dimothy

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
So I decided to squeeze the last life out of my socket 939 board and bought an AMD64 X2 4400+ off of EBay. I have now got it installed on my GA-K8NSNXP with my ASUS Silent Knight 2 (I think) cooler installed and Arctic Silver thermal paste as the contact medium. Has proved a rather effective upgrade bar one thing, temperature. Using SpeedFan I see temps in the 60+ during Battlefield 2 and after exiting it takes forever to cool down and the slightest hint of loading an app sends it back up to 50.

The case is a CM Stacker (origianal I believe) so airflow is pretty good. The only thing I can think of is to do with the orientation of the Heatsink. Anyone who has used my model of mainboard will know that the clever DPS thing merely gets in the way of installing most heatsinks. This means the ASUS fan points vertically (towards PSU) and not horizontally towards the rear 120mm fan.

So my query is are the temps I am seeing normal (ish) for what is essentially a more powerful processor than my previous 3200+? If not any hints or even recommendations of a heatsink that will fit this rather cumbersome board correctly?

Regards

Tim

dimothy

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
P1010150.jpg

cpuzshot.jpg

Hope these help

regards

tim

dimothy

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
thats the trouble with this mobo though is that it will not fit in the horizontal direction due to the retaining bracket thing not fitting. Will the hot air from the graphics have that pronounced an impact? Any ideas for a different cooler perhaps?

dimothy

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
random exits in BF2 now. lasts longer with case open so i suppose that confirms my fear that the angle of the CPU cooler is probably to blame plus some rather untidy cabling. I did think the HD 3850 might warm it up a wee bit as well.

So does anybody know of a decent cooler that would fit in with my setup perhaps?

To answer Ahslans question it idles when switched on round about 33 degrees plus or minus a few. This struck me as being relatively acceptable though it does jump pretty quickly

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
well 33 idle isn't really bad...its really surprising how much it rises when under load considering how awesome that cpu looks (looked it up on newegg for more pics and it looks like a beast)...since the video card is soo close to the cooler, it looks like the cooler isnt really getting cool air (if anything, if anything its getting hot air from the video card and the psu)...sad, sad, sad...unfortunately, i think u are gonna have to replace that cooler...do u happen to have the stock cpu cooler from ur previous cpu? if you have anything else, try it...

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
The cable management in the case looks like a disjointed bowl of spaghetti. You need to try and use tiedowns, clips and such to help hide some of it. The rest needs to be placed around back of the mb tray or behind the MB or, perhaps, in an empty drivebay......

G

GOOD TEMPS.....But the Heatsink isn't install right, even if everything is good with your system- keep an eye on it, because you never know what full-load with graphics can cause...
and one HINT- GPU- Video Card is often ran with higher temperatures
They are usually like 20.C or so....
Concider your CPU Taking all this hot air and leaving GPU with nothing
ALSO
usually Temperatures at base of computer/bottom part of Case are higher than at the TOP -part, where CPU is mounted.
Cable management is a must...
...BEST OF LUCK

I suggest you remove the heatsink and see if the thermal compound has properly settled, if you have too much or too little it will do something like this.

Also make sure you turn any fan speed control options in the bios off. In this case fast fan speed is a good thing. It sucks that you can not flip the heatsink, but you have to do what you have to do.

From your CPU-Z screen shot, you do NOT have speed step on, this will at least help your idle temps. turn it on in the bios then install the latest AMD cool'n'quiet driver and set your power management to minimal power management to activate it.

Last off, what PSU is that? looks kind of Ultra'ish. make sure its up to the task of your new cpu's heat going right into it.

dimothy

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
was was struggling to find one that is guaranteed to fit my mobo correctly and this one had a stated compatibility to fit my setup. Google searches have proved fruitless so far, i guess noone else seems to have had my luck with choices.

I would still recheck to make sure the heatsink is seated right and that there is no fan speed options on in the hardware monitor section of the bios. With a low TDP, you should not need too much cooling. Even my old A64 3200+ with the copper aluminum version of that heatsink(cnps7000AlCu) you mention works fine at full load all day/night long at 65% fan speed, it IS overpriced for the performance tho. Too bad a Freezer Pro would face up too.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
oh he wont be able to have the air exit the rear with the xigy S1283, I have the same problem, amd mounts are stupid and with the way the base of the sink is designed, like all heatsinks with a base and heatpipes sticking out on 2 sides, we amd users can only place the hsf so that the air goes upwards without the purchase of whatever other kinds of custom mounts that I dont know about -.-

I have the same problem, but with my hot am2 6400+, my temps never pass 50 on full load with a fan thats crappier than the stock one (unless room temp gets close to 30C), with the newly infamous 4850 right under is, as well as a passively cooled nbridge. pic below...

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn368/De_Associate/P1020999.jpg

I agree with what "nukemaster" said, maybe you put way to much, or way to little thermal compound, or it isn't seated properly somehow.

dimothy

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
P1010153.jpg

newsetup.jpg

seems better than before but still too warm for comfort. Anyone got any good websites for thermal paste application as I feel this may be where I am going wrong, especially considering the fact that its dual core, if that indeed changes anything? As you can see have a new heat sink properly orientated and tidied up my cabling. Seems to cool down a lot quicker than before after use but must admit am still concerned about hitting the 60 under load.

Thanks for all your help so far by the way. Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.

tim