Mobo with this Setup

blucher_au

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
Hey guys,

I get really confused with all the motherboard talk - so I was wondering if someone of higher expertise could help simplify things for me.

I am building a new setup with either an E6750 or Q6600.
1st - are there mobo's that allow for interchange between dual and quad (in the future if quad takes off for everyday computer-usage and not just Crysis and intense graphic programming)

I will be using a 8800GT O/C (MSI) 512 and will probably never go SLi so that feature isn't necessary.

I just got a new Seagate 7200 500gb 32mb cache SATA II and have 2 x Samsung DVD burners from my last setup.

I will be chasing 4gb DDR ram (but again, don't know much about ram so would like some recommendations).

I am happy to use the computer as is until it gets too slow and would then consider o/cling when I am about to upgrade - so if anything goes wrong it doesn't really matter... but if it works right... then i have a decent computer for another few months.

As this setup will be a huge upgrade from what i currently have, I don't think I will be needed to o/c yet.

If anyone is in Brisbane (Aus) and wouldn't mind helping I'd probably be inclined to.

Anyway... your thoughts and help please.

Thanks,
Kris

blucher_au

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
yeah i meant DDR2
E8400 looks good - how do those new Xeon's relate?
I can only really see them in 1 online shop here in Aus.
www.pcmaniacs.com.au

Are they really the SAME chip as the e8400?