Mobo socket cover doesn't close?!

PinkishBruno

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
I was assembling my new build... and the load cover on the socket didn't close completely over my E8400! This leaves the lever up right at about 80 degrees and I'm afraid to put any pressure to close it. I've checked the positioning of the CPU and everything there was right... so what gives?

P.S The cover doesn't have a square cut into it for the CPU, instead it's like half a square and half a smaller square.

Help needed urgently!

Kari

Splendid
and the lever needs some force to be closed, it is not gonna close itself...

push the cpu downwards a little with your other hand as well when closing the lever, just to make it sit stable when the lever is pushing on it to avoid bending pins on the socket...

PinkishBruno

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
Sorry guys... after close inspection I found out that it was actually bent upwards. So I installed the HSF without the cover on. Now onto another problem...: PC won't start, the fan LED flashes and then nothing. however, the mobo LED stays on... If you'd like to post any suggestions I'd be quite happy. If this isn't the right place, then tell me and I@ll post a new topic in the relevant place. Cheers.

Dear God Grimmy. That was one of the most boring videos I have ever watched, and it was just for fun. My current system was my first on LGA775 and I got it as its the same as almost every other socket except the bracket that goes over the CPU.

Here is a better one too lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8emxPAZZ53w&feature=related

By ASRock(which I think is Asus)

This guys voice was monotone and dull. And he kept saying "leaver". Ahh I love how they always use a monotone Birtish guy for these kind of things.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You need a new motherboard! The CPU has 775 little contact pads that have to mate with 775 little pins on the socket. That retaining cover line it all up and clmps it in place. When fitting the HSF you would only have to move the CPU about 0.5 mm to lose contact. You may have broke your CPU, and INTEL may NOT replace it under warranty.

Mike.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Where do you get this ASRock is crap notion? They aren't geared towards overclockers or enthusiasts, but they make some of the best budget and stepping stone upgrade boards you can buy. They have the only AGP/PCI-E/DDR1/DDR2 board that supports Core2Quads and they also made the very popular 939Dual-VSTA and Dual-SATA2 that offered support for 939 dualcores and AGP and PCI-E at the same time. That said, if I was looking for overclocking features I wouldn't buy them, but they aren't crap, they are quite good in the budget market segment.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

:cry:. o O (But but but.. it has 107 ratings)

Ugghh.. that video is not exactly.. exciting either... and ummm... did they use 3/4's of that tube for thermal grease? Geesh, they should have just squished it out like tooth paste to make sure they got all of it on the CPU.

:whistle: . o O (I still like the video I found... better :p )

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

:heink: . o O (?)

Usually, when you power up a system that has a dead CPU, it just powers up, no beeps, just fans and whatever leds lights.

However, since the 775 socket has the pin array, you could have a bent pin that would cause problems as well, or just like having a ben pin on a CPU, like athlons64.

In order for a system to POST, you need the CPU and at least one stick of ram, as well as some kind of video card (or integrated video).

It would help if you could post some pics on where your problems at.

after close inspection I found out that it was actually bent upwards.

Not exactly sure what your referring to on that. Are you talking about the cap.. or the load plate? If it's the load plate, ummm.. your not suppose to take that off. That is basically what holds the CPU in its socket.

TRENDING THREADS