SATA drive to replace IDE?

Hi. New here, hope you can help.

I have an old (2002) Evesham with an Athlon XP2200+, 512 mb ram, a CD/RW IDE drive, an IDE DVD/RW drive and a (failing, I think) 100gB IDE HDD. Running XP Home.

My questions are: can I replace the existing IDE HDD with a new SATA HDD? Will I need an adaptor? Is there a limit to the capacity? Or - am I better fitting a new IDE drive, and if so am I limited to a certain size (capacity)?

It's not my primary computer any more, but if I can keep it going for a few more years it will be useful.

All advice gratefully received.

Martin
6 answers Last reply
More about sata drive replace
  1. bingojesus said:
    Hi. New here, hope you can help.

I have an old (2002) Evesham with an Athlon XP2200+, 512 mb ram, a CD/RW IDE drive, an IDE DVD/RW drive and a (failing, I think) 100gB IDE HDD. Running XP Home.

My questions are: can I replace the existing IDE HDD with a new SATA HDD? Will I need an adaptor? Is there a limit to the capacity? Or - am I better fitting a new IDE drive, and if so am I limited to a certain size (capacity)?

It's not my primary computer any more, but if I can keep it going for a few more years it will be useful.

All advice gratefully received.

Martin

i'd be suprised if the athlon board doesnt have sata ports already.

while you can "Adapt" a sata drive to ide you would be better off getting a pcie sata controller to run the new drive. an inexpensive one should run about $50.
    using a dedicated controller with bios you will not have any drive size limit unless the controller you get has one.
  2. yea my MSI neo2 i got for my system in 2003 had a SATA port so its possible. get the make and model of your motherboard and see if it has the port or not. if not i would go also recommend getting a sata controller card for you PC so you do not have to worry about hitting a size limit with current hard drives
  3. Thanks! Very useful. I shall investigate the motherboard and see if it's got a SATA port.
  4. Is there a limit to the capacity?
    Good Question
    This is a 137GB or more per HDD issue, not collective storage above 137GB
    XP\W2K

W2K w\ SP3 or better or XP w\ SP1
    or You must enable the support in the Windows registry.
    48bit LBA support for ATAPI in W2K
    Enable 48bit LBA for ATAPI in XP

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-46099.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

http://www.48bitlba.com/
  5. Maximum data transfer rate on a standard 33 MHz pci buss with a 32 bit system would be 133MB/S
    Switching to a sata drive may provide the potential for achieving that potential but it really would add to the cost and not provide a cost effective upgrade..... Unless cost is not an issue...
    IMHO I would opt for a good ATA133 drive and it would offer about the same performance at a considerably lower cost. Just my 2 cents......
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Storage