Sign in with
Your question

Can I format the partition with the OS without losing my data

Last response: in Storage
March 4, 2009 7:11:58 AM

Simple question, have three partitions, 10GB, 200GB, 250GB, the 10 GB drive C: has been infected by a virus that is impossible to remove. Can I format the drive re install windows while still keeping my data in the other 2 partitions?
March 4, 2009 7:43:44 AM

Yes this is can be done. I have made my friends computers with that kind of setup, what i have learned tho is that you have to make sure your windows CD can read the max GBs on your hard drive. So like if your using windows xp service pack one CD then your going to lose your other partitions because Service pack one was only able to read 127 gigs.

Find out what OS version your installing first, check the net to find out what the OS is able to understand based on your drive size. i am not sure about service pack 2 or 3 but it should be not that hard to find the info you are looking for.

Another way to see if your version of windows will still be able to see your partition's is to pop that CD in your computer, restart and run the install, when it ask for what partition you would like to install on check to see if you can see all your partitions, then you will know if windows can see them and only format the one you want to format. Btw if you label your partitions in windows you will be able to see them in the windows install, just makes it easy to know what drive is what. So like OS partition(10GB) and Video partition(200GB) and Music partition(250GB)
March 4, 2009 7:46:37 AM

Thanks alot mouse
March 4, 2009 12:25:39 PM

Easily.All that will happen is some of the files from the fresh install will be located on the other two partitions.But yes,you can format your primary operating system partition and re-install the O.S.You may also have to move the .exe files from some of your programs on the other partitions to the os partition so windows can find them and execute whatever program you're trying to use.Goodluck.

Dahak

ASUS P5N-D
C2D E8500 STOCK
ZALMAN 9500 CPU COOLER
2X2GIG DDR2 1066 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA GTX 260
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
LG 24IN WS LCD 1920X1080
250GIG HD/500GIG HD
LOGITECH G15 GAMING KEYBOARD
G5 GAMING MOUSE