C2D T7300 VS T8100

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
Does anyone know the relative performance of these two processors if both are running on the GM 965 mobile chipset? I need to know both from a battery run time as well as flat out performance perspective. I suspect they are pretty close in performance but if one has better battery run time that the other then that one would "take the cake". The T7300 has a 2.0Ghz clock with 4MB L2 cache on a 65nm process and the T8100 is like a 2.13Ghz with 3MB L2 cache on a 45nm process if I am not mistaken. Are there any added features/fixed problems/enhanced pipeline or architecture on the newer chip? I looked at the Tom's hardware CPU charts but cannot directly compare these two processors. I went to Intel to try and find the details/comparison but must not have typed in the right search words. I know they have charts that list their processors but I cant seem to find them. I would appreciate anyone who could shed some light on this for me.

Thank you

Mondoman

Splendid
The T8100 uses Intel's new high-K process, which should dramatically reduce current losses by essentially improving electrical insulating properties. The e8xxx series based on this process is reported to run surprisingly cool, which would seem to back this up, as that wasted current goes to heat. Since both heat and wasted power are key factors for notebook computers, I would go with the T8100. Peak performance should be quite similar between the two.

PS - I assume that the T8100 also includes the new Intel extended numerical instructions SSE4.1.

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
Thank you very much Mondoman. I forgot that Intel's new Penryn had those new high-K triple gates! Thank you for the reply and the good insight.

brons2

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Awesome info, thanks! I am thinking about a custom built HP laptop under my organization's Employee Purchase Plan. I know know that I want at least an 8xxx series C2D as they are 45nm.