B3 Shipped! Fixes TLB (Techreport)

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
pwnt. Hopefully they offer a tad better perf per watt and performance as well (talking small amounts here). As usual refinement processes do, and more clock speed of corse.

ryman554

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006

Correction:

Engineering Samples have shipped to OEMS.

A good step, but not yet the 'relaunch'

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Hang on, most people will not use the Opteron at home...

Whens the flipping Phenom bugged fixed version comming out..

I couldnt give a stuff personally about the server processor...

I find it interesting personally Hellboy. Yes this means nothing for the desktop chips but if they are not to be shipped by HP/Dell and so on until Q2 I wounder when the server Nehalems will come out. I know they usually get released a few months prior to desktops so this might be close for AMD.

If the server "fixed" versions will hit Q2 then we might see the Phenoms by say late Q2 early Q3? I say late Q2 will be the earliest as AMD would want their server chips out first since they do the best in that market.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I don't think clock speeds will change much before 45nm. Then, I expect AMD to have Phenom's clocked at 3.2 to start, with higher clocks to come. B3 is only expected to be 2.6 and is not expected to hit retail until the first week of April, which is basically early 2nd quarter.

Why do things "gotta change for AMD?" it's about making a profit, and if they can make a profit in the market segment they're aiming at, what's the issue? Oh right, if AMD doesn't ramp up to almost please enthusiasts, then Intel won't release enthusiast Nehalems on times. It's all about the price and availability of Intel CPU's to many here. Very strange that.

'why do things gotta change'? Actually, that's quite sensible. Benches have shown that the two only areas where Barcelona kicks Core2's butt is complex arithmetics and memory management.

It would thus stand to reason that grid servers benefit most from Barcelona - a woman with great boobs and knotty knees won't hang out in a big sweater and a miniskirt...

Look at it this way: K7 and K8, which were in the same situation (very strong arithmetics capabilities) kicked Intel's butt something fierce in the desktop area at the time, not because K7 and K8 were also good all-around chips, but because Intel's product offer of the time sucked.

In what case do professionals change a computer's processor? Answer: in servers, where the platforms allows for minimal interruption on such operation (many UNICes allow for CPU hot-plugging, Windows can't even dream about it), which helps explain AMD's current focus on backward and forward compatibility in their socket and chipset designs.

The fact that only enthusiasts change CPU in their machines, and that such a market doesn't represent more than a single digit percentage of the consumer market, should show iclearly that Barcelona was never designed for that market (the last AMD CPU specifically designed for that was the K6; Duron and Sempron don't count as they were hacked down versions of the more powerful K7/K8 cores).

Long story short, I find normal and sensible that AMD focuses on high performance grid computing as a market, instead of enthusiasts, which by nature is very volatile.

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
mitch074, good analysis, AMD has always focused on the money product, not the name making product, although right now thye need both.

endyen

Splendid
Hey Mitch, I like your sig.
That is what AMD needs for the phenoms.
Before they released the core2s Intel spent months and $millions making sure that software was efficiently coded for the extra cache and the 128 bit SSE. They may even have used chip recognition protocols.
For phenom to work the way it should, it needs programs to be efficiently coded for it.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

Yes, because we all know Intel paid to have every string of code on Earth rewritten to show Core2 in a better light.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

No... just the benchmarks.

Absolutely ... but it is a better chip... because of the superior cache and prefetch logic ... that's the difference.

The comment tho Reminds me of the scam 3D scores from the Number 9 VT cards ... running optimised code.

Or NVidia's constant emphasis on frame rates ... vs image quality.

Take short cuts on image quality ... gives subsequent higher frame rates.

Makes the card out to be better than it really is.

When you compare the GPGU throughput the latest ATI cards and NVidia cards are not much different.

There is some logic in that comment ... for sure.

Microsoft have probably optimised Vista for core2 ... LOL !!

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
No i think you will find microsoft have optimised vista for my dustbin as thats about where it deservs to go at the moment, its ****.

Mandrake_

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006

I thought Core 2 was designed for benchmarks! :lol: :lol:

I just love how easily and fast people bad mouth Vista. I will agree that it is not what I expected but doesn't anyone remember XP when it first came out? Slow, buggy and full of holes. But after SP1 and then SP2 it showed it potential and yes is still a nice OS.

Currently Vista came out with less problems and bugs and holes than XP and is not a bad OS. If you want a bad OS look at Windows ME. What happens when you take all the crap from 98 and 2000? You get ME.

So Phenoms may hit early Q2? I still doubt it. and 45nm H2 08? Still doubt it. The sales of the 65nm Phenoms wouldn't amount to much since most will wait till the 45nm if they prove to be better especially since they have been waiting so long.

I just noticed but even if Intel just made a kick ass CPU AMD fanbois would still say Intel did something to make them seem better.

Just can't seem to get them to understand that Core2 is better than K8 and even better than K10. I understoon K8 was better than Netburst so just live with it that Core2 is better right now.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I remember when XP came out....I bought XP Home Retail the week after release.....*twitch*
The damned IRQ steering drivers to stop hardware conflict that would cause problems in Win9X didn't work right till after SP1. I know this for a fact because I had constant IRQ conflict problems with the msi k7t Raid mainboard I was using at the time. The raid controller liked to use the same IRQ that my soundblaster needed, and it was a pain trying to get it to release and use something else. So basically every time I tried to run a game, or anything with sound, the system would hard lock. Ironically I didn't have said issue running Win98SE or ME.

Neh, Phenom sales right now currently aren't all that bad, if you look at the last quarterly report you see the processor division actually turning a profit, GPU side is still just barely in the red. They need to release B3 barcelona first though, so they can try and satisfy the demand for the CPU's that were suppose to have been out last year. Hopefully b3 agena should be soon to follow, as far as I remember there shouldn't be much needed to change between the two other than the socket.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I simply can't wait for Shanghai. I'll go B3 Agena when it arrives in April, hopefully, I can get a 2.6 gigahertz version (or at least 2.4). What I'd originally wanted when I upgraded to an ATI card and motherboard, was the 780G but it didn't arrive in time. It's getting good reviews now.

Vista's not that bad. I use it for DX10 games. Since I've gotten the 3870x2, my goal is to go CrossfireX on a 790FX board with a 4850 for the second GPU. I really don't know why ATI's not turning a profit for AMD, they have great GPU's now.