. I filled out their form
> online and should get the upgrade kit in a week or so. I just wonder if
> they are still supporting this unit via this web page.

Are you SURE you need the firmware upgrade? I think it gives specific
requirements for the T165 unit, as some need it and some don't. Mine didn't.

- Daniel
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 28, 2005 12:13:03 PM

Marlin Singer wrote:

> Jeff Burris wrote:
>
>> I got a Samsung SIR-T165 off of eBay and am having some trouble
>> figuring out some things.
>>
>> I can't seem to tune into a digital channel directly. Typing any
>> channel number goes directly to the analog channel, then I have to use
>> channel up to get to the digital channel(s).
>>
>> I have the channels preference set to "Air".
>>
>> I also can't add digital channels manually. I can only get the
>> digital channels to work by scanning. This won't work for me because
>> some channels are in different directions, and if I rescan after
>> rotating the antenna, the original memorized channels are lost.
>>
>> Is this thing that poorly designed? Did I get a bad unit from an eBay
>> seller?
>>
>> I have a unit that was manufactured in November, 2002, and Samsung's
>> web site advises that I need a firmware upgrade. I filled out their
>> form online and should get the upgrade kit in a week or so. I just
>> wonder if they are still supporting this unit via this web page.
>>
>> Anyway, again, with this eBay purchase I did not receive a manual. I
>> am pretty sure Samsung used to have one from reading various posts,
>> but it isn't on there web site now. I would appreciate it if someone
>> could email me one or post a link here. (email jeffb04@eaglesoft.com)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff Burris
>> Salina, Kansas
>
> Go out to the Samsung site. You can download a manual as long as you
> have a model number.
> http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/support/b2c_sup...

Thanks for the response, but for this model, it returns "No files
found". So I'm still looking for a manual.

Jeff Burris
Salina, Kansas
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 28, 2005 12:30:11 PM

Daniel Tonks wrote:

> Since you've already got a link to the manual, I'll address some of your
> points...

Thanks for responding. BTW, still looking for a manual.

> "Jeff Burris" <jeffb04@eaglesoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I can't seem to tune into a digital channel directly. Typing any
>>channel number goes directly to the analog channel, then I have to use
>>channel up to get to the digital channel(s).
>

> Since there's no "dash" or "dot" key on the Samsung's remote, the way to
> tune a digital channel without having to "channel up" is by entering the
> actual digital broadcast number. For instance, if you have an analog 7-0
> channel, the 7-1 you're trying to get is a **virtual** channel. It's
> actually being broadcast elsewhere - maybe 23-1 or 58-1. So, by punching in
> the real channel number, such as "23", you'll be taken directly to 7-1.
>
> Due to analog stations, numerous sub-channels and slow tuning, I don't find
> channel up/down of too much use on this receiver, I always directly enter
> numbers.

I figured this out after playing with the unit a while longer. So in my
area I can tune to 9-1 directly by entering 16. But i guess there is no
way to go directly to 9-3. Not that big a deal.

>>I also can't add digital channels manually. I can only get the digital
>>channels to work by scanning. This won't work for me because some
>>channels are in different directions, and if I rescan after rotating the
>>antenna, the original memorized channels are lost.
>

> Don't scan. You don't need to on this receiver. Whenever you punch in a
> channel number on the remote, the receiver will attempt to tune it. If it's
> there, it'll be automatically added to the channel list. If it was there at
> one point but not when you punch it in later... it doesn't do anything, it
> just won't be able to tune it - it will NOT be removed from the list.
> Running a scan will reset everything back to only what's available at that
> particular point.
>
> The key is you need to find out exactly what digital stations are being
> broadcast in your area and what their real channel numbers are. Don't rely
> on the scan. There's probably a website out there that has what you need - I
> maintain a list for the Toronto and Buffalo areas.

As above, I figured this out too. I had a list of all the "real"
channel numbers, but I am on a fringe area, and when I was typing them
in originally, they just weren't coming in.

>>Is this thing that poorly designed? Did I get a bad unit from an eBay
>>seller?
>

> It's just different. :-)

I am learning that. It does integrate with my JVC DVHS VCR very nicely.
I dont understand why noone puts firewire outputs on the newest models.

>>I have a unit that was manufactured in November, 2002, and Samsung's web
>>site advises that I need a firmware upgrade. I filled out their form
>>online and should get the upgrade kit in a week or so. I just wonder if
>>they are still supporting this unit via this web page.
>

> Are you SURE you need the firmware upgrade? I think it gives specific
> requirements for the T165 unit, as some need it and some don't. Mine didn't.

Yes, I checked. It says mine does need it for some broadcast flag
update. I can still receive all channels in my area, but I guess that
could change.

> - Daniel

One more question. I could try this, but have been too lazy. Does this
support tuning OTA and Cable simultaneously? I can't see how it would,
since a lot of channel numbers would overlap, but I see it has separate
RF inputs for "Air" and "Cable.

