hp 320lx memory info needed for upgrade attempt

a b } Memory
May 22, 2004 9:23:52 PM

good day to all. here is my question I have a hp320lx that I got for free :)
nice little unit for free but somewhat lacking in system memory. I think 8
or 16 meg would be much more suited to my needs. after searching the net for
the last 12 hours for info on memory upgrades or hardware information on
this unit I came up with nothing relevant. I do know that the memory is
soldered to the board, and supposedly not upgradeable. to me this doesn't
rule out not upgradeable just being soldered to the mobo. so if I resolder
larger ram chipt to the board , will I effectively upgrade the ram ? is the
cpu able to allocate memory above 4 meg? if so why cant I upgrade the chips
on board! also while im thinking of it , the upgradeable rom (OS() slot ..
is this thing able to be messed with ? and does anyone have a schematic or
pinout of this thing? I mean if someone put a flash rom on a board that they
could plug in, you should be able to write your own operating system for
this thing and apps all to flash rom and you can just plug in..
anyway any info on upgrading or modifying this unit would be helpful
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 24, 2004 5:55:11 PM

I have one of these units which I bought back in 1998. (How did you score
one for free?!)
The device came with a small amount of RAM which only stays as memory
provided you don't remove both the main batteries and lithium backup battery
simultaneously.
The operating system was Windows CE 1.0.
I installed a chip in the RAM slot at the bottom which upgraded the RAM to
about 8MB and the operating system to Windows CE 2.0.
The only other way that I've found to get additional memory was the purchase
of a PCMCIA card. Use can also use Compact Flash cards as the device has
slots to take both.
It's still a pretty slow device but at the time was handy. Did a lot of
tertiary studies on it.
I later upgraded to the HP Jornada 680e which has 16MB of internal RAM and a
colour screen. It runs Windows CE 3.01. I still use this sometimes, such as
recently to write code in HTML but my main device of choice is the Treo 270
but this runs on the Palm OS, not Windows CE.

"tem" <mpr_321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> good day to all. here is my question I have a hp320lx that I got for free
:)
> nice little unit for free but somewhat lacking in system memory. I think 8
> or 16 meg would be much more suited to my needs. after searching the net
for
> the last 12 hours for info on memory upgrades or hardware information on
> this unit I came up with nothing relevant. I do know that the memory is
> soldered to the board, and supposedly not upgradeable. to me this doesn't
> rule out not upgradeable just being soldered to the mobo. so if I resolder
> larger ram chipt to the board , will I effectively upgrade the ram ? is
the
> cpu able to allocate memory above 4 meg? if so why cant I upgrade the
chips
> on board! also while im thinking of it , the upgradeable rom (OS() slot ..
> is this thing able to be messed with ? and does anyone have a schematic or
> pinout of this thing? I mean if someone put a flash rom on a board that
they
> could plug in, you should be able to write your own operating system for
> this thing and apps all to flash rom and you can just plug in..
> anyway any info on upgrading or modifying this unit would be helpful

Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 24, 2004 5:55:12 PM

i got it for free from someone that upgraded :D  they diddnt want it anymore
and i was glad to take it.
so the ce 2.0 does upgrade the memory to 8mb which is good to know. is this
the "internal memory" that everything refers to? if yes , why isnt it
upgradeable for someone with a soldering iron? if no how does it upgrade the
memory to 8 mb?? im kinda looking at unofficial upgrades here ;)  i have had
some experience with replacing some surface mount ICs and looking to see
what i can do to this thing.. either way ill hunt around the net for the 2.0
upgrade ;)
"The Supreme Reverend" <suprevqc@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> I have one of these units which I bought back in 1998. (How did you score
> one for free?!)
> The device came with a small amount of RAM which only stays as memory
> provided you don't remove both the main batteries and lithium backup
battery
> simultaneously.
> The operating system was Windows CE 1.0.
> I installed a chip in the RAM slot at the bottom which upgraded the RAM to
> about 8MB and the operating system to Windows CE 2.0.
> The only other way that I've found to get additional memory was the
purchase
> of a PCMCIA card. Use can also use Compact Flash cards as the device has
> slots to take both.
> It's still a pretty slow device but at the time was handy. Did a lot of
> tertiary studies on it.
> I later upgraded to the HP Jornada 680e which has 16MB of internal RAM and
> colour screen. It runs Windows CE 3.01. I still use this sometimes, such
as
> recently to write code in HTML but my main device of choice is the Treo
270
> but this runs on the Palm OS, not Windows CE.
>
> "tem" <mpr_321@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > good day to all. here is my question I have a hp320lx that I got for
free
> :)
> > nice little unit for free but somewhat lacking in system memory. I think
8
> > or 16 meg would be much more suited to my needs. after searching the net
> for
> > the last 12 hours for info on memory upgrades or hardware information on
> > this unit I came up with nothing relevant. I do know that the memory is
> > soldered to the board, and supposedly not upgradeable. to me this
doesn't
> > rule out not upgradeable just being soldered to the mobo. so if I
resolder
> > larger ram chipt to the board , will I effectively upgrade the ram ? is
> the
> > cpu able to allocate memory above 4 meg? if so why cant I upgrade the
> chips
> > on board! also while im thinking of it , the upgradeable rom (OS() slot
> > is this thing able to be messed with ? and does anyone have a schematic
or
> > pinout of this thing? I mean if someone put a flash rom on a board that
> they
> > could plug in, you should be able to write your own operating system for
> > this thing and apps all to flash rom and you can just plug in..
> > anyway any info on upgrading or modifying this unit would be helpful

a b } Memory
May 25, 2004 4:29:49 PM

Yes, this is the "internal memory". From my understanding, the chip that I
put in at the bottom contains the extra memory and the Windows CE 2.0
operating system.Windows CE is stored as ROM so it can't actually be erased.
My upgradde came from HP so you can try them first or if they don't have it,
they may be able to point you to somewhere that might have it. Being pretty
old machines in today's standards, I would think it hard to get the part but
you never know your luck.
I might also like to tell you that software for Windows CE is pretty scarce
too. Back then, it was easy to find software to download but since the
introduction of subsequent operating systems such as Pocket PC, CE software
is hard to come by.

With the storage capabilities of compact flash cards and other devices such
as IBM's Microdisk (a 1GB hard drive the size of a PCMCIA card), I've often
wondered why they didn't make upgradeable memory like this as standard
instead of the memory they have used which needs to be retained using
batteries.

> [...]
is
> > the
> > > cpu able to allocate memory above 4 meg? if so why cant I upgrade the
> > chips
> > > on board! also while im thinking of it , the upgradeable rom (OS()
slot
> ..
> > > is this thing able to be messed with ? and does anyone have a
schematic
> or
> > > pinout of this thing? I mean if someone put a flash rom on a board
that
> > they
> > > could plug in, you should be able to write your own operating system
for
> > > this thing and apps all to flash rom and you can just plug in..
> > > anyway any info on upgrading or modifying this unit would be helpful

May 25, 2004 4:29:50 PM

same about the memory thing .. and as far as programms go, ill see what i
can find and write what i need. this is more of a fun lil play toy to mess
with .. i do know some programming so i might be able to makethis thing do
something useful after all ;)  and i do know a little asm so that is also an
experement waiting to happen hehehe..
and knowing that the memory is actually on the upgrade is good to know. one
of these two big chip i would assume is the rom and the other the ram.. and
since the machine can address a lot more memory than they actually put in it
( think. at least i know 8 meg ) im wondering about replacing the ICs with
new ones assuming i can find some kind of drop in replacement without too
much hacking involved. (yes yes i know surface mount ICs blah blah .. im not
afraid ;) ) but by the looks of the chips they look way proprietary so thats
not good ( ill be searching the net tonight for another 8 - 12 hours i see )
after checking online and with the manufactures etc.. ill see where taht
gets me.. as for the rom , it may not be upgradeable or eraceable like you
said, but it might be able to be switched out with anoher chip (perhaps flah
rom or eeprom or something with some circuitry) so as to allow you to
address a new IC instead of this one effectively giving you a testbed for
new operating systems or modifications to the existing os . i need to find
more indepth technical specs :/ ..

!