Sign in with
Your question

Move a secondary Hard drive

Last response: in Storage
March 3, 2009 8:32:29 PM

I have a partioned internal secondary hard drive. If I remove it from my pc and put it in a usb enclosure and connect it to the same pc, what will occur? will my old I: drive (on the secondary drive) still be my I: drive when it is external. What if I connect it to another pc? It only contains files, no applications.
March 3, 2009 8:59:32 PM

honeywrist said:
I have a partioned internal secondary hard drive. If I remove it from my pc and put it in a usb enclosure and connect it to the same pc, what will occur? will my old I: drive (on the secondary drive) still be my I: drive when it is external. What if I connect it to another pc? It only contains files, no applications.

most of the time moving the drive to an enclosure works seemlessly. it might pick a different drive letter but data remains. every now and then differences in how the controller deals with drive geometry will show the drive as empty. but as long as you dont reformat/repartition the drive you should be able to plug it back where it was and get the data off.

a b G Storage
March 5, 2009 6:46:03 AM

The same hard drive on the same mobo should be recognized no problem. The interface will change but it should still pick it up and recognize all of the data.
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 5, 2009 3:41:34 PM

You will have a partitioned USB drive. It may, however, not be assigned Drive I: when you plug it into any, including the original, computer.
March 5, 2009 3:45:22 PM

since you're not moving your main hard drive (meaning the one where windows is installed), then you shouldn't run into any problems at all, except as some people already pointed out, it may be assigned a different drive letter, which would cause any shortcuts to programs installed on it to not work properly. but if you only have data like photos and music and such, then you shouldn't have any problems at all.
!