Thanks again,
Jeff Burris
Salina, Kansas
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 28, 2005 5:09:49 PM

"Jeff Burris" <jeffb04@eaglesoft.com> wrote in message
>I got a Samsung SIR-T165 off of eBay and am having some trouble figuring
>out some things.
>
> I can't seem to tune into a digital channel directly. Typing any channel
> number goes directly to the analog channel, then I have to use channel up
> to get to the digital channel(s).
>
> I have the channels preference set to "Air".
>
> I also can't add digital channels manually. I can only get the digital
> channels to work by scanning. This won't work for me because some
> channels are in different directions, and if I rescan after rotating the
> antenna, the original memorized channels are lost.
>
> Is this thing that poorly designed? Did I get a bad unit from an eBay
> seller?
>
> I have a unit that was manufactured in November, 2002, and Samsung's web
> site advises that I need a firmware upgrade. I filled out their form
> online and should get the upgrade kit in a week or so. I just wonder if
> they are still supporting this unit via this web page.
>
> Anyway, again, with this eBay purchase I did not receive a manual. I am
> pretty sure Samsung used to have one from reading various posts, but it
> isn't on there web site now. I would appreciate it if someone could email
> me one or post a link here. (email jeffb04@eaglesoft.com)
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff Burris
> Salina, Kansas

Try this link:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200304/200...
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 28, 2005 6:24:20 PM

Just a guess......You might try downloading a manual similar to your model.
Perhaps, do a google search on your model to try and find a similar model???
noone

"Jeff Burris" <jeffdb@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>

> >>I have a unit that was manufactured in November, 2002, and Samsung's web
> >>site advises that I need a firmware upgrade. I filled out their form
> >>online and should get the upgrade kit in a week or so. I just wonder if
> >>they are still supporting this unit via this web page.
> >

> > Are you SURE you need the firmware upgrade? I think it gives specific
> > requirements for the T165 unit, as some need it and some don't. Mine
didn't.

> Yes, I checked. It says mine does need it for some broadcast flag
> update. I can still receive all channels in my area, but I guess that
> could change.
>

> > - Daniel
> >

> One more question. I could try this, but have been too lazy. Does this
> support tuning OTA and Cable simultaneously? I can't see how it would,
> since a lot of channel numbers would overlap, but I see it has separate

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 28, 2005 6:28:55 PM

I had to do something to find the gas cap number for our chainsaw that had a
strange model number not on the manufacturers site. I went to the
manufacturers site and poked around until I found a similar model. I
downloaded the manual. It was a bunch of work, but I did end up getting the
correct gas cap.

noone

"nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:o 4dwe.1042370$w62.508753@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> [...]
> > in originally, they just weren't coming in.

> > > It's just different. :-)
> > >

> > I am learning that. It does integrate with my JVC DVHS VCR very nicely.
> > I dont understand why noone puts firewire outputs on the newest
models.

> > > Are you SURE you need the firmware upgrade? I think it gives specific
> > > requirements for the T165 unit, as some need it and some don't. Mine
> didn't.
> > >

> > Yes, I checked. It says mine does need it for some broadcast flag
> > update. I can still receive all channels in my area, but I guess that
> > could change.
> >

> > > - Daniel
> > >

> > One more question. I could try this, but have been too lazy. Does this
> > support tuning OTA and Cable simultaneously? I can't see how it would,
> > since a lot of channel numbers would overlap, but I see it has separate

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 28, 2005 7:05:15 PM

G.R. wrote:

> "Jeff Burris" <jeffb04@eaglesoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I got a Samsung SIR-T165 off of eBay and am having some trouble figuring
>>out some things.
>>
>>I can't seem to tune into a digital channel directly. Typing any channel
>>number goes directly to the analog channel, then I have to use channel up
>>to get to the digital channel(s).
>>
>>I have the channels preference set to "Air".
>>
>>I also can't add digital channels manually. I can only get the digital
>>channels to work by scanning. This won't work for me because some
>>channels are in different directions, and if I rescan after rotating the
>>antenna, the original memorized channels are lost.
>>
>>Is this thing that poorly designed? Did I get a bad unit from an eBay
>>seller?
>>
>>I have a unit that was manufactured in November, 2002, and Samsung's web
>>site advises that I need a firmware upgrade. I filled out their form
>>online and should get the upgrade kit in a week or so. I just wonder if
>>they are still supporting this unit via this web page.
>>
>>Anyway, again, with this eBay purchase I did not receive a manual. I am
>>pretty sure Samsung used to have one from reading various posts, but it
>>isn't on there web site now. I would appreciate it if someone could email
>>me one or post a link here. (email jeffb04@eaglesoft.com)
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Jeff Burris
>>Salina, Kansas
>

> Try this link:
> http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200304/200...

Thank you, thank you!!

Jeff
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 28, 2005 9:24:24 PM

"Jeff Burris" <jeffdb@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> One more question. I could try this, but have been too lazy. Does this
> support tuning OTA and Cable simultaneously? I can't see how it would,
> since a lot of channel numbers would overlap, but I see it has separate
> RF inputs for "Air" and "Cable.

Not simultaneously. In fact switching back-and-forth is anything but
elegant.

- Daniel
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
July 27, 2005 9:05:56 PM

>>I have a unit that was manufactured in November, 2002, and Samsung's web
>>site advises that I need a firmware upgrade. I filled out their form
>>online and should get the upgrade kit in a week or so. I just wonder if
>>they are still supporting this unit via this web page.
>

> Are you SURE you need the firmware upgrade? I think it gives specific
> requirements for the T165 unit, as some need it and some don't. Mine didn't.
>
> - Daniel

Well, I guess it has been over a month and I never got the firmware
upgrade. Samsung must not be providing this any longer.

I am having a problem with the unit. I set a reservation for it to
record off of 9-02, but it always records off of 9-01. I even removed
9-01 from memory, yet that is what it tunes to and records on my DVHS.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a firmware update and
instructions to build a cable to upload it?

Thanks,
Jeff Burris
Salina, Kansas
!