Is AMD starting to get their act together finally?

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080304/20080304005451.html?.v=1

Well, first I read the THG review for the new 780g chipset, which looks good. And then while reading another forum, someone posted that link over on extreme systems.

Ultimately sometimes I wonder what the state of things would be if AMD actually fully used the cross license they acquired from ATI and made Intel compatible chipsets. I bet there are some Intel fans that would like to have a 780g, or 790fx for their c2d's if they did it.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I certainly hope AMD gets it together again. I bought their stock while it was way down, lol. I actually do have faith they'll improve, and perhaps one day I'll buy an AMD again. But not today.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Its about time isn't it folks...

I mean how long has it taken for them to move forward...

Now AMD produce a decent processor... Doh......

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
is that why intel stock is down today? probably not, but if AMD can start hitting some launch dates, they may be making a comeback.

sailer

Splendid
No, I doubt that AMD has finally gotten their act together. So they demo a few chips. Seems that I remember AMD doing something like that at Lake Tahoe with a a few handpicked Phenoms. Even then, the news people were highly limited in what they were allowed to do. And the release schedualed for the second half of 2008? When was the last time that AMD released a chip on schedual?

When I see these processors in the hands of Tom's Anandtech, etc, and read reviews that tell of good performance for a change, and see the chips advertised on Newegg, then I'll believe it. Until then, its just an AMD fantasy to me, and I prefer reality.

I agree. But seeing as how the entire series of chipsets so far was all ATI with AMD's logo on them, and yes hybri CF was part of ATI's plans as well, it may well be something good AMD can use from AIT.

Of course if so I will give ATI more credit than AMD as ATI's chipsets normally turned out quite nice and they worked hard on it.

It's not that they have their act together, after all the Phenom cpus still suck. They are just continuing their goal....mid/low level computers. Basically the majority of the sells. It is good news for standard NON-gamers, but bad for gamers and high end users.

rhorwitz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
AMD certainly hasn't hit the ball out of the park, but the last two product introductions have been solid hits. Times are changing for the PC industry, I hope that AMD strategy follows these changes.

sailer

Splendid

I should clarify that I was talking about the 45nm chips that were in the referred article in the original post. As for the chipsets, which are in the ATI division, they have been doing fairly well from what I have seen.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
If they would release a phenom with a quad-channel memory controller then maybe integrated graphics would make more sense. They are going to have to find a way to vastly increase their memory bandwidth if fusion is going to be worth anything.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Seems to me that the new chipset is very good for AMD, it's not going to max out games at any resolution, but it will play them at low resolution and it does HD video, so it is a solid solution for an HTPC.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I believe this is the reason why people still regard AMD and AMD, and ATI as ATI. ATI's executions has been fairly well (except R600), and with competitive products.

AMD on the other side, has been delaying launches, shifting schedules, and launching uncompetitive products. Maybe they should've asked ex-ATI CEO David Orton to lead the company than Hector Ruiz.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Toms has a review of the 780 up now.

Looks VERY promising.

Couple this with Griffin and AMD may be on a bigtime winner in the laptop market with the Puma platform.

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

AMD hit the ball outa the park many times. It's just people like you who either refuse to admit it or maybe you are unaware.

The Barcelona sold out in 3 days at newegg.com

Some reported that they are over clocking it to 4.7Ghz. (liquid)

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

One problem: Most people only recognize Centrino... :lol:

It doesn't carry much cred here unless the laptop is a second or third or nth system as the graphics in the notebooks branded as Centrino suck. Even as far as IGPs go, the latest-and-greatest X3100 is at the bottom of the pack compared to the Radeon x1270 and GeForece 7150M.

Plus, most of us are desktop guys anyway and I haven't heard squat basically anywhere about VPro or VIIV for desktops. I've probably heard more people talk about AMD's Spider platform than any Intel desktop platform to tell the truth.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

Man, A64 was 5 years ago... and the new guy (Ruiz) tends to strike out instead. ;)

The Barcelona sold out in 3 days at newegg.com

Some reported that they are over clocking it to 4.7Ghz. (liquid)

:lol: :lol: :lol: "No comment required"

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
Man, A64 was 5 years ago... and the new guy (Ruiz) tends to strike out instead. ;)

In all honesty, I'm surprised Intel lived to release the Core 2 Duo.
Here's a chart of Intel's crappy products: 486sx, pentium pro, pentium 2, pentium 3, pentium 4.

Amd's crappy products:
R600
Phenom

Although, note that AMD's crappy products have the right price whereas I remember all of intel's products selling a lot higher than AMD's overpowered toys.

So AMD had 2 so-so products.... so what?

sailer

Splendid

At first I wondered what you were smoking when I read that "over clocking it to 4.7Ghz. :pt1cable:

Then I realized that there are four cores, so multiplying an overclock of 1.175Ghz per core times the four cores would come up with a total clock of 4.7Ghz for the entire chip. Now, is that what you really meant? Otherwise...ROFL... :lol: :lol:

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

That's definitely true. I hate to bring this up, but Joe Sixpack does not know what AMD is. I once told my friend, who's looking for a new laptop, that she can use AMD to save some bucks. She just looked at me as if I just said Marsian.

I agree Intel's IGP sucks compared to ATi and Nvidia's IGPs. I guess Intel still needs to work on making a higher performing graphic chipset.

Most people talk about AMD's Spider platform because its new. Centrino has been on the market since...2002? VPro and VIIV are basically craps, with VPro being slightly salvageable. VIIV is just an utter failure, and Intel pulled the plug on it a while back.

To be honest, this is where AMD is seriously falling behind: public appeal. Although more people are getting introduced to AMD system, majority of them still have no clue what AMD is.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

The last I heard the 65nm Barcelona could do 3.6Ghz on air, according to a Newegg customer (who did not purchase the product from Newegg)

So 4.7Ghz sounds really plausible for me... in terms of a Newegg user. :lol: :lol:

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

They got their act together months ago, it just takes time to get products ready for production. Likewise their act wasn't together alot earlier than you might otherwise think. Yeah they've only demo'd a few chips, but its proof of progress nonetheless. The next 3-4 months are C R U C I A L for them.